Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Week 02/05-12/05 (Read 187 times)

Did my run for Week 3 - Day 3... It felt great...

It's still very cold here, but the sun was shining... Beautiful run between the snow-covered fields.

I had found a pair of gloves that were warm enough, so no hurting fingers today...

My HRM was behaving decently, maybe it was indeed the material of my other running shirt in combination with the dry and cold circumstances.  No problem to keep my HR around MAF...

Running in Belgium
    Ann

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Good job Ann!

bob e v
      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Good job on your run, Ann.  Winter is pretty much absent here in the SE US, and I don't envy your weather!  Finished up week 3 of c25K, that last running interval was much easier today and I was faster, too.

Michele in NC

Me to, I finished week 3 of Start2Run...

I'm beginning to know which pace matches a heart rate around MAF, and I could enjoy the surroundings more and had to concentrate on my pace less.. We still have some snow (but it's drying up, due to the cold dry air and the wind), and the temperatures are gradually going up.  From Sunday on, no more freezing by day... so the snow will have gone rappidly. 

At the end of my run, I was a few hundred yards from home, dh called... he had prepared dinner, and was waiting to serve the food (he tried out a delicious fish recipe)... Then I accidentally turned off the app I use to record my runs, so my pace seems to be a bit faster, since I didn't record my cool-down...

Good to hear you're doing so well Michele!

Running in Belgium
          Ann

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Glad to see ya'll are progressing. Fish dinner sounds good Ann, we do mainly veggie, tofu, fish and chicken, especially since DD1 moved back in with us. She is an almost vegan because of health issues...

bob e v
            2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

We eat fish about once a week, other days it's mostly vegetarian, sometimes organic raised meat (chicken).  We used to eat 100% vegetarian until ds went to school... We hoped to make him avoid 'unhealthy' meat by only giving him 'good' meat  at home, and we were afraid if we denied him all meat, he would go eating unhealthy elsewhere... (And I must say we succeeded for 200%: he even doesn't go to birtday-parties when the group goes to McDonalds... He finds a burger the most disgusting food on earth, and has the same opinion about softdrinks...)

But about running...

Week 4 Day 1...

I went running before breakfast, and it still was very cold, I guess it was my coldest run ever. 

It was very difficult to keep my HR below MAF, in fact, I didn't succeed at doing so, even with a running pace slower than my walking pace.

I wonder if the fact that I hadn't eaten yet, or the cold was the cause...
              After tomorrow, the temperatures are rising, so next week I can see what my HR is with higher temperatures and before breakfast...

Running in Belgium
              Ann

okay...greetings to you all...

recently downloaded the Ease into 5K - sort of like the C25K, but the intervals are slightly different...so after another four months of no running...we start again to see if the legs will hold together...(I stress fractured a leg last year and ran a 5 mile race on it anyway...)

Welcome back Cagery!
                  I have the impression that none of those hanging around here in this group are complete novices, all of us seem to be returning to running...

I stopped running last August when I seemed to have really overtrained, and I'm now coming back with a 'Start2Run' variation.

Start2Run is a Belgian program like C25K, but has several 'variations', some of those are targeted to those who have been running in the recent past.  So I am doing something that brings me back to running 30 minutes within 6 weeks.

But, considering your fractured leg... I guess you have to take care to take it really slow, both considering pace as progression....  Good Luck!

Running in Belgium
                  Ann

Welcome cagery!

I did the first run of week 4 (finally) today.  It really got quite cold all of a sudden, so I put this run off yesterday but got out there today despite a stiff breeze.  That first 5 min interval was tough, but the second one went much better.  I wish it weren't so hilly, I might fair a little better.  Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Michele in NC

I see the hardiness zones of NC range from 6 to 8, so I guess 'cold' means even 'colder' than it has been here in the last two weeks...

We had a very mild winter till the end of January, but than suddenly it started freezing, and temperatures dropped to a minimum of -15°C (5° F) by night.  But last night it was just below freezing, and from today onwards, temperatures are positive again.

But I must say: I prefer the crisp-clear freezing sky to the gloomy weather we have today.

Good you did that run... I'm going to run this afternoon, but I'll start another thread then...

Running in Belgium
                      Ann