Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Week of 7/6 (Read 412 times)

Baby bean!

How is everyone doing?  Hope everyone had a great weekend!

We have finally been granted summer weather and it is gorgeous!!!  I finally got the DH back out and we did week 9 day 1 and it felt soooo good.  Had a cramp below my ribcage but I breathed through it.  And despite being out for almost 2 months, my boy ran faster than me.  How???  How does he do it?

Goals:
    Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

My Little Pony hair.

My outdoor runs are week 4 runs.  I'm doing better; it's no longer a complete battle of wills between my brain wanting to keep going and my legs wanting to stop.  I'm still waiting for my running skirt to arrive, so I improvised one over the weekend, going for a run on Saturday with a pair of spandexy bike shorts and a plaid school-girl skirt from a former job.  I looked damned cute out there too.

I've had treadmill issues this past weekend because my stepdad decided to be an ass and block the treadmill area with 2 giant plastic bins that I can't move, but hopefully that will be fixed tomorrow morning and I can attempt to do either w6d2 or w6d3 in the morning, since I'm finally at the point where I can comfortably do w6d2 the entire run.

2011 Goals:

• lose more weight
      • run 1000k
      • be more confident in my running abilities

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop. | my running blog | upcoming races

I am making very slow, but very steady progress.  Yesterday I did what I call Week 5, Day 2, my own version of how to  get to 20 min. steady running.  I am now doing 10 minutes running, 2 1/2 minutes walking, then another 10 min. running.  Tomorrow I plan to do the same, except only 2 min. walking, and it won't be a problem.  The goal is to sneak up on the adding of the two 10 min. segments with no walking, and I'll be there to day three, and can record my progress to week 6.   Woods Lady

Sushigirl, what are those under rib cage cramps all about?   I get the stupid things once in a while.

onomatopoeia      You are clever to do an indoor version,and an outdoor version.

Baby bean!

Woods Lady, I love your modified version!  I think one misconception is that C25K must be done to a tee.  Also, that 20 minute run can be mentally and physically daunting and by getting there in the most comfortable way (for me, it was an extra 2 weeks), it will guarantee more success.  So keep going!

As for those cramps, I don't know.  I focused on my breathing and exhaled hard and it took about 2 minutes, but they subsided.  I think the key is exhaling forcefully.  I have different kinds of cramps and stitches and they drive me nuts!!!

Goals:
          Finish C25K

Wingz

Professional Noob

Cramps under the ribs, aka "side stitches" are really common with newer runners.  They go away for the most part, after a while.  (I think the most common time frame is a few weeks to a few months.)  Now I only get them if I've eaten too close to running.  They're a kind of muscle cramp: in the diaphragm, if I remember correctly.  If they're bothering you, take a walk break.  Sometimes putting your hands up over your head for a while helps.  Try not to stress over 'em and know they'll pass. 

Roads were made for journeys...

My Little Pony hair.

I am making very slow, but very steady progress.  Yesterday I did what I call Week 5, Day 2, my own version of how to  get to 20 min. steady running.  I am now doing 10 minutes running, 2 1/2 minutes walking, then another 10 min. running.  Tomorrow I plan to do the same, except only 2 min. walking, and it won't be a problem.  The goal is to sneak up on the adding of the two 10 min. segments with no walking, and I'll be there to day three, and can record my progress to week 6.   Woods Lady

Sushigirl, what are those under rib cage cramps all about?   I get the stupid things once in a while.

onomatopoeia      You are clever to do an indoor version,and an outdoor version.

I have to do the two versions - indoor and outdoor running are so different to me that I'd never handle doing the treadmill runs outside on the bike path. 

Good going with the big 20 minute run!!  I actually found it less difficult than the other 2 runs in week 5.  Today I banked on that this morning when I attempted to do w6d3 after struggling with w6d2 for literally 4 weeks worth of runs, and it paid off with me doing the 25-minute run with no more difficulty than boredom and getting some sweat in my eyes.

