Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Week of 5/1 to 5/7 (Read 436 times)

Ran 3 miles today in 40 degree weather; sounds like I should appreciate the cool running temps while they last!

I think I'm on week 7 of C25K, but I'm taking more walk breaks than on the plan.  However, my time is improving and my pacing is better.  I think I may just keep going like I am, breaking the C25K rules a little!   Now I can run steady for over a mile before I walk. 

I think as long as I'm working on it, and keep it up, that should be okay.  

So, next question: should I work on increasing my distance, or wait until I can run the whole 3 miles before I try to go farther?

The 5K I'm doing is this Saturday. gulp. Any racing prep advice?

Keep building the base.

2012 goals: Under 30 minutes 5K, over 20 miles/week

Welcome back from vacation!

First off, you are ready, without a doubt. 

I have a few 5K's, an 8K, a 10K, and 3 half marathons under my belt (experienced, but there are others with more, that's for sure).

but...

...Things that come to my mind are...

...arrive early.  Are you picking up your racing packet ahead of time, or at the race?  Either way, arrive early.  There's not much worse than hearing the starting gun go off and you're walking towards the start line...or worse, you're in the porta-potty.  Did that once!

...don't arrive TOO early.  I know that I get nervous before races, you may be a little, too.  If you arrive too early, you'll pace around and burn off energy.  Go to the potty.  (can't emphasize this enough!).  Then, a good warmup would be a 1/2 mile to 1 mi walk around, maybe a few short pickups, but not much more in your condition.  Start maybe 20 min before the race, wind up 5 min before the race, then get to the starting line to get ready to "go".

...your number goes in the front, over your tummy. Smile I prefer my number on my shirt, but some folks like it on their shorts, either way is acceptable

...line up near the back.  Don't get caught up in the whirlwind at the start and to out too fast.  Be conservative, then pick up the pace at mile 1 if you are feeling good.  Ditto for mile 2.  You'll be passing people left and right, I promise.

...don't do ANYTHING new on race day.  No new food, no new routine, no new shoes or socks, no new clothes, nothing!

...you need to post that 5K PR (personal record) when you are done!!! Big grin

Michele in NC

Thanks for the tips, Michele!

Made me laugh, with the number in front: I totally didn't know that!  Also, with the portapotty.  Smile

And thanks for the warm-up info, too.  I didn't really think about that.  Ahh, so much to look forward to!

Keep building the base.

2012 goals: Under 30 minutes 5K, over 20 miles/week

Loves the outdoors

Ran 3 miles today in 40 degree weather; sounds like I should appreciate the cool running temps while they last!

I think I'm on week 7 of C25K, but I'm taking more walk breaks than on the plan.  However, my time is improving and my pacing is better.  I think I may just keep going like I am, breaking the C25K rules a little!   Now I can run steady for over a mile before I walk. 

I think as long as I'm working on it, and keep it up, that should be okay.  

So, next question: should I work on increasing my distance, or wait until I can run the whole 3 miles before I try to go farther?

As far as working on distance or being able to run the entire 3 miles goes - my advice is to do whichever you enjoy more! When I completed the C25K I could run the 30mins (which was nowhere near 5K by the way) and I continued on doing a mixture of run/walking extending out one run. I then tried to do solid continuous running on the other couple of days which often I didn't manage. I then cut out the walking breaks a few months later mainly because they were messing with my head - I was looking forward to them too much. Anyway, I can now run for 2hours+ continuously, so a slow and steady progress certainly didn't stop me progressing. The only thing that will stop you is making running a chore - so do what gets you out the door!

Good luck for the 5K. I doing one on Sunday, but I'll be run/walking this one. My husband is away and so I thought I'd celebrate Mother's Day by running the 5K with my kids. They are 3,4 and 7 so we'll be slow but it'll be fun!

My only advice for the 5K is to try and enjoy yourself. It's a great feeling finishing your first race.  Oh, and try and smile for the race photographer Smile 

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Good luck for the 5K. I doing one on Sunday, but I'll be run/walking this one. My husband is away and so I thought I'd celebrate Mother's Day by running the 5K with my kids. They are 3,4 and 7 so we'll be slow but it'll be fun! 

