Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

weekly thread: June 29 - July 5 (Read 350 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Don't worry, it gets easier to deal with. You actually start looking forward to it. Wink
    Very true. I can see a real difference in how I feel on days I don't run. On run days, I'm more relaxed and the days I don't run, I find my stress level is higher. I'm glad today is a run today. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I know that the days AFTER I run I am a starving beast in search of any and all food. LOL I repress it since I'm trying to lose weight but it is crazy.
      The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
      • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
      • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
      • Complete a 10K fun run

More turtle than hare...

Three runs planned this week, three runs completed!! I'm so pleased that I've been sticking to the program and haven't pooped out. Yay! Week seven completed. It's so good to read everyone's successes and motivation. Go team!

50 halfs by age 50

W6D3 done! Yikes, that 25 min deal looked hard on paper but I actually over ran by 30 sec Cool Happy 4th of July! This is officially the week-long kickoff of my annual birthday celebration which culminates next Fri...always nice that folks like to do those fireworks just for me. Big grin Seriously, though, I turn 40 next Friday...I'm a little scared

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

The young Mama Bear!

Meg, totally true. Yesterday was hectic and I wished that that was my run day! I guess it's for the best - today I get to run, instead. Smile Wee, now that I started 'running' I can eat a horse all day, everyday. Before I could control my hunger but now I'm like BREAD! PASTA! TUNA! Surprised Unlapsing, good for you!! Chimera, good on you as well! As for turning 40, it's the new 30! I'm about half your age but I know you have plenty more to enjoy. Happy early birthday! Smile
            Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
            Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
              Seriously, though, I turn 40 next Friday...I'm a little scared
              Smile That was the first birthday that I really started to get worried about. So, I went ahead and married a guy who is 36 and can pretend that I'm not really over 40!! Wink Seriously, though. I often forget the age number that applies to me. Because, ultimately, I'm still just me. I think that since I never had kids, I've never ever felt like I made the full step into adulthood. Mentally, I still kind of feel like the same kid, teenager, young adult that I was many years ago. Oh, well. My philosophical musings aren't making a whole bunch of sense! Just - that 40 is nothing to worry about!! I haven't been posting, but I'm two runs into week five of the Cto5k. I'm enjoying the longer runs and am looking forward to the 20 minute run. I'll probably do it tomorrow.
              ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
              zzz

Crummy run today.... just felt awful.... hot...sweaty... drippy and gross.... we finished which i am glad of and then went under the bleachers and lay down on the cool concrete while the breeze shot through the hallway... felt awesome then.... Laurie is getting awful shin splints.... does anyone know what will help that?? wee... i totally get what you mean about being ravenous and trying to lose weight... let me know if you discover the magic key. Big grin I could eat an elephant sometimes. settled for a delmonico steak last night instead LOL. unlapsing....great job of sticking to the program!! I can't wait to get to week 7. Smile Happy Birthday Chimera!! And Meg Happy Late Canada Day.... Have a great fourth of July everyone!!! c-yaaaaa oh hey anyone want to plan on doing the princess 1/2 marathon at disneyworld with laurie and I in March of 09?????
                CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Crummy run today.... just felt awful.... hot...sweaty... drippy and gross.... we finished which i am glad of and then went under the bleachers and lay down on the cool concrete while the breeze shot through the hallway... felt awesome then.... Laurie is getting awful shin splints.... does anyone know what will help that??
                  Toe taps! Really these are good for all runners to prevent and help with shin splits. CeliacChris posted this on the main board in a thread about shin splints.... "Toe taps: when sitting down, with your feet flat, leave your heels on the floor and tap your toes up and down. 50 with your feet pointing straight ahead; 50 with them pointing to the right, 50 with them pointing to the left. Repeat whenever you remember, until you think you'll scream if you do another set. Then do another set." Shin splints can be caused by increasing your mileage too quickly or wearing shoes that are worn out as far as cushioning and support. Just something to keep in mind. I started to get some shin soreness when I started running; I did toe taps three times a day and replaced my shoes. No problems since. Good luck and thanks for the Canada Day wishes. Happy fourth of July to the American ladies here! (Today is my sister's 40th birthday!)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

zzz

hey Meg thanks a ton... i will give her a call and tell her what you just told me... i feel bad for her and definitely don't want her to get sidelined so soon. ok on a whiney note..... does this stuff really get easier.... i feel like a whimp and no worries about me quitting AT ALL, but someone please tell me that this gets easier LOL.... i mean the running portion of this really seems so minimal but it's kicking my butt. ok well today it did...last run before today was ok... so maybe it really is just a bad day but sheesh!! Tell your sister that we said Happy Birthday!! Does she run too?
                    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

It does get easier. My log is public access; if you look at my early runs, I was struggling and my later ones are much better. (If you look at individual workouts, I have notes on how the run went.) Nope, this isn't the sister that does Ironman triathlons who is having the birthday. This is my oldest sister although she was checking out my shoes when she visited a couple of weeks ago so maybe! (I have four sisters and one brother; he got engaged last weekend.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

MoonStar

W9d2 done. Legs have recovered from Hydrorider. Haven't decided if I want to do OHR or not. Not sure if I really want to spend that much time running at this point. Husband turns 40 tomorrow... I'm the young'un at 37 - ok, almost 38. Want to start incorporating more cross training - but am a little worried it will sideline my running - like the hydrorider used my calves more than predicted. I would like to do a sprint triathalon. Does anyone know of any programs like the C25K for that? I was a swimmer in high school, but had trouble making a 750 last week when I tried. I think I could do all the individual parts of a sprint - although very slowly as I am still running a 13-14 minute mile usually, but don't have any really idea of how to link it together. Any thoughts? Wingz, does R have any specific program he used? Of course he is in much better shape than I am...
                        MoonStar

Just read the OHR training plan. I was confused. Thought it was working up to 1 hour 3 x week instead of just having 1 long run instead and since the 1st 3 weeks of OHR are 30 minute runs anyways so I guess I have a minute to decide if I want to go that way or not. Wink
                          obiebyke

I'm baaack! Hi guys! Welcome Muffin, good job everyone. Thought I'd chime in to MoonStar-- Yeah, at the finish of OHR, you can run 60 minutes. But once. My plan is to do the following, starting with first week post-OHR: 35 mins, 45 mins, 60 mins 40 mins, 50 mins, 60 mins 45 mins, 55 mins, 60 mins.. And so on. Then I'm going to add a fourth run a week, 15 mins at a time, until I have four 60 minute runs. I made this program up, but I'll let you know how it works. I had a really hard time emotionally last week and missed some runs, so I'm backing down to 30-40-60 this week.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

50 halfs by age 50

oh hey anyone want to plan on doing the princess 1/2 marathon at disneyworld with laurie and I in March of 09?????
                              Are you in FL, turtlechick? I'm torn on the princess 1/2. I do many of the Disney races, but $120 for registration is a bit much. I'll be doing my 4th Disney half in Jan, then the Sarasota 1/2 in Feb and not sure adding a third 1/2 so soon is a good idea. Obie...hope you're doing okay. Emotional stuff sometimes kills me on a run, sometimes running helps. If you need anything, consider us group therapy Smile

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

The young Mama Bear!

ok on a whiney note..... does this stuff really get easier.... i feel like a whimp and no worries about me quitting AT ALL, but someone please tell me that this gets easier LOL.... i mean the running portion of this really seems so minimal but it's kicking my butt. ok well today it did...last run before today was ok... so maybe it really is just a bad day but sheesh!!
                                I firmly believe that C25K conditions you at least partially for the next week. If you honestly aren't comfortable with advancing, repeat the week...there's no shame in that! Week 3 is honestly much easier for me than Week 1 and W2D2 was...it gets better. Smile And if there's an impossible day, I will warn you! LOL. By the way, I avoid eating anything before or during my runs. The thought of things jostling in my stomach and giving me stomach cramps is just gross. Try to stick with fluids if you can. Just MHO. Smile
                                Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                                Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.