2011 Goals:

• lose more weight
              • run 1000k
              • be more confident in my running abilities

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop. | my running blog | upcoming races

My HS field hockey coach always said the side stitches were from not breathing out deeply enough.  Breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth helps.

One last appt with my chiro today should leave me ready to rip up the TM this afternoon!  We'll see how it goes, I had gotten through W2D1 but now it's been a week and a half so we'll see how I do.  I'm going to shoot for W2D2 anyway.  It's funny, I don't think I've ever been so anxious to get back in the gym but this week and a half of recovery from my back injury has KILLED me.

2009 Goals:
                PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                Run a 10K
                Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                Complete my first Sprint Tri

You Are Beautiful.

It sounds like everyone is doing well! Smile

I am up to 55 minutes. I have fallen off the Higdon wagon but I'm ready to get back on, I had a good run last night. I went out for 3.5 and ended up doing 5! Record time too! Smile Pretty soon, I won't be a c2k5er or a OHRer!

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
                  Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

Hey, you all!    Bravo!   You are all doing well.   I also had a good session in the woods.  By next week this time I will be doing the 20 min. segment.   Whoopee!    Wish me well!    Woods Lady
                      W2 run last night, first day back after a 10 day break.  It kicked my ass.  Chalking that up to the break and hoping it'll be a better run on Friday.  Figure I'll do two more W2 runs and then move on.  Looking ahead and based on my experience the first time thru C25K, I think starting with W4 I'm going to switch to distance rather than time.  It annoyed me the last time that I made it through C25K in terms of making it to running 30 minutes, but that wasn't yet 3 miles at my pace.  That's my goal this time.
                      2009 Goals:
                      Run a 10K

Beginner all over again

Week 1 done

Only took me about four months.

I'll be working on Week 2 for a couple months.

I don't expect to get to Week 3 for six months

I do Run/Walk/Run so now I am wondering whether I will ever do C25K completion.    

francesre.   I'm happy for you.  Good for you!   I bet week two will be a little easier, and anyway, you have real determination.   Woods lady
                            Did my first AM run this morning.  I knew it was supposed to be hot and sunny later so I figured it would be better to get my run in before work.  Plus I was pissed off at DH and needed to sweat out some of my frustration.  The run went well, the gym is pleasantly quiet in the morning.  My knee is still bugging me a little but no other lower leg pain like I had on Wednesday.  I have a long hilly walk with my mom planned tomorrow, hopefully that doesn't aggravate my knee too bad.  I will ice tonight just to be on the safe side.
                            2009 Goals:
                            Run a 10K

Baby bean!

Almost done.  My goodness, this took me longer than I thought!  Anyway, did W9D2 today, but I think I'm going to do it over.  We had 8 minutes left when the DH stopped at the water fountain.  So of course, so do I.  Then we pause for a minute and look at our burnt bridge (bridge fire today in NY) and walked around the detour.  Started up running again after a 3 minute break and I have to admit, it was hard to get back into the groove.  I was slower and had difficulty finding me comfort in terms of my form.  So I think I'll do it over.  Hey, it's a journey, right?

Jenner-how are you finding the program the 2nd time?  I also thought about doing it this time by distance, but it was annoying in the begininng with everything measured in yards, so I stayed with time.  Oh well.  Great job getting back to the gym quickly.  Hope your knee is working with you.

Goals:
                              Finish C25K

Sushigirl, congratulations!    I am impressed.   What do you have lined up for races now?   I have been doing 10 min. intervals with 90 sec. walking inbetween, getting reaady to sneak up to the 20 min straight through day 3, of week 5.   Not really easy yet, but I am making some progress.  Going to week 6 will be a milestone for me.  I will deserve a trip to the Mexican restaurant.   Or maybe a doughnut.   Woods Lady.       PS, BTW, when you graduate, please come back here and encourage the rest of us.