Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread: Oct 12 - Oct 18 (Read 264 times)

Cassi - Looks like we are on the same 'schedule' and have very similar goals! After I complete OHR, I will start to train for a 10K in May, and then in October, I hope to meet a friend in Detroit for the Marathon there - most likely the half marathon. For the last two weeks, I've kind of been enjoying just having 30 minute runs without the 'pressure' of wondering if I can go the extra few minutes. But I also thought, what is the purpose of THIS though? Now I know, because the 30 minutes gets easier and faster every time I run it - with little change on my part. So like you, I feel the fitness level building and look forward to increasing my running time! Ivan - I'm glad to hear that 'rest does a body good' because I just missed my first run in 11 weeks because of being sick! It's lookin more like tomorrow's run will be nix'd too, so I'm starting to get a little 'antsy' and hope I'm not going to experience a set back, especially with my first 5K coming up! Also, you mention your ankles and your 'weight' and the first thing I thought of were your shoes. Obviously, I don't know what you have but you may need a cushioning shoe, or have your gait evaluated at a running store to be sure you have the right shoe for your current needs. Jenner - Wondered where you've been! Glad to hear the PT is taking good care of you. I always view PT's as a more 'holistic' type of health care and you will get a lot more from them that you can use forever in your training. I hope you are able to hit the road again very soon! Jenni - that's a crazy schedule you've got going, holy cow! I've done a few early morning runs, in the dark and on the treadmill (not quite 4:30 though, lol) and actually found I rather enjoy it. I'm sort of in a haze when I first get started and before I know it I'm going, and too late to turn back! It also feels great around 3 or 4 in the afternoon when I start to get a little sluggish and I can't imagine an energetic run in the evening and then I say - Wait, already DID the run! That's a great feeling. Jehu - I'm hoping I can swing the winter runs here in Cleveland, mainly because I seem to have some breathing issues in the summer and fall when running outside. I have an inhaler now as I need it, but I'm hoping the cooler weather brings some relief in the breathing department because I need to practice running outside more. I rock on the treadmill, but can not perform the same on the road yet.
    Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com
    johnnfrankfort

wk2 d 2 down! Cool but i ran worse than i have been. could running at a different time of the day affect one's performance?
      goals: complete c25k 2 miles in 15 min
        wk2 d 2 down! Cool but i ran worse than i have been. could running at a different time of the day affect one's performance?
        My experience has shown it can. I always run in the evening when I get home from work and the few times I've run early in the morning it's just been bad. I don't think my body is used to moving that much so early. If I run in the morning I know it's just going to be tough. Luckily it doesn't happen often becuase I can't drag my butt out of bed at 5:30 in the morning. Smile
        EmilySue

I've found that lots of factors (including time of day) can affect whether I have a good or bad run. Last week (wk 7 of C25K) was the worst for me so far..I could only fit my runs in after very stressful work days when I was very drained. I was starting to get nervous about moving on to W8..but today was W8D1 and it was my BEST run yet!! I was rested and hydrated..and it felt great..very encouraging..I needed that. Getting excited about almost reaching the end!! After that I'm moving on to OHR like a lot of you. Big grin
            I have not been showing up here in the past weeks, because it felt demotivating to 'admit' I wasn't progressing like I could be. I started the 8-weeks start-to-run program in the first week of august, and I eventually arrived at the last week today... I told before I was running with a friend of mine, but that she was skipping runs rather often, so on behalf of her I had to repeat days, and even weeks. But yesterday she let me know she gave up on running. And although she is one of my best friends, I have to admit I'm a little bit happy about that, because now I can really proceed in my own pace. So, I'm running W8D1 tonight, which consists of 2 x 15 minutes running, and 1 or 2 minutes walking between the laps. After this week, I'd like to continue with teh 'start-to-run' scheme for going 'from 5 to 10 K in 8 weeks'. Unlike the 'one hour runner' that seems to have three rather equal trainings a week, In this scheme, there is a shorter and a longer 'easy run' each week, and a training that is focusing a little bit on speed (e.g 100m a little bit faster, 900 m very slow x3)

Running in Belgium
            Ann

Just checking in...I just did W7D1 on C25K. Each time gets easier. Ann-V, I see you're in Belgium. Your avatar picture is gorgeous! Where was that taken? Good job at getting to the last week of your program! Don't worry about coming by and saying hi, even if you miss a day or week...but it's good that you can run on your own schedule now, at your own pace. Smile

The young Mama Bear!

