Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Need Advise (Read 160 times)

larlar81

Tumbalina Grace

This past summer, my friend & I began running. In fact we ran in 3 5k's. Life got busy and the running stopped. UndecidedWe have started back but I was wanting to start off slower than we had this summer for hopes that I would not kill myself or get burned out. She is wanting to go by a beginner's training schedule in a book that she has. The first week we were to run 1 min. walk 1 min. for 30 mins. We did that on day one and of course felt great afterwards. But she felt that since we ran as much as we did this summer, we should start out on week two. 3 min. intervals for 30 mins. We did that for days 2, 3, and 4. She just told me that for tomorrow we are scheduled to do 4 min. run with 2 min walk...I WILL DIE!!!!!!! I understand that I need to push myself, but I really want to enjoy what I'm doing....and at this point I'm not. Tongue Any suggestions are welcome. Blush Laura B.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Heh. From where I sit I see three options. 1) Give it a try. 2) Talk her into something less aggressive. 3) Break out and do your own running program. Also you might want to consider the possibility that you're just plain ole' running those intervals too fast. You should not feel totally out of breath or like you're going to die at ANY point during these runs. If you are, you need to slow down. It really is that simple. With the C25K program, the graded increase in time intervals is designed to allow the rest of your body the chance to adapt to the pounding you're giving it. Your cardio-vascular system will typically adapt first, leading you to want to run faster & more than your legs can yet handle, leading to a whole bunch of possible injuries. Good luck, whatever you decide!

Roads were made for journeys...

larlar81

Tumbalina Grace

Thanks!
        jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Listen to wingz. She is right about possibly going out too fast. Are you still able to carry on a conversation while you are running together? If not, you are definitely going too fast.
            I would highly recommend the C25K program for getting back into things. I just finished Week 4 Run 1 and I thought there was no way I'd be able to do the intervals (5 walk, 3 run, 1.5 walk, 5 run, 2.5 walk, 3 run, 1.5 walk, 5 run, 5 walk) but I took everyone's advice, slowed down and actually enjoyed it! A month ago if you had asked me if I'd be able to run 16 minutes out of 31.5 I'd have called you INSANE! But now I'm looking forward to progressing and accomplishing something. I'm still nervous about the 20 minute run at the end of week 5, but so far the program has prepared my body for each run scheduled so I'm going to try and stay confident Cool PS... I started out as a 5'5" 230 pound female. After 3 weeks, I'm down to 221 and hope to be under 200 by the end of March as I keep running and watching my diet.
            2009 Goals:
            Complete C25K program
            Run my first 5K in April
            Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners support group