Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Check-in: July 6 to 12 (Read 415 times)

Hello everybody, I just started my first week of C25k. I"m excited to get started. I hope that I will hae the motivation to get through the whole thing. I have the feeling that I will reallly enjoy running. Hopefully the heat won't get to me. Dead I am definately not an early riser so running around 7 or 8 P.M. is the most bearable time that I can go. We are suppposed to have a heat wave soon so I hope it's not too bad. Luckily I have a pool to cool off in afterwards Big grin. Also i'm looking for some cheap but relatively decent shoes that I can start out with. I don't want to pay a lot in case I don't end up liking running very much, but I would like somewhat decent shoes. I tend to under-pronate because of my very high arches. Any suggestions?? Confused ~Olivia
    Congratulations on getting started! I don't like running in the morning either, but a half hour before sunset is perfect for me. It is so calming to me to see the sun set. You should do some pool running if it gets too hot to run on the pavement...it's a decent cross training choice and it's fun.

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

yapper - listen to Meg. 9 days in nothing compared to months of rehab if you don't take it easy! runswithdogs - you are moving right along in OHR. Good for you! Jennicap - It just means you get to try the 20 minute run again. I had to repeat W5 and it was much easier the second time around. You'll get there. meewolfie - I doubt you will be last - but even if you are, its better than never starting! goddess9 - you may want to stretch that inner thigh after your runs. You can get a good stretch if you do the hamstring stretch on the floor and then just lean toward the center. Meg - congrats on finishing the program. I wouldn't worry about speed now - and defintely wouldn't try fartleks yets. From what I've read, you need to be running consistently for 6 months before you even think about speed work. I'd look at OHR or Hal Higdon's spring training programs. gruetzgirl - humidity defintely slows you down. And the bugs - yuck! Moonstar - graduation day! Yeah! oliviars - welcome! In terms of shoes, I would go to a local running store and tell them you want an inexpensive pair - but have them help you with what you need. Running with the wrong shoes is a quick way to injury and ending your running career. JennerVT - that 25 minute run is a HUGE mental hurdle and you made it. Great job! Sorry if I missed anyone. As for me - 33.3 miles on the bike this morning, and 10.3 tonight. I miss the running, but getting ready for the bike trip is more important right now, and I don't think my legs will let me do both!
        As for me - 33.3 miles on the bike this morning, and 10.3 tonight. I miss the running, but getting ready for the bike trip is more important right now, and I don't think my legs will let me do both!
        Jan, Holy buckets! That's a lot of biking! DH did a 52 mile hillier then heck loop two days ago. How are your legs feeling?

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

The young Mama Bear!

Hello everybody, I just started my first week of C25k. I"m excited to get started. I hope that I will hae the motivation to get through the whole thing. I have the feeling that I will reallly enjoy running. Hopefully the heat won't get to me. Dead I am definately not an early riser so running around 7 or 8 P.M. is the most bearable time that I can go. We are suppposed to have a heat wave soon so I hope it's not too bad. Luckily I have a pool to cool off in afterwards Big grin. Also i'm looking for some cheap but relatively decent shoes that I can start out with. I don't want to pay a lot in case I don't end up liking running very much, but I would like somewhat decent shoes. I tend to under-pronate because of my very high arches. Any suggestions?? Confused ~Olivia
          I'm not an early riser, either. My body literally won't let me get up until about 10 AM. I guess it's because I had to wake up pretty early for the last 9 months, and now it's catching up. Run whenever you can! As you're younger than I, I guess I can call you hun now and not feel like I'm being disrepectful! Big grin For underpronators, you want as much cushioning and flexibility from your shoes as possible. Since I'm the exact opposite of you (I overpronate and have wide, flat feet), avoid the Brooks Addiction series. It's a very inflexible shoe, and it's also pretty heavy. Don't use it unless you have to! Here: http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,7119,s6-240-0-0-0,00.html?cm_re=HP-_-Homepage%20Channel-_-Shoes%20And%20Gear Just fill in your stats, and punch in 'cushioned'. That should give you an idea of what to buy. I STRONGLY suggest you go to a local running store and get fitted. Everyone suggested that to me, and they are all right. Use the link I gave you as a guide, but definitely get your gait checked out. The employee might have a few surprises to tell you, since you cannot watch yourself run. Running shoes don't have to be expensive...they range from $60-$120. And they are basically the only thing you need in order to run. Make the investment and your joints will thank you. Smile Good luck hun, and you're doing fabulously!
          Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
          Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.

The young Mama Bear!

jb944, thanks for the tip. I forgot those stretches! Blush I have a few questions (I'm sorry - I never shut up!): 1) My hams and that same area are a bit sore. My dilemma is that I want to run tomorrow, but it might be hampered by the soreness. I don't feel the inner thigh pain when I jog, but once I stop it comes back with a vengeance! I'm wondering if I should take an extra day off, or if it's just a superficial, this is just a growing pain kind of thing. 2) I just noticed that when I put my legs together and stand up straight, my quads are starting to 'bulge' out. It's not a manly bulge, but it's definitely there. Kind of like runner's legs. Shocked I tend to grow muscle VERY quickly - I could do a week of weight training with just my body weight, and my body will respond almost immediately. My question is: should I cut down on the weight training a bit? I do lower body stuff about 3x a week...at least 3 sets of 3 different quad exercises, and 3 sets of 3 different hamstring exercises with a bit of inner and outer thighs throughout. Um, I bought some 'goal pants' if you know what I mean. I tried them on to gauge where I was at in terms of a pants size I couldn't currently get into...and they fit! Surprised They are a bit tight around the thighs, but I can squat, sit and all of that. These are junior size 15 pants, and this time last year I was my smallest and couldn't get 17's past my hips! I'm still in awe. Might it have been the weight training and such?
            Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
            Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
            jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

gruetzgirl - I hate the hills. They kill me! This is all on flat land - not a hill in sight around here. My legs were a little tired last night, but they are fine this morning. I need to eat and then go back out for another easy 20 this morning. goddess9 - I'm no expert, but I think running through a little soreness is OK, but running through pain is a bad idea. See how you feel. Are you stretching those hamstrings after you run? Let's see if Wingz has some ideas on the weight training. I don't do any lower body other than my balance exercises now, but I'm biking a lot in prep for a biking vacation. Running uses your hamstrings a lot, so my thought it the quad stuff you are doing will help prevent muscle imbalance. Congrats on the lower pant size. Yes, weight training does that. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. I started exercising regularly in October of 2006. I've only dropped 17 pounds, but I am down 4 sizes! I'll take the smaller size over the actual pounds any day!
                Congrats Goddess on the small pants Smile I too have noticed that I haven't lost weight in terms of pounds very much, but I desperately need new clothes because my current clothes (shorts/pants in particular) are literally falling off as I wear them. In terms of the leg pain you're experiencing...hard to say. I know I can feel the difference in my body between soreness and pain. Running through soreness is OK, pain is not. I made the mistake of running thru knee pain in W2 and benched myself for two weeks as a result. Are you doing anything after you run (i.e., RICE, aleve/ibuprofen)? You might consider that. Turtle-the VT is for the Green Mountain State Smile
                2009 Goals:
                PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                Run a 10K
                Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                Complete my first Sprint Tri

50 halfs by age 50

I'm on IR this week. My PF has flared up and I'm having some kind of freaky back problem that's affecting my whole leg. I got a new bike for my birthday today, so I'll spend some time with XT to see if I can rest the other issues. Try to get back into it next week, but then we go on vacation. I'm taking my running gear...glad to be in the part of the C25K where it's easier to follow! Welcome oliviar!

