Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Alright, alright, I'll sign up. :) (Read 345 times)

Hi, all! I've been an RA member for awhile, but haven't signed up on this forum. My name is Michelle. I live in the northwest (Washington state). I love to run but have been sidelined for awhile and now due to a bad back I need to ease back into it, and thought this plan might do the trick. I tried C25K once before and made it to about week 3 before I decided I didn't like the style of it. I started just running until I got tired, then the next day I'd go a little farther, etc., until I was up to 4 miles. In March I ran our local St. Paddy's Day race (it was 3.6 miles) in 40 minutes or so (yeah, slow, I know, who cares!! Tongue ). Then in June, my 6-year old son jumped on my back and cracked it pretty good. I couldn't run all summer. I had problems standing for a long time, and pain when I sat for more than a few minutes at a time, but its all getting better. That was, until I ran again a couple weeks ago. Felt great, went about 1.5 miles with my son, and all was good. Until the next day!! I took a step out of the kitchen, and felt like I was going to fall - stabbing pain in the spot where my back is messed up. Ugh. Sad So anyway, I'm going to start slow again, and I figure the C25K is a great place to start. It'll help me really ease into it rather than just go pound pavement for a couple miles. Tonight I plan on giving W1D1 a try with my kid by my side and we'll see how I feel tomorrow. Big grin I'm excited to join you guys! (MTA: bumped this, with update at the end, cause I totally forgot I had joined this group back in October!!)

Michelle

Baby bean!

Welcome! This really is a great support group! Big grin

Goals:
      Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

The young Mama Bear!

Welcome! Big grin
        Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
        Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
          Thanks! I went last night and it felt awesome. My back was pretty sore last night but today so far, so good! I have to take my son to a b-day party tonight so no time for running today but I will go again Saturday and see how the back feels then. I'm jazzed that I can ease into this without hurting myself... my chiropractor said no running ever again, but I'm determined to prove her wrong!!!

Michelle

theyapper

On the road again...

Good to have you here.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

The young Mama Bear!

Take it easy, esp. if you have a profession's suggestion not to. Being a health professional-to-be myself, I'd like to have my patients listen to me. Wink
              Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
              Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                ...I'd like to have my patients listen to me. Wink
                LOL! Those these things really happen? Welcome onboard Hikerchick8 (hard name to type, Clowning around ) I too recommend to take it easy; speed and burnout weeks are not the way of the FromCouch-fu. You´ll love the community group! And don´t worry, there´s always somebody slower than you... (me Big grin )
                2009 goals
                • 600 km.
                • sub 100kg
                • get the first races in the belt
                CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Hey! Nice to see you here. Whatever gets you back to running is a good thing; I hope you enjoy C25K more this time than last time. Those opening interval weeks don't last long. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Hey! Nice to see you here. Whatever gets you back to running is a good thing; I hope you enjoy C25K more this time than last time. Those opening interval weeks don't last long. Wink
                    True, I remember doing weeks 1 and 2 last time thinking "whoop-de-doo" until I got to week 3. I stayed at week 3 for a few weeks before I decided to just run flat out! Smile I notice that the start & stop makes me more tired than just running. Whereas Week 3 knocked me on my rear, just flat running for 20 minutes didn't make me nearly as tired. Confused I am taking it easy - I might go overboard on hikes and have sore leg muscles for a couple of days, but I don't mess around with my back!! I only did stretches yesterday (no running) for my back & it feels great today. I'm doing some core strengthening exercises on a regular basis too, I hear that helps those with lower back issues. I'll be heading out for an afternoon run just after lunch today for W1D2. Big grin

Michelle

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I think yoga is a great accompanying exercise for runners. Get you well stretched out while building up core strength at the same time. I'm taking a class right now; it's Tuesday nights which is a run day for me so I run, come home, change to less sweaty clothes and go. It's awesome!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Bumping this one - THIS would be the introductory thread I started awhile back! Roll eyes What happened to my brain??? I ended up last time (in October) on W1D3 and my back was awful. I came home from that last run and the last 10 minutes I had to give up & walk because every stride with my left foot hurt my back. So I went back to lots of yoga and walking, and religiously doing back exercises and I'm ready to give it another go again. Fitting it in will be a challenge, now that my son is in swimming (so he can stop dive bombing me in the pool, and actually swim AROUND me, rather than try to jump on me) twice a week but I'll figure it out. I cannot believe how much I miss running!!!

Michelle

You Are Beautiful.

Hi Michelle, Washington state here too! I'm on the east side. Best of luck getting back into it. Just take it easy. What's the mantra around here, "run often, mostly slow..."? Something like that.

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
                          Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go.