Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Anyone near the beginning of C25K? (Read 223 times)

Thanks to lsMinnesota for directing me to this group. I posted this on the general RA boards, but perhaps it will be a better match here. After years of working with other people to help them get healthier, it is time to do it myself. I worked to lose 20 lbs to get to the point where I could run; now I'm starting C25K and would love to find others who are also ready to begin. Race for the Cure is in my city in about 12 weeks, so that's the goal. I think I can recruit some others from work to do the race with me, but they are already at the point where they can run that far, so I'm looking for some other newbies to join me in these beginning weeks. Thanks for the support and encouragement that this community has already given--I've been lurking for a while before revealing my secret running identity. Wink PolePole (slowly, slowly)
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, PolePole! Welcome to our group! Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

Thanks so much! Wingz--I work in Raleigh. Smile
        Wingz

Professional Noob

Yeah? Me too! Big grin Where? What do you do? I work over at Rex and get to help take care of babies for a living. How cool is that! Big grin

Currently--teach for WCPSS. I regularly volunteer as an interpreter at a free medical clinic in downtown Raleigh. Love doing both! A question for everyone...there is a lot of encouragement to slow down as a beginner. That's advice I can live with! However, how do I figure out how slow is slow? I can walk for miles at about 3.8 mph on the treadmill and it's a manageable challenge...in other words, it makes me work, but I don't feel like I can't do it. How do I figure out how fast is fast enough, but not too fast? I feel like I hit a comfortable rhythm at about 5.2ish, but find it difficult to sustain much above that for very long or for many reps. Slower than that, in the upper 4.'s, I feel all wonky trying to hit a smooth rhythm. Suggestions are welcome! Thanks, Beth
            Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Beth. The reason you don't see set numbers for "slow" is that we're all so different. For me, "slow" is a 16-17 min mile, and "fast" is a 12-13 minute mile.... but for my BF, who's been running just a few months longer than me, "slow" is a 9 minute mile and "fast" is a 7:30!!! Shocked So..... Typically you'll hear people mention the "talk test." That means that if you can comfortably carry on a conversation with someone yet don't still feel like you could sing, then you're probably going right about the right speed for you. It'll change with terrain, weather, hydration, mood, and with time in training. Don't expect every day to be the same. Keep playing with it and adjust as needed and you'll figure it out. Big grin