Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly update thread: Aug. 24 - Aug. 30th (Read 307 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Good job, pitters. Pace is something that takes time to master.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

The young Mama Bear!

Just did my first 3-miler around my neighborhood...and it hurt. A good hurt! I haven't had a proper run in almost a week, so it felt nice to have pavement to pound. The first two miles were fine but that last mile was a killer. About 41 minutes later, I'm sitting on my porch...exhausted but glad. Smile And that route included KILLER hills. 30 degree hill repeats... Cyndi, that's good. I personally thought that W6 was harder all-around, but you'll be just fine with W5D3. Pitters, that's a typical problem with runners. I still have problems with pacing...like today - my program told me to run 3 miles @ 16:19 pace. I cannot possibly run that slow without wanting to just stop and walk, so I did it at my discretion. Which meant 13:40 pace. Oops. Blush What matters is the re-pacing. Good on you.
      Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
      Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.

More turtle than hare...

So, here's something I shouldn't be surprised at (but still am). For probably the first time in my life, I did some stretches after my run. Lo and behold, I feel great! It was sort of a crummy run overall (a lot of telling myself, it's runs like these that make good runs feel great) but now I feel all loose and limber and strong, instead of tight and brittle. Who knew, the experts were right after all! Tongue
          I did W1D2 today... As I told in the very beginning of this thread, I started all over again to enable my friend to run with me... I must admin, it felt a little bit boring to run only those short bits...

Running in Belgium
          Ann

Wow I can't believe I'm already on week 7. Day 1 today. I went with my dad at 730AM Shocked never getting up early again! I was hoping that my dad was wrong but he made it all the way. How can he do 2.5 miles his first tme and it took me 7 weeks??
            Goals: Run.
              yeah maybe I need to try running not on concrete. That is 90% of my running. hmmm... interesting. Unlapsing - I love stretching!!! That may be one of my favorite things. It really does feel great to get a really good stretch in. I'm struggling because I lost so much of my flexiblity when I quit dancing and now I am trying to get it back. Stretching used to be super easy and relaxing. Now I have to actually work for it. Sad But I always think my body feels the best after a great stretch which for me is about 20 min. I haven't been sore really since I started so I think the stretching really is a must! Even after a crappy run, stretching feel great and makes me feel better about how my body feels.

The young Mama Bear!

How can he do 2.5 miles his first tme and it took me 7 weeks??
                Previous fitness, that's all I can say.
                Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.

Baby bean!

Okay, I'm hopping on here. I had my own training going, but somehow it got a bit hard to do, possibly because of a small window of recovery between running and walking. So, I started with W4D1 and added some more (due to a crappy 2 weeks between weather and personal stuff), sooooooooo, I'm in!!! Big grin Hope you don't mind me crashing here!

Goals:
                  Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

The young Mama Bear!

Got ya, sushigirl. Keep running or I'll run you out of town with my GoogleDocs pitchfork. Joking! Wink Haha, Yap. "The Yap's Son"...hilarity. I guess when I shorten people's nicks, they stick!
                    MoonStar

Watch out for those dads, Olivars. They might just beat you. Evil grin I would never dream of challenging mine. Even at age 74 I suspect he could still kick my butt. He's an ex-marathoner who messed his knees up, had surgery, turned to race walking and I found out recently could do a 5 K WALKING about a 8:30 mile about 15 years ago - Which is WAY faster than my running pace is now or probably ever will be. Now at the age of 74, I wouldn't want to test him. He probably could still beat me even though he hasn't race walked for several years - due to knee replacement and bad arthritis. Have had a series of injuries over the last month, planning on starting back running this week though. Hopefully am not set back too far. Was going to start back last week but ankle was still hurting.
                      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Unlapsing - I love stretching!!! That may be one of my favorite things. It really does feel great to get a really good stretch in. I'm struggling because I lost so much of my flexiblity when I quit dancing and now I am trying to get it back. Stretching used to be super easy and relaxing. Now I have to actually work for it. Sad But I always think my body feels the best after a great stretch which for me is about 20 min. I haven't been sore really since I started so I think the stretching really is a must! Even after a crappy run, stretching feel great and makes me feel better about how my body feels.
                        Mimi, have you tried yoga at all since you quit dancing? It's very complimentary with running. (I recommend it to everyone here.) I use a DVD at home usually, but might be taking a class this fall with my SIL. (We haven't decided between yoga and belly dancing.) Yoga is a great way to stretch out, relax and get your fkexibility back.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

MichelleD

Okay, I'm finally running again! Monday I did W5D3. I didn't want to start with such a long run after not running for a couple of months Blush, but I couldn't get my mp3 player to talk to my computer, so I just went with what was already loaded. I'm glad I did, too! I couldn't believe that I was able to jump back in and run 20 minutes. It was HARD, but I did it. I'm not moving on to week 6 just yet. I'm going to go back and do W5 days 1 and 2, I think (if I can get them loaded), or at least do D3 a couple of times. This gives me hope that I could actually run a 5K on October 18. I'm going to send out the registration this weekend!!!!

More turtle than hare...

(We haven't decided between yoga and belly dancing.)
                            Meg, I've never done yoga so I can't speak to that, but I loved the belly dancing classes I've done. Lots of working on muscles you don't know you have, and of course the laughing muscles get a workout! Smile
                            erendis

just did week9 day 2. ran in the afternoon for the 1st time and i HATED it!! everything felt wrong- like my shorts were too tight and my earbuds kept falling out and just bleh. in order to keep running in the morning after this week, i'd have to run at 5am (!!) i know there's a lot of runners who do the early am runs- how do you get yourself out of bed and rolling that early? i need to know!!
                              I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso

The young Mama Bear!

Erendis, I've actually never got out of bed that early in order to run but my motto is: If you want it that bad, you'll do it. Morning runners get out of bed because they have to, want to, love to. It takes getting used to (I'm a morning runner now) but it's worth being done with half of your exercise for the day before the day technically begins!