Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Week of 5/3 - 5/9 (Read 468 times)

RookieRider

I started my second round of week 5 today. W5D1 done. For the first time today I used my NIKE+ which tells me distance. I was so disappointed to learn I only went .75 miles. I will have to adjust the distance for all of my runs now that I know how far I'm running. Previously I had tracked my distance using a map on mapmyride or mapmyrun. I had to create the trail myself because it wasn't on a map. That was why my distance was so far off. I'm so glad I have the Nike+ even if I did run less distance than I thought I ran. Good luck everyone
    2009 goals Complete C25K Run my first 5k Run another 5k Cycle a half century Cycle EVERY week

Baby bean!

I would definitely try that again. That seems like a short distance for the time you were out. Undecided Can you go to a track and calibrate the Nike + again? But either way, GREAT JOB getting to week 5!!! That's a huge accomplishment! I completed what is technically known as w6 d2 (the 10/10 segment). I will admit that I'm getting anxious for the 25 min. run next week. Excited though!

Goals:
      Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

You Are Beautiful.

+1 for recalibrating

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
        Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

My Little Pony hair.

Definitely try recalibrating. I think the Nike+ works similarly to a pedometer and assumes that your walking and running strides are the same; I can't use a pedometer because my running stride is shorter than my walking stride for the most part.

2011 Goals:

• lose more weight
          • run 1000k
          • be more confident in my running abilities

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop. | my running blog | upcoming races

I also agree that you probably need some recalibrating. Unless you're jogging in place, I don't think you could possibly going that short of a distance Wink Had PERFECT weather for a run this morning....60 and sunny with a bit of a breeze. I've officially finished week four, and do, in fact, feel ready to tackle week five. Yay!!
            Wingz

Professional Noob

I started my second round of week 5 today. W5D1 done. For the first time today I used my NIKE+ which tells me distance. I was so disappointed to learn I only went .75 miles. I will have to adjust the distance for all of my runs now that I know how far I'm running. Previously I had tracked my distance using a map on mapmyride or mapmyrun. I had to create the trail myself because it wasn't on a map. That was why my distance was so far off. I'm so glad I have the Nike+ even if I did run less distance than I thought I ran. Good luck everyone
              A 40 minute mile with running would be highly unusual. Most people - in the general, non-exercising population - are comfortable walking a 20 minute mile, and with effort can do a 15-ish minute mile. Running a 17-19 min mile is quite possible - I've done it myself. Running a 40 minute mile would be very difficult to do. If your NIKE+ says you're running 40 minute miles, don't believe it.

Roads were made for journeys...

RookieRider

You'd think I would have thought of recailbrating the Nike+ myself. Roll eyes Anyway, I walked the 5k Saturday and yesterday when checking my time was quite happy. I haven't walked a 5k event in a couple years so I was happy with my 17:37 pace. Will recalibrate when time allows. Happy Cinco De Mayo
                2009 goals Complete C25K Run my first 5k Run another 5k Cycle a half century Cycle EVERY week
                  Im on week 6 Day 1. I was suppose to start yesterday but I've been at the beach for the last three days on vacation. I really didnt want to but I pushed myself out the door and went out and did it today I was really tired. Getting back on track I think thursday will be better.

My Little Pony hair.

I just did w5d2. I was a little nervous because the last 5 minute run in w5d1 seemed to give me trouble, but I actually made it through both 8 minute runs without thinking I had bitten off more than I could chew. On a random note, I really need to find myself the Chariots of Fire theme music and throw that onto the Ipod.

2011 Goals:

• lose more weight
                    • run 1000k
                    • be more confident in my running abilities

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop. | my running blog | upcoming races

Baby bean!

Okay, yay, got through the run aka W6D2 and feel confident about tackling the 25 minute run. This program can make you itchy. I still struggle the motivation to put my clothes on and get out the door (a nap always sounds so good) but by the time I get home, I feel so ambitious! My DH is trying to get me to speed up my pace. He thinks I need to push harder. I keep telling him that I want to get through this feeling successful and if that means moving slowly, so be it. Any suggestions on how to squash his well meant intentions. For the record, I think he sometimes see me as his little brother when it comes to athletic endeavors. I appreciate him wanting to get me stronger. But I don't want to feel like a failure if I can't do it. KWIM?

Goals:
                      Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Any suggestions on how to squash his well meant intentions. For the record, I think he sometimes see me as his little brother when it comes to athletic endeavors. I appreciate him wanting to get me stronger. But I don't want to feel like a failure if I can't do it. KWIM?
                        It's your body and every male should know by now that slow means slow. Clowning around
                        Wingz

Professional Noob

Maybe point out to him that you doing this your pace means that you'll like it longer means that you won't be a slug on the couch means that he'll have a sexier wife in the long term? Men should never interfere with anything that makes the wife hotter! Wink If that doesn't work, you may have to stick your fingers in your ears in front of him and go "LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU I'M NOT LISTENING LA LA LA LA LA!" Sorry I don't have better advice - that's the best I got, not knowing him and not being able to talk to him directly. Oh. You could send him over to this board and let us talk to him... How about that?

Roads were made for journeys...

You Are Beautiful.

Haven't run at all this week. Did Bloomsday on Sunday. I "walked" it with my mom (I ran about a mile and a half overall), it's a 12k (weird) so it's 7.5 miles altogether. I was unexpectedly sore. I figured I'd be able to walk that far with no problems. Confused But I started running at the major hill and ran about 1/3 of the way up it, which is very unusual for my running. I usually run on basically flat terrain. My legs finally feel recovered and I'm gonna go for week 7 day 1 today. I also think I'm going to switch gyms. I am training for a triathlon in July and I never get to use the pool at my gym. It wasn't so bad over the winter but now it's ridiculous. They only have two lap lanes which are constantly in use. So I'm looking at joining the YMCA, apparently they have 2 pools (one rec pool and one training pool), discounted rates for "low income", and the YMCA near our house has special triathlon training groups, where one has access to coaches and whatnot. So I'm gonna see about a week pass to try it out today. Should be interesting.

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
                            Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

Completed W4D3 of C25K this morning and I feel ready to move on to W5. The weather here in Iowa has been perfect for morning runs. Hope you all have an awesome weekend!
                                W6D2 completed!