Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Hi all! I'm a newbie!!! (Read 258 times)

Hi everyone! I am new here...lurking forEVER it seems, but never started until now. I finally started the C25K program on 2/4/08. I have never run before in my life, except in school when FORCED to. I've always wanted to though. I haven't actually worked out in over 10 years, before I had my daughter. Needless to say, I feel like I am SOOO far behind most of the people here but I'm going to give it a "TRUE" effort. I want to lose weight as well as get in shape. My goal is to run in a 5K with my daughter later this year. She runs a lot in her karate training but neither my husband nor I do any form of exercise. So, because diet alone hasn't changed anything major, we've both decided to start an exercise regimen. So, for my first walk/run, I couldn't even do the basic 60/90 run/walk combo listed on the C25K program. Is it okay to start out walking at a moderate pace, add in a couple of 60 second "sprints", then walk again? If so, how do I know how long to do it (other than falling out b/c I'm out of shape)... I really enjoy reading all of your input and information and appreciate you all being here. It is motivation to me to see how long some of you have been into running, how its changed your lives, and knowing that one day, I'll be there too. Take care, Amber
    obiebyke

Welcome Amber! Yay for newbies! Start where you can. Walking is fine. And if you can jog a little, do it. Don't sprint! Who was it who has talked about measuring intervals by light pole to light pole? That might be a good way to do it. Hope you post your log soon. That'll help everyone keep up with you.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Hi Obiebyke. So I don't truly sprint, just light jog. Blush I think if I sprinted now I'd pass out and fly off the back of my treadmill Shocked I did do a couple of 60 second light jogs at intervals though which felt good. Smile

Loose Cannon

I'm in exactly the same position, that I can't do all the 60-second intervals quite yet. What I do is make myself jog at least at some point during every 60-second jogging interval. So even if I only run 30-45 seconds of it, or heck, even 15 seconds by the 7th interval, at least I'm doing part of it. I hope/expect that as I go along, I'll be able to increase the jogging to do all of the entire 60-second intervals. I also have a question. I have an exercise DVD by Leslie Sansone where you walk/march in place for 3-minute intervals and jog in place for 2-minute intervals at a brisk pace. I couldn't get to the gym yesterday (closed due to weather) so I did that DVD, and I was wondering why I was able to jog in place so much longer than I was able to jog on the track. It must really take a lot more muscles to propel a person forward, but I consoled myself saying that at least I was improving my cardiac endurance. Roll eyes
          Started C25K 2/5/08 Goal: Healthy Family Fun Run/Walk 5K WI Dells 5/10 If not ready for a 5K by 5/10: Shithouse 5K LaCrosse 7/26/08
          Wingz

Professional Noob

Welcome, turtle66 and ladyveg! Big grin So glad you're joining us, and congratulations on starting the couch-to-5K program! I'm sure you're really excited, but two words: be patient! Given enough time, running can change your life! For the better! Big grin Again, really glad you're here! Dont' be shy about joining the weekly threads that obiebyke had been so good about starting... Wink

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm sure you're really excited, but two words: be patient! Given enough time, running can change your life! For the better! Big grin
              Yep...running's all about tricking your body into increasingly longer distances. Be patient--you'll get there! The gentler you are to your body, the less apt you'll be to end up benched with an injury. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay