Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread: June 22 to 28 (Read 372 times)

50 halfs by age 50

W5D2 went great! I added an extra 8 min run so I could get in 3 miles. Trying to keep up my mileage base! It was a fabulous run...much better than Monday. Meg...I slowed my pace way down when I started C25K. Somedays are still slower than others. Katie...wtg on not smoking!

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

obiebyke

Meg, I'm a grad of C25K and OHR and still need to work on slowing down. Mel, awesome that you were able to tack on extra time with no problem. That's a great sign!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Thanks, Ladies! It's nice to hear other runners do slow it down on occasion. I can finish without walking at both the quicker and slower paces. I suspect in between the two would be optimal but I don't quite know how to hit that. I'm sure I'll naturally gravitate there in time. Loving all the success I'm hearing in this thread lately.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

zzz

ok W1D2 complete and much less huffing this time. Smile i did a 15.something mile... not bad and better than yesterday's time.... which i am not terribly concerned with right now i just want to finish LOL... wanted to quit a couple of times and was DRAGGING my feet it felt like.... Smile no partners tonight... Paige got beat up at her softball game... not literally really... she just peeled back a thumbnail during and out and another girl slid into her and elbowed her in the stomach so she stayed home... and girlfriend fell asleep.... but it was good anyway... i realize it breathe like this... LOL... step step...breath breath breath....step step...breath breath breath LOL the breath is on the inhale. Smile anyone else sound as lame? night all off to the shower.... Big grin
            I'm going to sound like a broken record, but it really is nice to have everyone here as moral support. Each day I learn something new or get greater insight into the challenges and victories that everyone is experiencing. I did my Cto5k W4D2 run last night. I have a rather full week and had to rearrange the days which I typically run. I teach a dog agility class on Wednesday nights, but because I'm going to be at an agility trial on Sat and Sun and I have a bread baking class tonight, I had to do my run yesterday before leaving to go teach. It wasn't the best run, but I felt good when I was finished because I did the run and didn't let my schedule push the run off my list of things to do! I'm really enjoying these longer runs and have been happy that I'm covering a longer distance with this weeks run. I'm not *trying* to go longer! It just happened. The funny thing is that what used to be my "long" dog walk is now the distance that I'm running this week. And it seems kind of short. Yeah!! MTA: And another silly thing that makes me happy. I've now done enough runs that my chart now shows the skinny progress bars! Woohoo!
            ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
            CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I felt good when I was finished because I did the run and didn't let my schedule push the run off my list of things to do!
              I hear you on this one. I think there's more regret tied to not going out to run (or exercise) than there is for getting out the door and running (or whatever exercise). If we can just get out there, we won't regret it. Big grin

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Wingz

Professional Noob

I'm going to sound like a broken record, but it really is nice to have everyone here as moral support. Each day I learn something new or get greater insight into the challenges and victories that everyone is experiencing. I did my Cto5k W4D2 run last night. I have a rather full week and had to rearrange the days which I typically run. I teach a dog agility class on Wednesday nights, but because I'm going to be at an agility trial on Sat and Sun and I have a bread baking class tonight, I had to do my run yesterday before leaving to go teach. It wasn't the best run, but I felt good when I was finished because I did the run and didn't let my schedule push the run off my list of things to do! I'm really enjoying these longer runs and have been happy that I'm covering a longer distance with this weeks run. I'm not *trying* to go longer! It just happened. The funny thing is that what used to be my "long" dog walk is now the distance that I'm running this week. And it seems kind of short. Yeah!! MTA: And another silly thing that makes me happy. I've now done enough runs that my chart now shows the skinny progress bars! Woohoo!
                Smile Oh, meewolfie - the famed "skinny bars" show up any time you've got a run 2 days in a row on the graph. Wink Dog agility classes sounds really interesting! And bread baking! Sounds like you've got a busy and very cool life. Good job keeping up with the running! Cool

Roads were made for journeys...

The young Mama Bear!

