Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread: Oct 12 - Oct 18 (Read 264 times)

I get to start the weekly thread! Nobody ran yesterday? Or maybe no one had anything interesting to report. Actually neither do I. I ran 2.5 miles today. I am following some kind of novice 10k program. It was freezing out. At least it seemed that way to me. I am going to have a hard time getting myself outside when winter really hits.

Baby bean!

I ran yesterday! Big grin Wanted to get out today but family and chores happened, but they were good things so hopefully, I can get a run in tomorrow. Big grin

Goals:
      Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

hey all just letting you know im still alive here. had a two week setback but im getting back to it. did two miles today trying to get back to week 9. to 40 secs off my pace. Big grin
        Goals: Run.
        johnnfrankfort

did 4.7 in 56 min. i didn't feel real good at the end but i made it. i also moved alot of furniture and painted my bathroom so i may have been lacking on some energy for my run. wk 2 day 1 complete. going to try to bike tomorrow. ps it was 86 degrees here in ky today... Cool
          goals: complete c25k 2 miles in 15 min
            Hi All, I've been a little 'MIA' lately but wanted to check in. I'm down and out with a bad cold since Friday that turned into an asthma attack (yesterday), so needless to say, I'm sidelined for a few days! My last run was Sunday, which finished off Week 2 of OHR for me, but today's scheduled run is off Sad I am better now that I have drugs, but my first 5K is on the 25th and I don't want to do anything to jeapordize that. So, it may be this weekend before I run again, and I hope I don't get set back too much! I did do a test 5K last week and finished it in 35 or 36 minutes, so at least I know I can do the distance! So if I can at LEAST do that on the 25th, I'd be happy, but I think adrenaline may give me a slightly better time. Hope everyone else is doing great! Seems 'quiet' around here these days!
            Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com
              I agree CyndiKo, it has been kind of quiet around here. I think the colder weather has made it a little harder to want to get out there. I like running when it's about the temperature it's been. i get way too hot in the summer. I had a great short 2.5 mile run yesterday. My best run yet. Just really comfortable. CyndiKo - I had to do the same kind of test 5k last week to allow myself to be mentally prepared to do the one I'm actually doing on the 25th too. I told my husband to be my "coach" up until the 25th so I'll be ready for it. Even though I've done the distance... I'm still nervous for my first race. He's got me on a schedule and I told him he has to make me get out there no matter what. Smile
              iang999

Hi All, I've been a little 'MIA' lately but wanted to check in. I'm down and out with a bad cold since Friday that turned into an asthma attack (yesterday), so needless to say, I'm sidelined for a few days! My last run was Sunday, which finished off Week 2 of OHR for me, but today's scheduled run is off Sad I am better now that I have drugs, but my first 5K is on the 25th and I don't want to do anything to jeapordize that. So, it may be this weekend before I run again, and I hope I don't get set back too much! I did do a test 5K last week and finished it in 35 or 36 minutes, so at least I know I can do the distance! So if I can at LEAST do that on the 25th, I'd be happy, but I think adrenaline may give me a slightly better time. Hope everyone else is doing great! Seems 'quiet' around here these days!
                Hi CyndiKo and all. I let someone else start the thread for a change this week Yes Sorry to learn of the medical probs CyndiKo and having a cold as well must be tough. Well I've done week 4 not too bad I found and just today started W5D1 with the series of 5 min runs. So far so good. I have an incentive in the fact that on some days I run round a local lake in a park and I used to do that no problem3 years back (in fact there are TWO lakes I used to go round). So I have the history of doing it in the past and I can do it again. Looking back to last weeks thread and the problems of getting out, I have found that having a schedule with the plan is a help because it decides you routine for you. Another thing from my past experience of being a 'real runner' is that after a while you do form a habit (albeit a good one) of feeling bad when you miss a run even when there is a good reason for missing it. It takes a while for that effect to form but it definitely will happen after a while. Good luck to all for the coming winter months.
                Complete C25K Done on 11/16/08!
                Keep running regularly 3 times a week
                Weight loss
                Plan a 5k race Do a 10k
                Get weekly mileage up to 20
                Katerose

