Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

weekly thread: June 29 - July 5 (Read 350 times)

zzz

Chimera we live in Virginia.... about 20 minutes from VA Beach. We are going to drive down there with hubbys in tow.... kind of a weekend without kids etc etc and do the Princess 1/2. Yes we are thinking that $120 is steep too, but we really really want to do a Disney run and the regular half was sold out already. Sad That would be great to have other girls to run with that we know... let me know if you decide to do it. Smile hey goddess... thanks for the cheer and for running ahead for us. Big grin We had a banana before we ran and we also ran in the am instead of late pm so I wonder if that had anything to do with it or maybe it was just a crap run... i've heard sometimes you just have junk days. but i am glad we pushed through ( i told her about HTFU and she laughed) We'll go again Sunday and I'll let y'all know how it went. Hope everyone had a great 4th and got to see some great fireworks. we went to friend's house and got three shot off and the fire marshall just happened to be driving by when that happened.... so i saw three fireworks.... GAH!! Angry oh hey meg.... i noticed on your log that you did some back to back running days... was that helpful? do you still do it? talk to y'all later
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I tried some back to back and it wasn't great for me at that time. I found the third day was pretty rough. I suspect part of that was that I wasn't in good enough shape at the time to bounce back so quick. One thing I am sure of is that two days off is alright; three days is too many for me. I need to keep that in mind with back to back running days. If I run Tuesday-Wednesday instead of Tuesday-Thursday, I better be able to run Saturday. It looks like I might have a couple of back to backs this month.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

running buddies

I could use some reassurance and encouragement - Our power went off on Wednesday evening. Out here in the boonies, when we lose power, we lose water. I planned to run Thursday, but I get SO dirty when I run - bug spray, sweat, dirt from the trail all over my legs - that I thought I'd put it off until the power came back on or until I found a place I knew I could shower afterwards. I thought I was putting it off for a few hours or maybe a day. Now it's Saturday, and our power just came back on, so I haven't run for 3 days. I'm trying to get motivated to go for a run this afternoon. (the thought of a second shower today sounds kind of nice) I was thinking that if I could run Saturday, Sunday (both "short" runs for the OHR week 4), then the "long" run on Tuesday (whopping 3 minutes longer than today), then Thursday, Friday short runs just this week, that would get me to having my long runs on Sundays, which works a lot better than a weekday for me. Does that seem overly ambitious? Two back-to-back run days in a week? I would just stick with the every other day except for trying to get my long days onto a weekend day. I've been doing 30 minute runs every other day for 4 weeks, so...? Obiebyke, let me know how your after-OHR plan works for you. I was hoping to get to 3 OHRs a week eventually. No big rush - I just want to keep going. Which is why this 3 day off (and low motivational level today) is bugging me.
        "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
        CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Runswithdogs, it's going to feel great to get out there and run today. You've built up a solid base so play it by feel with the back to backs. My best advice is to really be careful all week to make sure you are eating well, sleeping enough and hydrating well to give your body the best prep for those back to back runs. Good luck!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

gwhutch

OHR w8d3 is in the books. I have found that anything over 40 minutes is really tough.
            CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

OHR w8d3 is in the books. I have found that anything over 40 minutes is really tough.
              Just remember, at one time 30 minutes was tough! You'll cruise through that 40 one of these runs. Today was a crazy day and I just couldn't break away for a run. I'm not too concerned though since I ran Tuesday-Thursday. I'll still finish my last week in a week. Tongue

Half Fanatic #9292. 

I finished OHR Week 4 and my first longer run went fine with the exception of two mistakes. First, I did my strength training before my run since I was still waiting for it to cool down. I also upped my weight today so I sweat was sheeting off me before I even started. Second mistake, I use my old "failed" running shoes as workout shoes so I don't wear out my running shoes with lateral motion... well, I forgot to switch shoes. My knee and feet hurt for most of the 2nd half. After a soak in the pool and massage I'm all better. Learned that lesson, the accidental switch wasn't even noticed till the end of the run and I just couldn't figure out what was wrong. Guess my new shoes are "the ones" Keep up the great work everyone. BTW: this week something switched in me. I am a runner now. Not sure when the change happened but it was like a lightbulb.
                You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here
                theyapper

On the road again...

