Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread: Oct 5 - Oct 11 (Read 362 times)

I swear I suck at this! Tongue I had such a difficult time tonight. I attribute it to one of these things: had to pee badly, overdressed, and didn't eat a lot today. But I got out there. Again, I'm STILL on week 6. Confused MTA: I think that I am going to do week 6 over rather than try to do w6d3 over and over.
    Don´t worry Sushigirl; if you have to repeat it one or two months do it, we are suppose to do this to be in shape, not to break PRs every week. Maybe your problem is the speed. I was cheking the reports from this week and I already have accumulated 5.2 Km (3,4 ml?), but, i´m sloooooooooooow (the slowest Wink ). No problem, I must be the heaviest too. Maybe week six will be my nemesis... We´ll see. Anyway, i´m already in the third run of week four. I guess I finished it, but maybe tomorrow I stuck there a week three day for the sake of diet and... I´ve been cheating! I follow Ullrey´s podcasts and the last two runs, at the end of the second 5 minutes run I just didn´t wanted to stop. I hate the begginings; i feel heavy and slow, but the ends are great and I decided to continue just for pleasure, no records, no speed, just slowwwww ( Clowning around ) running. First time those last five minutes were eight, today ten. And I felt awesome. Maybe you should take next Sunday like a fun run day, start the watch and forget about it ´till you get really tired. Maybe this is the trick to break your week; make it for fun and do it slow. Or repeat it a couple of times more and we´ll do it (virtually) together. It will feel great to have somebody in the same week to cheer.
    2009 goals
    • 600 km.
    • sub 100kg
    • get the first races in the belt

Baby bean!

. Maybe this is the trick to break your week; make it for fun and do it slow. Or repeat it a couple of times more and we´ll do it (virtually) together. It will feel great to have somebody in the same week to cheer.
      Great advice! Thank you! I think partially I AM psyching myself out. And if I can't break my mind, consider yourself partnered! Big grin

Goals:
      Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Baby bean!

Just did an interval run. Nothing special, nothing to write home about. But I GOT OUT. That's what matters.

Goals:
        Finish C25K

cyndiko, congrats on starting OHR! It's quite fun when you start going longer than 30 minutes. Smile Good job on getting back out there, sushi! As everyone said, that's really the key: make it a habit, take it at a comfortable pace, and everything else will follow. We ran our second 5K today, and this time part of the course was a road we normally run on. We ran it in exactly 30:00 minutes, which means I met my second goal for the year! This week, we get back on to our OHR schedule (week 7, I think).
          2008 Goals:
          1. Finish C25K
          2. Race <30 minute=""></30>
          3. Complete One Hour Runner
            Week 5 Day 1. Instead of my training place (a quite steep hill circuit) I went to the Devin Castle next to the Danube and run in a flat asphalt road. Awesome. Like always, bad beggining and perfect end with a last eight minutes interval. I just didn´t wanted to stop and the view was perfect with the sun hiding behind the trees in the Austrian part of the river. I´m getting nervous because it´s getting cold and I´m not sure what to wear. No cotton, because I nearly froze when I stopped a couple of weeks ago, but the Jacket I have; some adidas clima365 makes me sweat like a chicken in the oven... What do you wear when it´s cold or windy? Pitters, 30 minutes it´s awesome; sounds like the perfect time. And it looks like you got the bug for racing too. Big grin And Sushigirl, are you in this point when not getting out to run puts you nervous? I thought it would be later but yersterday I couldn´t and felt like I was missing something. Keep pushing.
            2009 goals
            • 600 km.
            • sub 100kg

Baby bean!

Week 5 Day 1. And Sushigirl, are you in this point when not getting out to run puts you nervous? I thought it would be later but yersterday I couldn´t and felt like I was missing something. Keep pushing.
              Not so much, I don't think. Anxious maybe, like guilt. Tongue

Goals:
              Finish C25K

I´m getting nervous because it´s getting cold and I´m not sure what to wear. No cotton, because I nearly froze when I stopped a couple of weeks ago, but the Jacket I have; some adidas clima365 makes me sweat like a chicken in the oven... What do you wear when it´s cold or windy?
                I'm interested to see answers to this as well. For our morning runs lately, it's never over 55 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm curious to see what other people recommend, because we're trying to figure it out before fall moves too much further towards winter!
                2008 Goals:
                1. Finish C25K
                2. Race <30 minute=""></30>
                3. Complete One Hour Runner
                  I'd also like to know. It was 45 degrees out today when I went out, windy and then it started raining. I had on cotton leggings, a long sleeve shirt and a fleece jacket. I also had a knit headband to keep my ears warm and some gloves. I took the gloves off part way through, but that was it. I was cold in the beginning of the run but not too bad after that. When I got home I was soaked because of the rain so I quickly changed into dry clothes, but after a little while I got a chill that I couldn't get rid of even with a hot shower. I don't know what to wear in the winter when it gets really cold here.

The young Mama Bear!

Dress like it's 20 degrees hotter outside. Sounds crazy, but you warm up while you're running and you don't want to feel like you're dying out there. I wear my running tights and a long sleeved shirt for moderately cold temps. Anything colder and I'll need a wicking jacket.
                    Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                    Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                      2009 goals
                      • 600 km.
                      • sub 100kg
                      erendis

it's started to be in the high 30s in the mornings here, but I've learned not to overdress. The first thing that helped was doing our warmup inside, so we'd have less pain going outdoors. the key items for me at this temp are a long-sleeve nike dri-fit shirt with a mock turtleneck that has a zipper so if your neck gets too hot you can zip it down a bit. i have running tights that just go past the knee, but when the temp drops a bit more I'll be wearing my long running tights. the biggest help was acquiring a headband from RRS that has ear flaps that fit snug around my ears, but is still made of a wicking fabric. I found that wearing a hat madde me too hot, but my ears are always the first things to scream "I'm cold!", so a headband is perfect. When it starts to dip further, it's about layers. Invest in some thermal pieces and wear layers, preferably ones you can take off easily mid-run if you get too hot and tie around your waist.
                        I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
                          When it starts to dip further, it's about layers. Invest in some thermal pieces and wear layers, preferably ones you can take off easily mid-run if you get too hot and tie around your waist.
                          I agree about the layers. It is in the 30s now in the mornings and I have been wearing full-length thermal running tights, a midwieght long-sleeved wicking shirt (just some old polypropylene from REI), my Marmot DriClime wind-shirt, and a wicking headband. Oh, and light gloves - my hands get cold in the beginning! My running bra is a full tank, so that layer keeps me warm, too - sorry guys, you probably don't get to wear that layer. Usually I'll heat up enough to shed the DriClime wind-shirt, but since it has sleeves I can just tie it around my waist. The worst is having to hold clothing while I run! Even in colder weather, say 20-some degrees, all I have really added is a fleece vest. If there is icy wind, I make sure I have a wind-proof layer on my torso and on my ears (my wind-proof fleece headband is great), so I don't get too cold. Check out cross-country ski gear, too, for clothes that are appropriate to aerobically intense exercise in cold weather. I know how to run when there is ice and snow, but now I have to figure out how to run in the rain - we're moving to Portland, Oregon...

Goals: 1. Finish One Hour Runner Program 2. Train for and run a 10K in late winter 3. Run a half in late spring 4. Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco, Oct 2009

Baby bean!

Okay, ran 2.19 miles with some sprinting. My stomach was not happy at all. No side stitches, thankfully, but abdominal cramping. Wasn't easy but did it. Moving on to week 7. We actually ran around a soccer field so it was softer on my legs, but strangely enough, managed a 15 minute pace. Undecided

Goals:
                            Finish C25K

Apparently general rule is that you should feel a bit chilly when you step out of your front door... If you're a comfortable temperature, you'll wind up boiling before long. Even in the coldest of Canadian winters, I find that a relatively light fleece over a wicking shirt does the trick. And thin but windproof gloves!

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

glad to hear everyone is doing well! I'm slowly doing OHR now and battleing a cold. For clothes I went out yesterday in 55 degrees and still wore my skirt and tanktop. I could have used a long sleeve shirt but would have had to carry it about half way so I didn't bother. soon I'll transfer to a short sleeve or long sleeve shirt and my capri tights. It won't be until its a solid 20-30 degrees that I put on the winter tights. I love my coldgear top & bottoms, I wear them all winter long and if it's super windy I'll wear a cotton t over the top to break the wind. I have a knit headband I wear but that's only in the cold too.
                                -Jen
                                2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!