Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Anyone running with their dog? (Read 364 times)

This may have already been answered, but I'll ask it anyway... What do you do for water for your dog while running? It's 95 here today Shocked so too hot for the pup, but add in the factor that she's a *black* lab, and I just get concerned about her. Also, especially for those who have larger dogs, how hot is too hot in your opinion?
      I tend to run once the sun starts going down so its cooler but I just asked my vet the very same thing Smile She said that the water rules for humans are pretty much the same for dogs. Anything more than an hour and they need water so once I start running for that long I'll bring along a water bottle for her since she'll drink out of those. I also have a bowl that folds up pretty small I use for water too. I'm not really sure how hot is too hot but I wouldnt take my dog out in anything more than 80 degrees. Also if your dogs tongue is hanging out and really droopy the vet said that means they are dehydrated.
      Yelie

running buddies

Speaking of dogs, I left a good half hour later today than I'd planned because somedog had bad diarrhea all over my sunroom last night - gross. At least it is ceramic tile so even though it was bad, it wasn't as bad as it could be. Why do dogs just not care about that sort of thing? I know it was my bigger one, and he was just raring to go this morning, no tiredness, not slowed down or anything. They both acted totally normally. So, I took him along anyway, and he was fine. If I'D had that problem in the middle of the night, I would NOT have been excited about going out for a run. My dogs have a huge bowl of water available at all times, and I always freshen it up right before or right after we go out. We run really early, and I haven't had to deal with really high heat - it hardly ever gets up to 95! I have hosed them down before going out for a walk in the heat of summer in the past. And hosed them down again afterwards. One of them thinks it's a great treat, the other one thinks I'm punishing her. I don't think we usually were out for much more than an hour, even on our longest walks. Now that I'm running and covering more distance - I may have to improvise and bring something along.
        "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
          > I have hosed them down before going out for a > walk in the heat of summer in the past. Smile I was out with my dog once and asked some guy to hose down my dog (he was out in his yard with his hose going). He looked at me like I was completely out of my mind! Right now, I'm not running enough for anyone to get too dehydrated (less than 25 minutes). Katy has a pool and she'll jump in before and after we go out for a run, agility practice or a frisbee-fun-session. Katy is all about rehydration: I have a big park system near me and I try to plan long hikes around the trails that have ponds, streams or drinking fountains. There have been dry summers when we've found ourselves high and dry, though. It's not fun! I now take water with me if we're going to be out for over 30 minutes with no access to water. MTA: When I do get to the point where I'm doing long runs, I'll either leave the dogs at home or use the trails with some type of water availability.
          ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer