Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly update thread: Aug. 17 - Aug. 23rd (Read 484 times)

I figured I would kick off the new weekly update thread. We ran W9D1 today. We're still running on time, rather than distance, because we don't have any convenient measured paths and so we don't really know how far we've run until we map it afterward. In our 30 minutes today, we covered 2.85 miles, which we're pretty happy with. We should have a shot at a 30 minute 5K in our first race a month from now!
    2008 Goals:
    1. Finish C25K
    2. Race <30 minute=""></30>
    3. Complete One Hour Runner
    zzz

I ran on the beach yesterday... it was not a scheduled run but it was fun... the night before Lauri and I did our scheduled run in the rain... FULL OUT rain run... it was awesome... we were soaked!!! Everybody has got to try a rain run!!!

running buddies

I just have to say, Thank God for my teenagers. They just helped me finally get a photo and my profile set up. I can run for an hour (have I mentioned that? Wink), but I am just internet unsavvy. I'm working on a photo with both dogs, once I get my camera battery charged. And I can't find the charger. **sigh**
        "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
          My son is back from summercamp since yesterday (and apparently, we missed him more than he did us), and went running with me today. He'd like to run a 3K or 6K run in october, and I'm sure he will be able to. We ran W3D1 (start2run), which went very smooth... Nevertheless, I think I'll have to repeat at least W2 and W3: My best friend returns from vacation in a few days, and I think she'll like to (re)start running too... She was on a hikingtour, so she has some basic condition, but I think it's not realistic she starts with W4 of a 8-week program.

Running in Belgium
          Ann

erendis

I ran on the beach yesterday... it was a scheduled run but it was fun... the night before Lauri and I did our scheduled run in the rain... FULL OUT rain run... it was awesome... we were soaked!!! Everybody has got to try a rain run!!!
            i agree about the rain run- everyone you pass looks at you with total respect, no matter how slow you're going. i felt completely hardcore when i did it, and you don't feel as hot and sweaty!
            I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
              Hi everyone! I'm back from vacation and am trying to catch up with all the progress around here, whew! I repeated Week 2 while away, and it really was a great call on my part. It ended up being a sort of 'upgraded' Week 2. One day I ran on hills (crazy), so the second day I stayed on flat land ha ha. And the third day was a treadmill workout after I got home. On each of the three days I ran faster than the first Week 2, AND, I threw in a 3 minute interval for the last interval. In addition to that, instead of a 2 minute recovery walk between intervals, I kept it to one minute most of the time. And finally, I got to really practice my form and breathing. So it was all good for me! So I am ready to start Week 3 today! I skimmed through some great stuff here for a quick catch up, and everyone seems to be doing great! Cheers! Cyndi W3D1
              Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com
                Ran W6D1 of C25K with Copper this morning. The hill in the middle continues to be a huge mental block for me. I can run through it, but it is a great struggle to not stop and walk during the uphill. That said, it was a beautiful morning for a run. Smile
                  The hill in the middle continues to be a huge mental block for me. I can run through it, but it is a great struggle to not stop and walk during the uphill.
                  It's going to keep getting easier, though. So, if you can , stick with it. I have a favorite trail that has some pretty serious uphill sections. It hurts and I have to run them really slow, but when I did my 5k a few weeks ago, I was able to call on those training runs up the hills to push me up the small hilly part of the course. Because I pushed through the hills in training, I had the confidence and knowledge that I could do it during the race. (Don't hurt yourself, though!!). Go as slow as you need and don't worry, it will get easier!
                  ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
                  erendis

ran week8 day 1 this morning. i felt really strong at the start and managed to pick up the pace for the final minute, but the return of hot and humid defeated me a bit in the middle. when the podcast said halfway there, all i could think was Oh MY GOD THATS ONLY HALF?? fortunately, the last leg was well shaded, so i picked up again and ended strongly. i planned a 5k loop, so i could see the distance, even though a mile of it was just warmup/cooldown. i am feeling pretty confident about the race next month. oh! last friday i saw a deer while i was running- how awesome is that?
                    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso

The young Mama Bear!

Hello, runners! Glad to see everyone in good spirits. Yesterday was hectic, so I decided to go for a morning run. Let's just say I'm a convert and will attempt to run early as much as possible. After The Run From Hell, I decided to change my route and just run. No worrying about distance...going back to why I ran in the first place - for the peace and the passion. I had biked around the area before and LOVED the hills, so I wanted to run them. There was some serious incline going on (I think it was something like 25 degrees or so) but I loved every second of it. Ran for about 32 minutes and I have no clue how much I covered. It was certainly more than 2 miles...straight. I'm so glad that run was just a fluke. Erendis, that's partially why I switched to my own music. Being told I'm only halfway there doesn't help me out. Besides, the music started grating on my nerves, and I like my own music.
                      Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                      Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                      erendis

Erendis, that's partially why I switched to my own music. Being told I'm only halfway there doesn't help me out. Besides, the music started grating on my nerves, and I like my own music.
                        i like that it's timed correctly so i don't have to wear a watch. now that the crazy weird intervals are over i could probably go back to music and a watch but i have an OCD need to finish the series. on another note- what the heck is up with my weight gain? i've gained 3lbs each week this past two weeks Sad and the analyzer on my scale says its all fat. i have been more hungry due to running, but not like pigging out or anything. what gives?

The young Mama Bear!

on another note- what the heck is up with my weight gain? i've gained 3lbs each week this past two weeks Sad and the analyzer on my scale says its all fat. i have been more hungry due to running, but not like pigging out or anything. what gives?
                          Body fat scales are notoriously incorrect. Have you been weight training? Are you near that time of the month? Eat a lot of salty foods?
                          Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                          Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                          zzz

hey erendis... i totally agree on rain running... you do get those looks of respect and omg are they nuts??? yeah baby!!! oh when I first started running I also gained 6 lbs.... but then I turned around and lost 10 in three weeks and still losing... scales suck... just go by your clothes...the way they feel... i know hard to see the #### on the scale but measure yourself differently if you can stand it... i can't i am a hard core scale junkie... and rain runner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big grin

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

Running Week 7 Day 1 tonight! A couple days behind schedule but Friday night after my run I was getting gas and out goes my ankle! I have weak ankles that give out once in a while, my knees do it too. I'm double jointed and need to strengthen them to keep the muscles tight or they give out from time to time, it's actually quite weird but if I don't rest them for a few days after it happens then it will get weaker and I'll dislocate or sprain the next time it happens!
                              -Jen
                              2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
                              CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Count me in as another fan of running in the rain. I think you really realize your own discipline to stick to a running schedule when you are out there running in the rain. Cool Weight fluxuates all the time. Give up your scale and find a measuring tape to measure yourself periodically. It will give you a better idea of whether you are getting smaller. Your weight will fluxates depending on water retention, salt in your blood, hormones, muscle tone, etc. Try not to make yourself crazy. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.