Turtlechick, congrats!! I can tell you that I used to smoke on and off (I know, shame on me for being a young smoker!) and your lungs will work with you as you go along. Smile If you ever need support, I'm only a week ahead...and I see we're the only ones at this particular point in C25K, so maybe we can help each other through! meewolfie, I feel the same way! Without all of the support I probably would be WAYYY worse off. Isn't it amazing how much more land you cover with each week? I'm pretty far behind you, but the progress is amazing! Congrats to you as well! I'll copy my day's efforts from the other thread I have in Running 101... GUYS!!!! I finished W2D1 and I feel fantastic. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. After I finished the intervals, I cooled down and walked about 1/4 mile away. I challenged myself to jog back home --- and I DID IT! Can you imagine it? All 213 lbs. of me jogged 1/4 mile in less than 3 minutes! I was rapt, absolutely rapt. Who knew I'd ever smile after jogging? This is coming from the person who thought she couldn't jog 60 seconds without wanting to die. In fact, I wanted to do MORE! Surprised Is this an addiction yet? Blush Oh, I've got to rave about the Polar F4. Fantastic little gadget. And the chest strap doesn't bother me at all --- I'm wearing it right now and I don't even notice it. I have a question about it: if I reach my recommended maximum heart rate, should I stop? Every time I jog more than 60 seconds, it freaks out on me...but I can't just stop, you know? I want to finish the interval but I'm afraid that if I do that too much it'll be bad for me. Advice? Oh, and if I finish W2 quicker than in a week, is that okay? Wingz, will you bump me up a week when I say I'm done with it? Tongue
                  Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                  Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.

running buddies

Hi everyone - My internet has been down, so I've missed reading all about you. I just crammed it all here at work, but welcome to the newbies! I think I'm in week 2 of OHR - ran 3.1 miles yesterday with the dogs on leash, so had to stop 3 times to scoop up calling cards. But I was pleased to make a 5K distance on a day that I really had to convince myself I needed to go out. I've missed keeping up - hopefully my home internet will be functional soon.
                    "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
                    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Runswithdogs, thank you for being a responsible pet owner and picking up your dogs' landmines. In case no one has ever mentioned it, it is very much appreciated. I hate being on the path and having to go around landmines whether I'm walking, running, pushing a stroller, whatever. Goddess, I don't know much about HRM, but the important thing is to make sure you have your max calculated properly. I've heard some people say it's 220-age, but I've heard more often that's not accurate. If you are hitting it, that's probably okay, but if you are going over, then maybe just slow down your pace a bit and that should help. The intervals on C25K are designed to keep you from doing too much in a run as are the spacing of the days. (Three to four days running in a week is ideal for a new runner; pushing too much too fast leads to burnout or injuries.) You are doing great!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Wingz

Professional Noob

Turtlechick, congrats!! I can tell you that I used to smoke on and off (I know, shame on me for being a young smoker!) and your lungs will work with you as you go along. Smile If you ever need support, I'm only a week ahead...and I see we're the only ones at this particular point in C25K, so maybe we can help each other through! meewolfie, I feel the same way! Without all of the support I probably would be WAYYY worse off. Isn't it amazing how much more land you cover with each week? I'm pretty far behind you, but the progress is amazing! Congrats to you as well! I'll copy my day's efforts from the other thread I have in Running 101... GUYS!!!! I finished W2D1 and I feel fantastic. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. After I finished the intervals, I cooled down and walked about 1/4 mile away. I challenged myself to jog back home --- and I DID IT! Can you imagine it? All 213 lbs. of me jogged 1/4 mile in less than 3 minutes! I was rapt, absolutely rapt. Who knew I'd ever smile after jogging? This is coming from the person who thought she couldn't jog 60 seconds without wanting to die. In fact, I wanted to do MORE! Surprised Is this an addiction yet? Blush Oh, I've got to rave about the Polar F4. Fantastic little gadget. And the chest strap doesn't bother me at all --- I'm wearing it right now and I don't even notice it. I have a question about it: if I reach my recommended maximum heart rate, should I stop? Every time I jog more than 60 seconds, it freaks out on me...but I can't just stop, you know? I want to finish the interval but I'm afraid that if I do that too much it'll be bad for me. Advice? Oh, and if I finish W2 quicker than in a week, is that okay? Wingz, will you bump me up a week when I say I'm done with it? Tongue
                        Goddess9, am I going to have to spank you? Wink You're falling into that enthusiasm trap that so many new runners do. The only problem with it is that it almost inevitably leads to injury! SLOW DOWN! Slow down your pace and slow down your pushing against the program! Heart rate monitors... Meg's right that chances are really good that 220-age is not your maximum. What are you wearing one for? Is it to try to slow yourself down? Because you like gadgets? (I totally understand this one! Wink ) Because someone said you should? At this point you're not ready for low-heart-rate-training. AFTER you graduate C25K, you might want to hop over to the LHR training group here on RA. For now, though, you should concentrate on learning one specific pace: the "easy" pace. The EASY pace is the pace that for the rest of your first year in running you should be running at. (Races excluded, of course. Big grin ) It is the pace at which you could comfortably carry on a conversation with someone but wouldn't consider singing opera. It is unique to each person, so I can't tell you what yours is. If you're using the HRM to slow yourself down, then if you're bumping up against what you've decided is the highest you should train at then what you need to do is not stop but SLOW down. Your pace. Slow down as much as you need to in order to bring that HR back down and KEEP it down. When I started training with a HRM, I had to run about 17- or 18- minute miles in order to keep "in zone." Blush It's true! I could literally walk (much) faster than I was running. Everyone's different with where they're starting. Train the body you have now, not the one you wish you had. As for where I'll put you on the chart, I'll put you wherever you say you are. But adding on extra distance (even though it feels good!) or running extra days is NOT recommended. Like running too fast, it leads to injury. The purpose of the C25K program only having 3 runs a week... and for the frustratingly slow amount they let you progress each time... is to allow your body the chance to adjust to the workload. Not really your lungs or your leg muscles, but your joints, your tendons, your bones.... things that you MUST learn to protect if you are going to continue to be a runner. Being a runner can be a lifelong persuit. What's the rush now? Wink