I ran my W6D2 yesterday at 5:30 AM in the gym. I opted to run around the track instead of on the dreaded TM. It's better than the TM but nothing is better than running outside. I get so hot when I am in the gym. Unfortunately the sun isn't up until 7 here and that's when I leave for work. CyndiKo good idea on the trial run for your 5K. Hope you are feeling better for your first 5K. My first 5K is on Nov. 2nd which is actually my last day of C25K. I plan on heading out and doing the race course next weekend. I'm a new runner and am interested to see what the winter months have in store for me. Confused
                    Hey Mimi...how cool we have our 'First Race' on the same day! Can't wait to read your report! I am not so worried about going the distance, I'm more nervous about the whole 'race environment' - you know, as a newbie & such, I don't want to do anything 'wrong' or fail miserably at race etiquette! I've learned much though through reading other race reports, so I feel prepared but nervous at the same time! KateRose - I plan on running as much as possible outside and then keeping on the treadmill when the weather is too rough. I don't want to lose my momentum, and, I want to train to run the 10K in the Cleveland Marathon in May. Iang - I get you with the habit thing. I have to take a few days off and it's KILLING.ME not to be able to do my scheduled run tonight.
                    Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com
                      I ran all winter last year, and I must say that I almost prefer winter running (at least in Canada). It's nice to breathe the brisk air, to have the snow crunching underfoot, and to be able to maintain a comfortable temperature the whole time. And I know my dog has more fun as well! MTA: I'm guessing it would be a different story in other parts where winters tend to be rainy and dreary...

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Hey all! I don't post a lot in here, but I just had to share - I am so excited that I am finally seeing some improvement in my fitness level. It took until the last couple of weeks, but I am definitely getting stronger and I am able to jog at a "conversational" effort level now (conversation would have been a little hard before even at my slow, shuffling jog). I am still not too fast, but I am better than before and my heart rate is lower now when I jog. Thank goodness - it took some patience (after 12 years of being very sedentary), but I think my heart is starting to get the let's-get-in-shape idea...

Goals: 1. Finish One Hour Runner Program 2. Train for and run a 10K in late winter 3. Run a half in late spring 4. Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco, Oct 2009

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

I'm having trouble getting out during the week and it's distrupting my training! I put in 45-55 hours a week at work and I'm a full time student, 4 nights a week. I always seem to have something to do on Tuesday nights when I get home from school (my early night) so I don't go running until friday night or Saturday morning. I'm going to try and go early before I have to wake up, I gotta do something the only problem with that is I think I have to wake up by 4:30am in order to have enough time to run, shower and get to work ontime. I'm not sure if I want to run at 4:30 in the morning, I think it'll be pitch black out! My FIL just got a bowflex so he gave us his old total gym and we also have a walkfit (self propelled treadmill) so I think maybe I'll do something inside early in the morning, just gotta get to bed early enough to get up at 4:30am! Shocked
                          -Jen
                          2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
                            Hi everyone! Well it's been a solid month and a half since my 5K and I haven't run at all. Mainly because I had terrible shin splints during C25K and my 5K and I decided not to try to go further until I had that under control. Got a referral from my doc to see a podiatrist and had a really bad experience there--I just felt like he looked at me and realized I wasn't going to require surgery (and thus, wasn't going to be a good source of income for him) and blew me off. He suggested OTC orthotics, which I didn't agree with, and he even was kind of jerky about the shin splints in general, gave me the impression he thought I was being whiney. So on my sister's advice I asked for a PT referral, which took a few weeks to set up, but I had my appt on Monday and OMG! Night and Day difference. I was with the PT for a solid hour, she really took a lot of time to thoroughly check out not only my feet but my calf muscles, knees, and hips as well. Ended up casting my feet for some custom orthotics but said that I also have a problem with very tight calves and hips so I'll be going back for three more appts for her to show me stretching exercises to loosen them up (because the tight calves and hips are exacerbating the problem causing the shin splints), and she is going to help me set up a good gym routine to make sure I'm exercising all my muscles effectively. I was just floored but what a difference it was to see her vs a "real doctor." So for all the newbies out there that may be having pains from starting running, I highly recommend a PT consult. So my orthotics will be in in ~2 weeks and I plan to resume running then, although I am expecting to sort of repeat C25K say from W4 on before progressing to longer distances.
                            2009 Goals:
                            PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                            Run a 10K
                            Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                            Complete my first Sprint Tri
                              I took a Three days rest for unavoidable reasons and today I run W5D2 and felt great all the way. It´s getting tight in the anckle and i´m feeling the limits of my weight hitting me, but I will try the twenty minutes anyway. Maybe slower than usual to be sure and finish them. Cheers to everyone, it´s looking great!
                              2009 goals
                              • 600 km.
                              • sub 100kg
                              • get the first races in the belt
                              Wingz

Professional Noob

I've had a good experience with a PT too. I'm sure it depends on the individual PT, but it seems to me that they're more interested in the function of your running, the mechanics, HOW you put down left-right-left-right ... and it's their job to help you do so in the most injury-free way possible. If you're not satisfied with the answer or treatment a doc provides, ask for a referral to a running-friendly PT. Better yet, get a recommendation from another runner or two in your area for runner-friendly PT's and then check with your insurance agent to find out what they need in order to cover you. Good luck getting healed up, Jenner!

Roads were made for journeys...