Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

C25K Week #5 question (Read 297 times)

colinw

Hi everyone - thanks for all of the valuable information I have taken from these forums! I am working through the C25K program and enjoying it. I am nearly finished week #4 and doing well, even on the longer 5 minute stretches this week. I am learning that I am able to finish the 5 minute sessions and not feeling like dying!! My question relates to next week. I see there are three different sessions, which I am fine with. I am also fine with the longer 8 minute jog although it will be tough. What worries me is the workout #3 20 min jog!!! Has anyone else had problems going from 5 mins this week then to 8 and right to 20?? Seems like a pretty big jump and a major challenge. I am not sure I can do 20 mins straight, but I may surprise myself. Do you find yourselves repeating week 4 or some of the week 5 workouts to get Week 5 #3 finished successfully?

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

skinnycaponesugar

Hi Colin, I felt the exact same way as you! Smile However, I decided to give it a go anyway, and guess what? I did it ...it is a mind game, you've gotta believe you are physically ready for it. Remember that you are training to become a runner, and so you will run...you might be a bit sore after your first 20min but you'll get used to it, all the work you have done so far is preparing you for it. Let us know how you go! Smile

Love, Run, Sleep

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Colin. You're right - you may surprise yourself! Why not give it a try? This way you can go around talking about how you did your "LONG RUN" the other day... Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

colinw

OK, I will give it a shot. It seems like a big jump, but I guess I have three more runs to get in before I even attempt it, so maybe that will give me some confidence! I guess it will probably just go by and before you know it 20 mins will be over! For now I'll concentrate on finishing Week #4!

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

It was at W6D3 that really opened my eyes, you will surprise yourself next week, don't freak out you'll do just fine! Smile
            -Jen
            2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
            Wingz

Professional Noob

So, jennicap, are you in week 7 now? I'll put you on the chart...

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

no unfortunately... I WAS a graduate of C25K but then I took 2-3 months off of running and I tried to go back and have come to realize I need to redo the C25K program.... I'm not sure what week I'm on right now, I was trying to do W5D3 but it's pushing it and I'm not ready for week 6 so I might go back and start at like week 3 and just build up again. I'll let you know after the weekend which week I'm on!
                -Jen
                2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
                colinw

Thanks for thr advice everyone. Unfortunately I managed to catch the cold that is going around, and I haven't been out for a run in 6 days. I am feeling better and will get out sometime today, and try one of the long runs next weekend to see how I make out. Maybe I will surprise myself and get through 20 minutes without any issues!

colinw

I DID IT! I went out this morning for my first attempt at a "long" run and did the W5D3 20 min run with no trouble. I even felt like I could go further if I had to. It was amazing to finish the 20 minute section and think how far I have come. I could barely do the 60 second intervals 5 weeks ago! Week 6 here I come, and I am even already looking forward to the next long run at the end of next week! How crazy is that?

Wingz

Professional Noob

Very cool! Congrats! Big grin Cool