Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Agh! Too much too soon = knee pain (Read 267 times)

squeiladee

I did too much too soon. I know. I shouldn't have. But I did. My knee is killing me so I haven't been able to run or really walk normal. What can I do to keep working out with my knee hurting me like it is? I don't have access to a bike.
    2008 Goals (not set until April...): 5K Goal: <30 min="" 10k="" goal:=""></30><65 min="" hm="" goal:=""></65><2 hr, 30 min weight goal: 125 (current 148.2) hr,="" 30="" min="" weight="" goal:="" 125="" (current="" 148.2)=""></2 hr, 30 min weight goal: 125 (current 148.2) >
    jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

RICE. Rest, ice, compression, elevation. For ice, the best is to freeze a small dixie cup with water - peel back a little of the cup and do an ice massage. For best results, repeat this every hour - so you keep working away at the inflammation. Good luck!
      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Yikes! That's no fun. I would probably just take a few days off if you are in so much pain you can't walk normally. Then resume some kind of activity. Do you swim? It's supposed to be great cardio and easy on joints. I'm a rock - in water, I sink - so I'm saying that without personal experience to know.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

skinnycaponesugar

I've hear pool running is a good way to relieve your knee of the impact of running while injured.I hope you get well soon. I had knee pain once after the first time I ran downhill. I completely avoided hills then and got lots of advice on how to run down the hill. I don't know if that's your case, but still, take it easy Smile

Love, Run, Sleep

squeiladee

Knee's doing much better - I've been RICE-ing it for days. I'm going to give it a go on Monday, but with a knee brace.
            2008 Goals (not set until April...): 5K Goal: <30 min="" 10k="" goal:=""></30><65 min="" hm="" goal:=""></65><2 hr, 30 min weight goal: 125 (current 148.2) hr,="" 30="" min="" weight="" goal:="" 125="" (current="" 148.2)=""></2 hr, 30 min weight goal: 125 (current 148.2) >
            Wingz

Professional Noob

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. Be careful getting back in to things; often dropping back a week or two is a good idea. Also, if you weren't even able to walk, 3 days might not be enough. Keep alert to signs that you're not recovered all the way and don't try to "run through" any kind of joint pain. Let us know how it goes?

Roads were made for journeys...

squeiladee

Wingz - ran last night and all was well with the knee! I had laid off of it for a week and a half to make sure.
                CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Good stuff! Glad your first run wasn't painful. Remember to ease back into it. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Another thing to take note of--often knee issues are a sign of weak quads and/or tight hamstrings. I have been battling some right knee issues, myself, for the past couple of weeks. I've been hitting the quad strengthening exercises hard to combat the problem and it's worked very well. I ran a 5k this AM and my knee felt great. Taking the last couple of weeks easier than normal also helped immensely. Here are the exercises I have been doing: clicky This Summer I'm hoping to supplement my running with some biking, since that's a great aerobic cross-training that works some of the muscles that tend to get neglected with running, alone. Also have the P90X legs workout to start doing...though it scares me to pieces! Shocked

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay