Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread: OCT 19-25 (Read 320 times)

Yesterday I cheated because i felt great and couldn´t seat in home, so I went running with the last Phed´s podcasts and broke my record... It goes to say that I´m one of those persons who need to listen to something while running. I guess in a race will be different, but right now I would feel lost running by myself. If I could I would get one of these... One monitor for RA, another for the Giz, another for my favorite spanish economic forum, photoshop... Nothing related to work of course. Big grin
    2009 goals
    • 600 km.
    • sub 100kg
    • get the first races in the belt
    Wingz

Professional Noob

That looks so cool! I want one of them too!

Roads were made for journeys...

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

WohooO! Just got back from my first one hour run. I didn't leave the house intending to go that long. I just got out there and felt really really good and wanted to go. Just kept my pace easy. First time to run a full hour although I've had some runs in the 50s and first run to break 5 hours! Big grin

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

That's great, Meg! Congrats! Cool
            Meg - Congrats on the one hour run! That's awesome! Since this is 'first race week' for me, and just coming off illness, I ran last night, but Thursday's run will be a walk - with MAYBE some light running mixed in. Just to stay loose. However, last night, I kicked out 5K in (drumroll please) 34:23! And that was without race adrenaline moving me along, so I'm pretty pleased with that. Considering my goal was to complete the 5K in 40 minutes, I'm doing ok! I don't know that I can do much better rthan 34:23 right now but who knows what Saturday will bring. I'm so excited and nervous! It's supposed to be raining Saturday - and I've never run in the rain before. Any tips anyone?
            Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com
            iang999

Congrats on that training run Cyndi. What pace is that let me work it out now.....about 11 min/mile. Not bad at all! Good luck with the up-coming race. Meg - That is a milestone for sure. I had that feeling when I went out for the last week's run and I felt fine so did the 20 min non-stop. I am looking forward to reaching that goal in the future all being well. I am now on week 6 and about to do W6D2 tomorrow round my fav lakeside route away from the traffic. Bye for now.
              Complete C25K Done on 11/16/08!
              Keep running regularly 3 times a week
              Weight loss
              Plan a 5k race Do a 10k
              Get weekly mileage up to 20
                Meg, one hour! that´s awesome! You must feel like a pro now! Big grin . Must have been great to see the people watching you with a great big smile while running (looney, Clowning around ) . What´s your next step? Cyndi, that´s... Fast! WOW! How it was when you started running the C25K? Did you feel like a turtle? Good luck on the race! And don´t forget the report; by what i´ve been reading the best reports are from N00bs! Wink They´re full of running magic! Today was a little hard for me. W6D2. Not bad running but some idiots where burning a BIG pile of leaves in a slightly windy day and the full road was smoked as a salmon. I think running like this wasn´t a good idea; now I feel a little asthma although I tried to avoid most of it. Dead Ian, same week same day Smile , good luck with the 25.
                2009 goals
                • 600 km.
                • sub 100kg
                • get the first races in the belt
                  I am sure glad that others out there are slow "like a turtle" - I thought I was the only one! I am just happy to go sub-13 minutes on my miles... I am in the middle moving to a new state, a job hunt, and my last day at work on Friday will be leading 95 high schoolers on a 14-hour field trip (leaving at 5:00 AM, getting back at 7:00 PM) to visit a college. I was thinking of skipping my run today, but then decided that it would be better for my mental and physical health if I did it. Adding neglect of my health and my personal goals to my pile of stress and frustration doesn't sound like a good thing, so out I went for my 30 minutes. Boy do I feel better! Now to keep cramming my belongings into boxes... Tongue

Goals: 1. Finish One Hour Runner Program 2. Train for and run a 10K in late winter 3. Run a half in late spring 4. Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco, Oct 2009

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Thanks All! Ivan, next step is just to keep increasing my mileage and figure out running as it gets colder. I did sign up for the Resolution Run which is a 5K at 6pm on NYE through our local running store. I thought that would be a fun race to do. I'd like to do a 10K next spring. And of course, I want to get faster. Tongue
                    It's supposed to be raining Saturday - and I've never run in the rain before. Any tips anyone?
                    Here's my take on running in the rain (and I love running in the rain). Wear a hat if you don't normally. It will help keep the rain out of your eyes a bit. Make sure you aren't wearing cotton socks; you really want a moisture wicking sock. Your feet will be wet if it's raining enough, but cotton holds water. The biggest thing to me about running in the rain is drying your shoes after. Do NOT put them in the dryer! If my shoes are wet, I take them off and leave the laces loose to let maximum air flow. If your insoles are removable, you can take them out and set them separately to dry. I have a day off between runs and my shoes are always dry by the next run. I hope you have a lot of fun in your race; consider picking up a frame to keep your bib afterwards. First races are special. Big grin

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I, too, love running in the rain. The harder it's raining, the better. I agree with the baseball cap to keep the water out of your eyes but then again, I kind of like it running down my face. Strange, maybe, but I love the rain. What I found most useful were thin waterproof gloves. There's nothing worse than getting a chill after running in the rain. You're wet, and can't warm up. Gloves really help me out there, and as soon as I get home I take off the running clothes & put on super warm stuff.

Michelle

Cyndi, I'll be cheering you on this Saturday for your first race! Cool (I also wanted to tell you, since Blogger is having some trouble letting me post to your comments right now, that I posted a comment after yours on my blog, about the HRM, etc.)
                          I ran 2 miles today, part of my 10k novice plan, and I'm supposed to do 3.5 miles on the weekend but I am doing my first 5k race Sunday so that's going to be my 3rd run of the week this week. I'm concerned because I'm not used to hills, and I'm sure there will be some hills on the course. The weather is going to be terrible too. They are predicting a high of about 40F and winds from 30-40 mph. Have I mentioned I hate wind? I hate wind! I included a hill on my run today just to remind me of what it will be like. Wish me luck!
                            Good Luck! Wink You'll do great!
                              i know i havent been here for a while. i started week nine about 4 weeks ago. i have been doing two miles but today i finally got back to three. almost done!!
                              Goals: Run.
                                Cyndi - I'll be thinking of you tomorrow while I'm running my 1st race as well. Smile It's supposed to rain... maybe snow tomorrow morning... so we shall see what happens. My husband took me out to the course once so I could run it and I did about 34:20 as well! We must run about the same! Smile I agree... it made me feel so much better knowing I should be able to finish in under 40. Break a leg! Merde! (I've always been a bellerina so it's still embedded in my mind Its bad luck to tell you good luck, but Break a leg and Merde is good luck) Smile