Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly thread 1.27 through 2.2 (Read 235 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, gang! Seems like we missed getting this started. Where are you now? I'm working on getting over a cold that really sidelined me for a while. Ugh. It's amazing what being sick with a respiratory virus will do to your running... Dead

Roads were made for journeys...

Hope you're breathin' better soon Wingz Sad I get angry when I can't run, and of course, that's a big help Blush I'm in week 8, which is 28 minute runs. I was very excited when I ran it on Friday but today I just couldn't pull it off again. Mondays are very busy for me, plus, I am not a good runner in the mornings - I'm best just before lunch, which is when I usually run. I should've waited a while...just afraid my schedule would rush me past it. I got a stitch about 10 minutes in, which ticked me off and just got me worrying about finishing...5 minutes later, stitch was gone, but I just lost it... Angry I'm not sure yet if I'm going to try again tomorrow, or just wait a bit and get back on for another go at it.
      Life is Good :D http://ttjk.wordpress.com Couch to 5K support group // Back of The Packers group
        Update... I got back on the treadmill an hour later and won the mental game, and my self-respect back Big grin I started all over with a better mindset and did the whole 28 minutes Big grin Big grin My pace was 14:45, which is good for me Big grin What was really cool was that when I logged the run, the graph shows the total mileage for today, and it was cool to see that I ran almost 3 miles today, altogether. I wasn't sure how logging 2 runs in one day was going to work. On the calendar it shows them as individual, but on the graph, I've got a tall pink line Cool and I'm no longer counting warm-up and cool-down. I'm getting excited for myself!!
        Life is Good :D http://ttjk.wordpress.com Couch to 5K support group // Back of The Packers group
        Wingz

Professional Noob

Wow. Awesome that a "redo" worked for you that time! Cool Last night I ran for 2 miles on our apartment's treadmill. Normally I'm liking it about 4.5 to 4.6 with a 1/2% incline... last night I had it set at 4.3 (and flat!) and felt that that was really really difficult. Roll eyes Must. Breathe. More. Must. Breathe. More...

Roads were made for journeys...

obiebyke

I'm on week 2 of resting my running legs to try to heal my shins. I'm going CRAZY. But Friday I went back to the gym and rode the recumbent bike, and it didn't hurt my shins, so I'll do that three times this week, too. Then back on the treadmill Monday to check in on my legs. This time: use my knee brace, use my new inserts, slow down! Congrats to everyone on kicking some butt already this week.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

quagga

Hi all! I had a really good run today - I ran 3 miles at 5mph. Go me! On Saturday I'll be going to San Francisco to meet up with my training group for the 10K fundraising run that I have signed up for. I think that I'll be able to hold my own with the group, which was the whole reason for my sticking with the C25K program. I'll report back on how that goes. The team coach gently reminded me that the group will run rain or shine, so I went out and got myself a water resistant top layer today...I hope that act alone is enough to keep the rain away. Keep running everyone!
              obiebyke

Quagga, Right on! Sounds like a great run. And I'm honored that you're coming down to the Bay Area for a run. If you need suggestions for great vegan restaurants for an after-run face-stuffing session, I'm your man. Sort of.

quagga

I'm going to post here, because my run was officially on 2/2... The run went really well -- a 2 mile run at the Marina, followed by a team kickoff brunch at Greens. I'm happy to say that I kept up with the group, though I was definitely at the back of the pack. My Garmin reported that I was keeping a 10mph pace, which is faster than my treadmill pace. However, it felt like a good pace, so I'm happy. Recovery was swift and two days later I don't feel any soreness per se, more like strongness, if that is a word. My legs definitely feel like they got a workout, but they feel good. I think I can feel some muscles in there! Cool The coach videotaped us to diagnose any mechanical problems -- nothing major with me, apparently. I swing my arms in front of me too much, when they should be going straight. I also have a crossover issue, where it looks like I'm running on a tight rope instead of having each foot follow its own line. And I should try to increase my cadence from about 140 footstrikes (L and R) per minute to something a little faster (I guess the ideal bpm is 180!!) So, I guess now I'm "graduating" to the 10k/HM program that my fundraising group is following. I haven't decided whether I should go for the HM or the 10K....any suggestions would be welcome! The coach's program is 3 run days a week, two easy runs followed by a Saturday long easy run. No speed work or tempo work, which I think makes sense for a newbie like me. Crosstraining days are scheduled, too. Keep running, everyone! If I can do it, anyone can do it. If you need to go slow, go slow!
                  obiebyke

Whoa, Quagga! That's great, but I think you mean 10 mm, not 10 mph. I was like, dang! She's running 6 minute miles all of a sudden! Awesome! Not that I don't have all the confidence in the world that someday you WILL run 6 minute miles... Big grin

quagga

Thanks for the correction! Yes, I meant 10 minute mile, of course....