The young Mama Bear!

Meg & Wingz, Honestly, I'm going pree-ty slow during my jogs, and it still freaks on me (my max heartrate is about 171). Judging from the fact that I was going pretty slow on the jog home, I'd be going at a 12 minute mile pace. I will try and slow down ! I'm also trying not to run extra days, and if I do it's trying to prepare for the next week. yesterday was maybe 10 minutes with 90-second jogs/90-second walks. I just wanted to see if I could do it, and it definitely helped me out for today! I will heed your warnings, though, because I'm not looking to get injured. I'm a little itty bit ahead of schedule, but I figured it will definitely even out as it gets really hard (I'm thinking Weeks 4 + 5). It's just tough when you know you can do more, but you can't for now! Blush Wingz, thanks! You'll be hearing from me come either Sunday or Monday about completing W2. Big grin
                          Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                          Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                          zzz

ok so it's a BAD idea to add an extra day onto the runs? we were thinking 4 days instead of 3. oh oh oh i got new shoes today!!!! i went to running etc and he had me try on about 5 different pairs and run up and down the aisle and then pick the two that felt best... put one of each of the best on each foot and then tell him which one i noticed the least and that was the pair i got... they are adidas supernova sequence in hot pink and silver...woohoo cute to boot. Smile and i got three more pairs of wick away socks because i have one of each of the two pair i used to have and running with one shamrock green ankle sock and one lime green slightly shorter than ankle sock just looks weird. meewolfie my bars are still fat.... lucky you Smile goddess thanks for the encouragement and congrats on your second week going so well so far... omgosh have any of you tried those podcasts with the techno music to tell you when to run and when to stop running on the program... even the music from DJ whomever is awful.... gah!! going to make my own podcast i think.
                              I'm also trying not to run extra days, and if I do it's trying to prepare for the next week. yesterday was maybe 10 minutes with 90-second jogs/90-second walks. I just wanted to see if I could do it, and it definitely helped me out for today! I will heed your warnings, though, because I'm not looking to get injured.
                              Hi Goddess9! Some more ideas to take advantage of your enthusiasm. Cross-train or do something else on those off days. I have two dogs to walk, so we do long hikes in the park on days off. Or I cut the lawn/do yardwork. You could also try swimming. Or weight training. Or something fun that you've always wanted to do but didn't have an hour set aside for before discovering running! The other thing that I do is cook really awesome, healthy dinners. On my off days, I have more time, so I pick a new or special recipe and make it on those days. It's something that I'm learning and getting better at and it contributes to my overall goal (better health) and keeps me busy on those off days.
                              ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
                              Wingz

Professional Noob

ok so it's a BAD idea to add an extra day onto the runs? we were thinking 4 days instead of 3.
                                Rest days between runs are good. If you're running 4 days/wk, you're going to be doing back-to-back runs at least once per week. I know someone else on this forum (I forgot who, sorry!) decided they needed to do running every other day due to something going on with their lungs. So they were doing in effect one extra day every other week. Some of the runners here have also been runners before and are just using the C25K program to get back into running more gradually. They're not following the program very strictly. If you're a new runner following the program and you MUST have an extra day of exercise, make it crosstraining. Go for a bike ride. Swim. Go hiking. Something non-running to give your running-muscles, etc a chance to heal up and be ready for the next week. Oh, and BTW, if you do make your own podcast, wanna share? I'm sure there are a number of people here who'd love to run to some non-techno music... Big grin