Well, I have my first little injury. I was down in Mississippi for the past week and the only change (other than venue) was that I ran on a treadmill instead of the road. Not sure if that had anything to do with it, but the front part of my lower left leg kills me when I flex my foot up or back (so, basically with every step). I'm headed up to W. Virginia this week, so I'm taking a 7-10 day break to really recover. I've iced it a lot the last 2 days and taken some anti-inflammatory meds and it already feels a ton better. So, I'm on hold in the middle of OHR W4. I'll do my Day 3 long run on Friday, July 11. I'll check back in as I can and see the progress everyone's making. Have a great week, everyone!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Wingz

Professional Noob

Charts updated. Big grin MoonStar, what worked for R for starting tri training was that he joined a tri club at the local YMCA. They sponsor runs, bike rides, and swim workouts, and the swim workouts are coached. You may want to look into a club like that. It'd get you in closer contact with people who make triathlon training part of their lives. Hanging out with people interested in fitness tends to have a positive effect on YOUR fitness habits. I've learned this first hand with R. Big grin And a good coach will encourage you to do what you can now and to continue improving. Maybe you can't swim a hard 750 now. But I'll bet that with enough rest and an easy pace you could do 5 x 50's without too much trouble. Start with what you CAN do, and that'll improve. Kind of like when you started running you couldn't go for more than like a minute... and now you're cranking out 28+ minute runs. Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

The young Mama Bear!

Week 3 is done as of 5 minutes ago! Cool I had NO knee pain at all, but that's probably because I avoid the sides of the roads (camber = death) and I really concentrated on lifting my legs up after every stride, keeping my posture straight but loose and focusing on something near my destination. I even sped up at the end of the last 3-minute interval. I could have kept going! I was wondering how quickly I could do a quarter of a mile now that I'm 1/3 of the way done. I did .28 miles in 3:07, which I think is good for a big girl! I need encouragement for W4...I'm scared! I can hunker down and do the 3 minute intervals but I'm not so sure I can do 5 right now... Shocked The rest of the program is what I have been dreading! Help! turtlechick, good on ya! I'll be waiting to hear how your run was! Smile Meg + everyone else that is about to finish/is in OHR right now, I'm rooting for you!
                      Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                      Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                      zzz

hey goddess... we run again tonight so i'll let you know.... i was thinking that 3 weeks ago running for 60 seconds was a huge obstacle to overcome and you've licked 3 minutes right? You'll do fine!! Congrats on another week down!!!
                        MoonStar

Goddess9 - When I started the program several months ago I couldn't run at all. Ok, well maybe for 1 minute. I totally freaked at the idea of the 1st 20 minute run and repeated the week several times before I actually did it. I am now almost done week 9 - I keep on being sidelined by attempts at cross training that leave me sore ( did aerobics on Sunday and biked this am) but plan on doing w9d3 on Tuesday now. I am also what I guess you could call a "big girl" - very likely even bigger than you - as I am now down to 252. I have also never been a runner. Ironically I tried running in high school when I was literally half the weight I am now but never liked it and remember my legs hurt me. I didn't have the great training program that We do here though! Big grin I credit the C25k program/podcast and this web site with helping me along the way. Don't think I could have done it on my own.

The young Mama Bear!

turtlechick, you've got a point! I nearly tripled the time I am able to jog so I guess I should just HTFU and do it come Tuesday! Thanks for the encouragement! Smile Moonstar, I was almost your weight when I first started working out (about March 2007, at 245 lbs.) and I'm about 210 right now after a 9 month hiatus. I'm glad I'm not the only big girl that's doing this!
                            Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                            Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.

running buddies

goddess9 - You can absolutely do Week 4! Just let yourself do it, and don't psych yourself out. Go slow, and if you have to repeat the week once or twice or more, so be it. Glad your knee pain is better. Smile
                              "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
                              Wingz

Professional Noob

Goddess9 - No, you're not the only big girl. I was 210 when I started (currently 160-ish), and like so many others here couldn't run a minute without gasping and thinking I was going to die!!! When my coworkers have asked, I usually credit my weight loss to running. But I think that's only part of the picture. Running... but more-so it's the fact that in running I have been able to successfully make and meet a series of goals. I have been able to see myself accomplish what I'd never thought possible. And that gave me a LOT of self-confidence. I started feeling better about myself and somehow that made it easier to want to take care of myself. I hear you loud and clear when you're looking ahead and freaking out wondering how on earth you're going to do it. But believe me, YOU ARE! You are going to be able to do this. Just make up your mind that you're going to try and try and no matter what you're not going to let ANYTHING get in between you and that goal, and you'll do it! Then, come Tuesday, go out there and give it a try! You already know you can run for 3 minutes. So... if for some reason you can only run for 4 minutes, is that a failure? Heck no! It means that you're making progress towards your goal but you're still working towards it. What's wrong with that? What's wrong with making progress but not being at your goal yet? Big grin Tell yourself that the time-table for reaching your goal can be flexible but whether or not you reach it is NOT open for negotiation. Then go do your best! I'll bet you surprise yourself. Smile

Roads were made for journeys...