Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weight Loss (Read 392 times)

Running is a fantastic cardiovascular activity and I've grown to love it. I partly started to help me lose weight. So...when does weight loss kick in? I practically a C25K grad and have only lost say 2-3 pounds. I supposed after doing a good long run per week? Thanks! Smile
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

It really depends. Some people lose weight running and some people don't. One thing to watch out for is your calories in; some people who take up running find they are hungrier and eat more than they did before they started running. More calories in and not enough calories out doesn't help. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

The young Mama Bear!

Everyone thinks running will make you drop heaps of weight because all of the "good" runners are rail-thin, or at least very bony. Well, they're elite athletes, run 120 mile weeks and eat thousands of calories a day. The average runner might lose weight at a steady rate of 1-2 lbs. per week, some may GAIN weight (as Meg said, appetite amongst other things) and some may not at all. It really depends on how you're eating and how hard your body is working relative to your fitness level. I personally only lost about 14-15 pounds in the 8 weeks I spent doing C25K...I could have done something less exhaustive and could have lost more, most likely. However, I kept running. Don't worry so much about when it'll "kick in", or you'll drive yourself nuts. Just let it flow - if you do, great. If not, you're still running!
        Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
        Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
        CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Also, statistics show that slow weight loss is more sustainable long term so if you only lose a pound a week, you will probably keep it off longer. It's all calories in, calories out.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Wow Goddess - 15 pounds in 8 weeks! That is fabulous. Actually, that is kind of what I was expecting. Most of my girlfriends who had taken up running saw that kind of response in their bodies. I was hoping at least to go down a jeans size but I am still the same old FAT size 12. YUCK. I am also doing weight watchers - but upon reaching a plateau I had hoped for some weight loss with the running. It was not to be so...

The young Mama Bear!

Haha, a size 12 would be FAB in my head. I'm still a 16. Dead Remember, I'm also about 40 pounds heavier than you are...I have more to give, and hence I'll lose more. I get jealous of the bigger girls that say they lost 5-6 lbs. a week. I have to work for 3 weeks to lose that much! Maybe you are near your ideal weight for your particular body, and your body is saying "okay, I'm done for now." That's basically what a plateau is to me. Work on toning at this point and don't stop...it'll pass soon enough. Smile
              Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
              Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                Pre-baby I was a 6 or an 8. The best I've been post-baby is a chubby 10. I am no where near where the best my body can be. It is so sad Sad I also want to start trying for another baby but need to lose this weight first or I will be enormous. BTW, I am 5'3" and 160 pounds. Prebaby I was about 130-135 pounds.
                  I didn't lose a single pound throughout the whole 9 weeks of c25k. Now for no apparent reason, I've lost 5 in the past 2-3 weeks - mostly from around the middle as far as I can tell. It's almost as if my body was like "Ok, I guess you're serious about this - I figured you'd have quit by now." Big grin
                    Good question! It was in the back of my mind, being on WW myself, but it's really just something I want to get into. It's still nice to hear that it helps some lose weight. Just being on a regular schedule of activity will help in some way, I'm sure, even if it's just to improve your fitness. S
                      I have only lost 7 or 8 pounds in 5 weeks of running. In past weight loss attempts, I have usually lost a little bit quicker than that - but I am building a lot of muscle, and my overall measurements tell a different story! My husband says I 'look' like I have lost about 15 pounds (love him). I started doing some strength training recently so I'm expecting to see some stalling on the scale but I know that will be temporary. Also I am at the point in the program where I am going to be running the majority of the 30 minute workout, so I hope that gets the scale going in the right direction as well! It's hard to be patient, but if I can keep the weight off when all is said in done, I don't care how long it takes to get there, it's more important that I've built the habits to keep it there!
                      Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

I don't loose weight until I'm running 20+ miles a week.
                        -Jen
                        2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!

The young Mama Bear!

Did I say I'd love to be smaller than a 16? Well, I am as of now. Cool Thank you running, thank you potatoes, and thank you sunscreen. Well, maybe not sunscreen. It didn't stop me from going from light brown to brown. Dead
                            Excellent Goddess! Big grin How do you eat your potatoes? I love them baked, with spray butter and salsa and cottage cheese (it is like sour cream ha ha!). I just recently got hooked on them again - used to be my favorite 'diet' food way back when. I am down to a size 12 now, could be a 10 except my still thick 40 year old waist is puttin the kabosh on THAT idea! Soon though, soon....just a few more miles and I'll get there! Keep up the good effort!
                            Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com

The young Mama Bear!

Excellent Goddess! Big grin How do you eat your potatoes? I love them baked, with spray butter and salsa and cottage cheese (it is like sour cream ha ha!). I just recently got hooked on them again - used to be my favorite 'diet' food way back when. I am down to a size 12 now, could be a 10 except my still thick 40 year old waist is puttin the kabosh on THAT idea! Soon though, soon....just a few more miles and I'll get there! Keep up the good effort!
                              Thanks! Smile I'm actually on a pretty "plain" diet...I don't use table salt or salty seasonings and I avoid sugar when possible. I find that my body just feels better when I eat like that. I cut up my potatoes into little pieces and mix them in with beef/chicken and some veggies...really healthy and it tastes awesome with Mrs. Dash! I have no idea what carbophobes are talking about - spuds rock! Oh pfft, age can sometimes by an excuse but keep going! You'll get there if you want it enough...and it's always nice to buy some new clothes for yourself. Sleepy

Baby bean!

I have probably lost 2 pounds since I started running in July. Nothing to write home about. BUT! My clothes fit different, they fit better.

Goals:
                                Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.