Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Week of June 22 (Read 445 times)

Guess I'm the first one up and about this fine morning, so I'll start the week's thread.  I busted ass at the gym on Saturday, including C25K W1D2, and it went great!  It's amazing to me that I felt so fat and sluggish last week, and only two days of running really made me feel like I can actually do this--my muscles must have a better memory than the rest of me.  I'm not ready to skip ahead to the 20 min run or anything but I'm feeling very comfortable where I am.  And even though a month ago I had given up on my goal of a 5K PR this year, I am now ready to resume it (probably won't get to the 10K or sprint tri as I'd hoped this year, but hey, 1 out of 3 ain't bad).  I have my sights set on possibly repeating the same 5K I raced last year (I finished with a miserable time of 43:10 due to injury/slackerism the weeks before the race), just so I can truly compare apples to apples.  To do that though I'll have to run C25K verbatim, no repeating weeks.  So we'll see.  The other race I have in mind is the Harpoon Brewery 5K in October cause hey, what's more motivating than beer waiting at the finish line???  The thing about that race though is it is actually 3.6 miles long, and the first half is up a very long, steep hill (then consequently, down said hill on the last half).  It will be very different, so I'm intrigued to see how my time fares for that one.
    2009 Goals:
    PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
    Run a 10K
    Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
    Complete my first Sprint Tri

My Little Pony hair.

It's supposed to be nothing but rain, thunderstorms, and more rain in Rhode Island this week, so all my running is sadly going to be indoors.  I got myself a copy of the 30 Day Shred over the weekend, so as soon as I put some socks on I'll be doing that.

2011 Goals:

• lose more weight
      • run 1000k
      • be more confident in my running abilities

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop. | my running blog | upcoming races

W1D3 in the bag.  Run felt great, eager to start W2 on Wednesday.  I totally freaked out a pregnant woman walking on the TM next to me.  I was wearing my HRM and her treadmill was picking up its signal...apparently she had been cautioned not to let her HR exceed 140, and the TM was reading it (mine) as 135ish on my walks and 170ish on the runs and she was totally confused.  I had to explain it to her like 3 times before she understood what I was saying.  I think she was a little pissy about it but hey, not my fault the gym has stacked the TMs nearly on top of each other.  Same thing happened to me last week on the bike when some old guy was on the bike next to me all concerned about his HR. 
        2009 Goals:
        Run a 10K

Baby bean!

I have no energy.   School is almost over and this week always depletes my energy levels.

Goals:
          Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Wingz

Professional Noob

I have no energy.   School is almost over and this week always depletes my energy levels.

Hang in there, Sushi!  Go out and get a walk or something.  Do something that creates energy for you even if you feel you "can't" do running this week.  You'll be glad you did.

Roads were made for journeys...

RookieRider

I did W8D1 yesterday and I lost count of how many time's I repeated this week. I think this is my third week. But this time it felt awesome. I waited until after 7pm so there was more shade to run in on the trail. That helped a lot. It wasn't as humid as earlier this week. I did my run and I felt awesome when I was done. Looking forward to day 2.
              2009 goals Complete C25K Run my first 5k Run another 5k Cycle a half century Cycle EVERY week

You Are Beautiful.

Hey sushi, if you've got $8 or a Netflix acct, you could do the 30 Day Shred. It's only 20 minutes a day! It's a workout video. There's a challenge going on in the Ladies Locker Room. . .You sure do a lot in 20 minutes but then you could say you're done for the day.

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
                Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

Baby bean!

Hey sushi, if you've got $8 or a Netflix acct, you could do the 30 Day Shred. It's only 20 minutes a day! It's a workout video. There's a challenge going on in the Ladies Locker Room. . .You sure do a lot in 20 minutes but then you could say you're done for the day.

Great idea!  Thank you!  I will add it.  It's just this week, really.  School ends Friday and it's just nuts...trying to pack up an entire classroom with 27 little kids needing to be entertained on top of other ridiculousness.  Grrr.  Hopefully by Friday, I will have more energy.

Goals:
                  Finish C25K

Baby bean!

Yay!  I got out for W8D3...ahhh, I feel better.  I even guilted the DH.  He fell off the wagon and has had a hard time restarting and has every excuse to stay home.  On to week 9!

Goals:
                    Finish C25K

I am at week 5, day 2, with no chance I can go on to day 3, which is 20 min. running with no stop.  I have a solution, though.  I am able to do the two segments of day 2 at 8 minutes fine.  So yesterday, I did segments at 9 minutes.  Not easy, but I did it.  I will repeat that for a time or two more, then  up it to 10 minute segments. 

Then, when I can do the 10 minute segments with about three minutes inbetween, I will change tactics, and cut the walk periods down by 30 sec. increments.  2min, 30 sec, , 2min. sec, 1 1/2 sec, , 1 min, :30 sec., and then VOILA - add the two 10 min. seconds togeather, and that will get me there at 20!  

Where there is a will, there is a way.   

Hope you are all having good C25K days.    Woods Lady

You Are Beautiful.

Terrible week for me. Hope everyone is doing better. Have a great rest of the week Smile

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
                        Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

Woods Lady-you might be surprised what you can do.  Last year when I got to that dreaded W5D3 workout I thought, there's no frickin way.  But I said, you know what, just run as long as you can and slow down if need be and if you absolutely need to stop and walk for a bit OK but only if you really really really need to.  And I did it.  I was shocked.  Seriously.  Your plan sounds like a good one too, I just wanted to give you some encouragement that you're capable of more than you think right now.

W2D1 down for me, went very well.  Interestingly, although it was 90° and muggy in the gym, my HR stayed the same or even a few beats less than last week's runs.  Which is a good thing, and it's quite a bit lower than it was the first time I did C25K last year, and that's also a good thing.  My knee is a little tweaky this morning but I think that was because after the run I did some strength training and increased the weight on the leg extensions.  Today is a planned rest day then it's back to the gym tomorrow.

2009 Goals:
                          Run a 10K

Baby bean!

Just did about 1.5 miles for maintenance.   I went to do C25K w9d1 but my mp3 player battery died the first minute so aside from starting the run HUNGRY, I wound up getting a bit bored without the music.  But I went.

Goals:
                            Finish C25K

Good for you Sushi, it can be really hard when there are so many factors in your way that could be used as excuses!

W2D2 on Saturday went well.  Threw out my back yesterday afternoon trying to start my f*cking lawnmower.  I will hopefully get in to see the chiropractor today and be good to go by tomorrow or Wednesday, but I'm a little peeved that this is screwing with my running schedule.  At the moment I can't even walk straight and every step feels like someone is driving a knife in my back.

2009 Goals:
                              Run a 10K

When the coldest part of the winter was over, I fell of the wagon...

So I'm starting all over again - again!

First run last saturday in the early morning...

And today I ran in the afternoon - it was rather warm to Belgian standards (28° C = 82.4° F), at least for end of june, but I enjoyed it...

Running in Belgium
                                Ann