Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

trouble with week three of C25K (Read 435 times)

Has anyone had trouble getting away from the point where week three is still hard to do? The three minute runs seem difficult still and I have just finished my 2nd week three plus one more day. Blush Still difficult, but I'm somewhat better. I think I will make up a week 3 1/2, and do an easier version of week 4 by cutting the running time from 5 min. run to 4. Then the following week do the actual week 4. Has anyone else done that sort of thing? Woods Lady
    jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Yes! A lot of us modified or repeated weeks. Nothing says you have to finish in x number of weeks. If you are really having trouble, stay where you are at and repeat the week. Your body needs to adjust to the new activity. Also, how fast are you going? You should be able to carry on a conversation while you are running - if not, slow down!

Baby bean!

I think it's better to extend the program than to rush it. You do what you need to do to get through it successfully. I'm personally extending it.

Goals:
        Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Wingz

Professional Noob

I took a lot longer when I did it too... and I was in my early 30's. Heck, yeah, take as many weeks as you need to. The goal is to become a runner, not just to follow someone else's program. The program's a tool, not an end in and of itself. Always adapt a training program to fit the athlete - not the other way around! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

The first time I tried doing c25k my mistake was adding extra time to my running. If the program said run 3 minutes walk 2 and repeat 3 times I would do it maybe 4 or 5 times and this was pushing it. Are you adding extra time to your runs? This time I am just sticking to what the plan says and nothing extra and I am really getting through it. repeating a few weeks here and there but in effect im getting through it this time.
              Thanks, everyone, for the good advice. In a few minutes, I am out to do a week 3, yet again Roll eyes Anyway, yes, I can hold a conversation, but yes, also, I do other running and walking with some of my C25K days. Well, I have to go up a hill to do the routine. At least that is my excuse, because I have other places I can run, but they are not so fun. I like the road in the woods as my place of choice. I have found that if have to go up the hill to get there a little slower, or I am tired before I begin. The advice is good. Here is one interesting thing for me, though. I have a hard time doing 3 min. straight, but I recover my intervals rather fast, get bored, and go on to the next rep. At least on the first rep. Anyone else recover fast, but struggle with the running? Have a good weekend, everyone! Woods Lady
              Wingz

Professional Noob

Here is one interesting thing for me, though. I have a hard time doing 3 min. straight, but I recover my intervals rather fast, get bored, and go on to the next rep. At least on the first rep. Anyone else recover fast, but struggle with the running? Have a good weekend, everyone! Woods Lady
                This suggests to me that perhaps the combination of doing a longer workout due to the hill you have to climb first and the fact that you aren't taking the full rest intervals might be contributing to the trouble you are having in completing the run intervals. If the program says rest, then try resting! Wink

Thanks for the reply, Wingz. Yep, I think you are right. Today I did it on a rough woods path, but it did not involve the hill. Easier. Now in two days, I will try it one more time on the flat pavement, and I think I will do better. Where do you run with bare feet? Around here, the woods wouldn't be possible. Pavement? Woods Lady.
                  Wingz

Professional Noob

Nah, I've been running indoors on a treadmill almost exclusively for the last 2-3 months. My feet are still tender enough that I don't dare take them anywhere else. The one trail run I did I did in something very much like these: I used to run a lot of trails when I lived in Raleigh - Umstead Park has a great network of technical trails with lots of hills! I found over time that running on trails irritated my IT band more frequently - I think I don't have the strength needed to do what I had been doing. Sad I wasn't barefoot in Umstead - no way! Shocked I'm too much a chicken. For now. Wink