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

The young Mama Bear!

jb944, strangely enough, my leg pain is gone. My shin hurts a bit now but it's not a nagging pain like my thigh was. I'd also take the smaller pants sizes over weight loss! Big grin JennerVT, thanks and congrats on your smaller size, as well! I try to cheat and use belts but sometimes even they don't work, haha. The pain is gone for now, but I try to put ice on any sore spots as they develop. Hopefully my body doesn't decide to turn to glass for the remainder of the program. Chimera, feel better! W4D2 is down as of yesterday, and I thought it was 5x easier than W4D1. Strange, eh?
                    Wingz

Professional Noob

Ok, guys, got the charts updated. Welcome to olivars22 and sefkhet! Big grin Congrats to CanadianMeg for graduating C25K! Cool I was on vacation the past few days, seeing some of the beautiful mountains of West Virginia. Big grin Goddess - most of the experts seem to recommend overall strength training, both upper and lower body, for runners. Running does develop some muscles, but can lead to imbalances. My take is that if you enjoy strength training and have been doing it a while there's no real reason to cut back. If, on the other hand, you're having a lot of muscle pain in areas you've been working, you may need to give your body a bit more rest than you've been doing. Congrats on the smaller jeans! Cool

Roads were made for journeys...

I continued running W4 this week. Monday was a little difficult with the break I had over the holiday weekend, and yesterday felt really good. Yesterday I really felt good and relaxed and comfortable while running almost all my intervals. Big grin The last 5 min are tough because I have to run up hill for the first 4 of the 5 minutes. My husband was going to run with me last night but he injured his foot working in the yard so he timed it and met me for my cool down walk. Knowing he was going to be there helped me get up the hill. I think I am going to repeat the week again just so I can have a few more days of comfortable running before I move on to W5. Goddess - Yay for fitting into your "goal pants" I had been keeping a ton of cloths for years and it was when I finally went through my closet to send stuff to Goodwill when I realized how many of them I had and how far from fitting into them I was. It was a little depressing. That put me over and got me to start the C25k program. I don't have any goal cloths now... but hopefully sometime in the future I can buy new ones. Smile I'm jealous. I would be wearing them all the time just because I could. Smile Maybe you need a new shirt to go with the new pants.
                        MoonStar

YEAH!!!! Done with the program! Yippey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big grin Big grin Big grin I am going to try to continue 30 minute runs over the next 3-4 weeks and decide at that time what to do. I think I have to go buy a new pair of shoes. I LOVE the Asics GT-2130's I got when I started this winter but I now have holes on the ends of my big toe. I don't remember ever going through the end of a shoe before the sole. And they're still comfortable, so I am unsure whether to replace them or not. What do you think Wingz? They have nowhere near the 300 miles I was hoping to get - don't even have half that many miles on them... Keep going with the program everyone! You can do it!!
                          Wingz

Professional Noob

MoonStar - congratulations on graduating! Big grin Cool Big grin Cool Big grin If you've got holes in your shoes, it's probably time to replace them. Wink You might want to look at where the hole is. A good fit for running shoes will usually have about a thumb's width from the end of your longest toe to the end of the shoe. I remember your second toe's pretty long. Is it perhaps rubbing up against the end of your shoes, making that hole? Sounds like a good time to go to a running shoe store and get properly fitted. If your foot's cramped, it'll affect the rest of your form too.

Roads were made for journeys...

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Big grin Big grin Big grin I had the best run so far tonight. It was raining pretty steady when I left the house, but by the time I reached where I start, it had stopped. Just a bit of wind. 10*C or 50*F. Whatever temp you use. I ran part of the route I usually do but part I haven't done before. Not only was today my longest run to date, my pace was more than 30 seconds better than my previous best. (My log is public if you want to look.) It felt like a faster run speedwise. No cramps, no stitches, although I found myself covetting a long sleeved wicking running shirt I've looked at online. (I was wearing a long sleeved cottonn shirt and shorts.) I ran for 31 minutes and it was great! Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Well, I finished the first week with no problems. Well except that my mom will not let me run anywhere so I end up running in circles around my subdivision Roll eyes. I will convince her though. She makes me walk home from school so I do not really understand the difference. I definately need new shoes. Mine, currently, are for walking and my feet get tired and sore in them Undecided. I at least need a running shoe. I tried Podrunners intervals and really liked it. Not having to check the time every 10 seconds was a lot easier. By the way, does anybody walk or do something light between workouts? I get so bored being home all day Tongue. I think I am going to walk a little between. Or swim for fun. ~Olivia
                                Goals: Run.