Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Hello all! (Read 237 times)

LnghrnBelle

Hello everyone! So I just started the Couch to 5K program. Today was my first day, and it was an eye opener for me. I realized I was so out of shape, and really thanked the ppl who suggested this. Like I said in another forum, I used to be able to run 3 miles easy and under 25 min. I got into college, gained weight, and was miserable. So, I decided I wanted to run again bc it was always a great thing for me in terms of physical and mental wellness and I loved running. Anywho, Here I am, Day 1, and I'm excited bc I signed up for a 5k on March 30th, which gives me about 2 months counting from yesterday to whip into shape! Any suggestions regarding shoes? I need good running shoes, but every time I go to a running store they try and push the unnecessarily pricy ones on me. I would love to hear from you all! Thanks Smile
    I do not want the peace that passeth understanding. I want the understanding which bringeth peace. --Helen Keller
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Welcome! Don't stress too much about comparing where you are now vs where you were then. You're running now and that's all that counts! Big grin As for the "unnecessarily pricy" shoes, did they say why? I know around Raleigh, NC a decent pair of shoes ranges from $85 - $140, depending on model and brand name. I had sticker shock the first few times; now I feel like I'm getting a great deal if I can find something that fits me and deals with my over-pronating issues for under $100.

Roads were made for journeys...

quagga

Welcome LnghrnBelle! I went to a Fleet Feet running store in my town and told them I was a newbie runner and needed some good shoes. They did an excellent job of measuring my feet standing and sitting, assessed my arches, put me in some comfy running socks, and then watched me run a bit in a couple pairs of shoes. I wound up in a pair of shoes that are a half-size smaller than I would have purchased on my own from a general sporting goods shop or online and those shoes were not the most expensive ones that I tried on. So, in my experience I don't think I was directed to the most expensive shoes, just the best shoes. They cost $95+tax and I am grateful to the sales person for taking so much time with me because I really love my shoes--they fit my feet perfectly. In my mind running is less expensive than almost any other sport -- so I don't balk too much at the price of a decent pair of shoes. I do have qualms with the labor practices of the shoe manufacturers, but alas I have not allowed that to affect my purchase decision.
        Lisa3.1

Hi LnghrnBelle, and welcome. I, too, registered with ra just a few days ago. I used to run YEARS ago. I have a two year old that I "run" around with, and I am determined to run again, and much longer distances, and in cold as heck temperatures in Minnesota, that's something else I have to get used to. SOmeone from the other forum referred me to C25k also. Lisa
            Hi LnghrnBelle! I'm new as well, just starting the C25K program. I also had a revelation when I got on the treadmill for the first time in a VERY long time...I am SOOOO out of shape, it should be illegal! Congrats to taking the first step.