Have a blast running with your kids, nz.  My kids are grown now, I miss running races with them! 

Michele in NC

bianchilvr already gave you sound advice, in particular to not do anything new.  As tempting as it is to wear that beautiful new shirt in the race packet I stick to my usual running gear.  I would add that getting quality sleep on the eve of the race can be difficult so target the night before that for getting your Zzzz.  Best of luck, racer!

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

+1 on what Michelle said.

I would add, nothing new on race day. Clothing and running the way you have trained. Keep warm up clothes on (if needed) until 5 or 10 min before the start of the race. Final bio break as close to start as possible. And don't sweat time or trying to run the whole thing. My first 5k after C25K took 43 min! and my PB still hasn't broken 36min and probably never will. 

Good luck Jenn and have the time of yer life! Enjoy it - you EARNED it!

bob e v
                2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

theyapper

On the road again...

You've gotten great advice, Jenn.  You'll do great!

Don't forget to smile when you cross the finish line.  You've earned it.

You are on Week 7, right?  Don't forget to move yourself up on the chart.  The link is in the stickies on the main forum page.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Ran W4D2 on the trail with dog.  Took a few days off to try and recover some energy.  It's not while exercising that I'm running into trouble.  It's the lack of energy the rest of the day.  At least it wasn't raining this morning.  Any volunteers to cut my grass?  And a pre-emptive Happy Mother's Day to all.

Great job on week 4, chup.  I've been wondering how you are doing with your running.  I'm concerned about your lack of energy, though.  I'm just wondering if you are overdoing it a little.  Are you running as slow as possible?  A very common mistake with beginning runners is to run too fast...you should be taking it slow and easy.

A big NOPE to cutting your grass...my husband just bought a new lawnmower (it's racing car red, hmmm) and keeps hinting that "it starts with one pull".  I think that's his way of saying it's my turn to cut the grass.  I say pave it and paint it green Big grin

Michele in NC

I'm concerned about your lack of energy, though.  I'm just wondering if you are overdoing it a little.  Are you running as slow as possible?  A very common mistake with beginning runners is to run too fast...you should be taking it slow and easy.

I may be overdoing it.  I have no problems running.  I am currently jogging/walking 2 miles in about 27 minutes, running well within myself, and feel I could go longer at the end of each run section.  I'm tired at the end of the workout, but comfortably so.  Same is true for the other non-running workouts I do.  The real issue is that I have little energy the rest of the day and that includes days that I do not exercise at all.  I am eating well, but only get about 7 hours of sleep.  I'm 48 and maybe I just need more sleep?  I'm also about 250 pounds and have been there for maybe 10 years.  I would also say that this near constant fatigue has been going on for more than a year as well, maybe longer, but I always chalked it up to an busy family.  Okay, so as I write this I can ghost what most of you are thinking, "Have you seen a doctor?"  No, I have not seen a doctor for several years and really should get a checkup and probably some blood tests done.  Sigh.  Sooner begun, sooner done.

Okay, so as I write this I can ghost what most of you are thinking, "Have you seen a doctor?"  No, I have not seen a doctor for several years and really should get a checkup and probably some blood tests done.  Sigh.  Sooner begun, sooner done.

Yep, this would have been my next suggestion! (My husband avoids the doc, too...now, I'm not suggesting it's a MAN thing...lol! Big grin

Michele in NC

Loves the outdoors

Yep, this would have been my next suggestion! (My husband avoids the doc, too...now, I'm not suggesting it's a MAN thing...lol! Big grin

Yes, I think a Dr is a great next step.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Jenn, Good luck in your 5K tomorrow.  You're ready, you'll do great!

Michele in NC

Jennxpt - How did the race go today?  We're all excited to read your race report!

I ran W4D3 on the trail with the dog late this morning.  Feeling pretty good today.  Not much in the way of wildlife except for a wren that scolded us.  I cannot wait for the creek to go down and warm up so the kids and I can go hunting crawdads, minnows, and tadpoles!