Absolutely. Weather can also affect your run, as can your eating habits prior to your run. I can only run in the mornings with an empty stomach. Ah...the beauty of the "long" run! I finished my 5-miler just 20 minutes ago, and I'm still on a high. Got a stitch near the 2.5 mile mark but it came and went (thank god). Finished in less than 56 minutes, and I'd figure that I could run a 10K in about 1:10! The only bad thing is that my left foot's little toe is angry with me and feels horrible. I don't think my shoes are doing it anymore. Or they're not good for long runs. I need more cushioning! Everyone looks good. C25K is a WONDERFUL program, so keep at it. And besides, you know you wanna have a *shiny* nameplate on the front page of our group. Wink Also, I can't believe I ran 56 minutes without doing the OHR program. It wasn't a breeze, but it felt right. Even the last mile wasn't the ~worst thing ever~!
                Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Hmm, don't know where my earlier post went. Confused I think it really is a challenge at this time of year as we all have to deal with the shift in weather. Jehu, nice to hear about another Canadian who runs outside in winter. I plan to do that too, but I'm a little concerned about the really cold in January. Saskatchewan gets winter and gets big windchill values. Cyndi and Cassi, how exciting about your races coming up. I know you'll do well. The advice that I found most helpful before my first race was this.... * try not to start off too fast. It's okay to be passed because you will pass some of them walking later. * nothing new on race day. If you don't drink midrun normally, don't on race day. Don't wear clothes you haven't run in before, etc. * get a frame for that race bib after. It's an accomplishment to run and finish your first race ***** Have a blast and enjoy it!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Jehu, nice to hear about another Canadian who runs outside in winter. I plan to do that too, but I'm a little concerned about the really cold in January. Saskatchewan gets winter and gets big windchill values.
                    Oh I know, I actually grew up in Regina and spent the first 26 years of my life there. But I'd actually rather take the occasional week of dry -50 in Saskatchewan over the humid -30 on the edge of Lake Ontario... it chills you to the bone!

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

@orangetulipgrl: Well, my avatar picture isn't taken in Belgium... We don't have mountains here Smile I took it shortly after I started running, during a vacation in the Swiss alps. I even can't practise 'hill' runs here, so sometimes I just run up and down the bridge. But one of my best running memories is a training during a short stay in Würzburg in Germany. I just ran uphill, between the vineyards, toward an old castle... never had a better run... It was during a congress about ADHD, and that congress will be in Vienna this year, a city surrounded by hills also... So I hope I can repeat that experience. And I admit... I secretly dream of once running at least a half-marathon in the mountains...

Running in Belgium
                      Ann

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Oh I know, I actually grew up in Regina and spent the first 26 years of my life there. But I'd actually rather take the occasional week of dry -50 in Saskatchewan over the humid -30 on the edge of Lake Ontario... it chills you to the bone!
                        Ah, you are from my stomping ground then. So true about the humidity. At least, it's dry cold here. (And yes, folks, he did say -50*C. That's not a typo.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

iang999

Well, I am a bit down as I was looking forward to the 2nd run of W5 but I have a cold. Not too bad but feel drowsy and sniffles. The first run went really well on Tuesday. I will try and get some activity in before the week is up. What do other folk do?
                          Complete C25K Done on 11/16/08!
                          Keep running regularly 3 times a week
                          Weight loss
                          Plan a 5k race Do a 10k
                          Get weekly mileage up to 20
                            I´m in heaven today! W5D3... One clear and awesome thing: Slowly does it! I started slower than usual to be sure the twenty minutes run wouldn´t be the last one, and sure I know it won´t be. 34 minutes!!!! 34!!!! I didn´t even feel bad at the beggining. It was a perfect day! I didn´t wanted to stop and decided I would when it felt too bad. It didn´t. I had to stop when I got tired (how perfect is that!). OK, my pace is like 14:30 per mile or barely a walk, but I don´t care. It felt great. Of course now i´m not scare of the rest of the program. I Will follow it to be sure it´s done well (for my body´s sake) and try to get a little faster than the senior with his walker I see everyday around here. Big grin C25K works like charm. Go slowly, take a couple of days for rest sometimes and do it for fun... And if you don´t want to stop, don´t do it; enjoy it!
                            2009 goals
                            • 600 km.
                            • sub 100kg
                            • get the first races in the belt

Baby bean!

Taking a few days off. Wink I know that will set me back a bit but it's been a LOOONG week.

Goals:
                              Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

I did a 3 mile run today. I did 2 miles on Wednesday that felt great. Today not at all. It was a struggle the entire run. That's what happens when I drink too much wine the night before a run!