Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Week of 4/19-4/25 (Read 419 times)

Baby bean!

Loving that spring *appears* to be here. Hoping it stays. How is everyone holding up? I just came back from what is essentially W5D2 (the 8 minute runs). I have to say, I can't believe that I am at this point. Feels like I just started. I am ready to get the 20 minute run done with. It messed with me last summer and I'm ready to beat it. Slow and steady.

Goals:
    Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

My Little Pony hair.

I just finished w4d3, but I'll probably do a couple more with the w4 schedule because the last 5 minute run has me going "are we done yet?" after 2 minutes. But I do finish the runs, which is all that matters to me at this point.

2011 Goals:

• lose more weight
      • run 1000k
      • be more confident in my running abilities

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop. | my running blog | upcoming races

RookieRider

I finished my second round of W4 Thursday. It was easier the second time around. Yesterday I completed W5D1 and I was surprised I was able to complete each run. The sprinkles of rain felt good on my last run. I'm looking forward to W5D2 on Tuesday. I think I may be experiencing hints of shin splints. I made sure to stretch before and after my last run. I'll do a search on shin splints to find an exercise/stretch that should help. Good luck everyone. Have a good week.
        2009 goals Complete C25K Run my first 5k Run another 5k Cycle a half century Cycle EVERY week

RookieRider

I started looking through the C25K program on coolrunning, then I went to the stretches. That's when I remembered someone here mentioning doing toe taps to help with shin splints. I'm doing them now as I sit here. I remember they helped me before. Something that is helping me complete my runs is that I don't have to time each run (because I'm using an Ipod Touch program) so I have no idea how long I'm running. Now that I looked at the program and know I'll be running 8 minutes during one of the runs on my next session, I'm looking forward to reaching another goal. I know I can do this.
          2009 goals Complete C25K Run my first 5k Run another 5k Cycle a half century Cycle EVERY week

You Are Beautiful.

I'm in week 6. I ran yesterday with my partner as a "free run", no times, no distance goals, no c25k strictness. I DID AWESOME. 1. I ran outdoors, for one. Historically, I suck at pounding the pavement. I've been c25king on the TM. And I usually get wiped out if there's any altitude change whatsoever. 2. Also, I didn't take my Zune, something I never leave home without especially when working out. It's a crutch. 3. I really tried to concentrate on "form" (I think I lean forward in my back when I run) and keeping a "conversation pace" (which was pretty slow, I think I could've walked faster?) but it's hard to tell how fast I was going since I didn't pay attention to when I left. So I ran .7 before stopping, walked .1, ran .5, walked .1, ran .1. It was a 1.5 mi loop of which I ran 1.3! It was a good day! My partner ran 2.5! I'm jealous but super proud of him. I'm starting to feel like 30 minutes isn't such a lofty goal. It was pretty nice outside, overcasty but warmish (65?). I also found out one of my coworkers is trying to get into shape so we're going to start meeting at the gym on Wednesdays and Thursdays. So those are two "whatever" days, I can work on c25k or just do the elliptical, whatever, weight train. It is nice to have people keep you accountable. So today or tomorrow I'll be doing w6d2. Can't believe I'm here already!

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
            Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

My Little Pony hair.

Something that is helping me complete my runs is that I don't have to time each run (because I'm using an Ipod Touch program) so I have no idea who long I'm running. Now that I looked at the program and know I'll be running 8 minutes during one of the runs on my next session, I'm looking forward to reaching another goal. I know I can do this.
              I use the Touch app as well. Lately, as the runs get longer, I've found I need to avoid looking at the time otherwise I just stare at the numbers and it seems sooooo much longer.

2011 Goals:

• lose more weight
              • run 1000k
              • be more confident in my running abilities

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop. | my running blog | upcoming races

week 5 day 1 done! It was easier than I thought. I need to find a different route, this one is too short!
                  It sounds like everyone is doing GREAT!! I second the love of spring- although they are forecasting snow possibly for us later in the week. Roll eyes I've been on week 9 for what seems like forever and now I'm just trying to decide when I'm done. Is it when I can run 30 min straight- which I can do. Or when I can run a 5k in 30 min- which I don't think I'll be able to do for a while yet? Any thoughts?

21.1k, 20/07/2013, MEC Race Series Calgary #4/5 2:24:29

15k, 4/05/2013, MEC Race Series Calgary #3 1:40:43

10k, 13/04/2013, MEC Race Series Calgary #2 1:08:44

10k, 23/09/2012, Rock the House 1:04:27(gun), 1:03:48(chip)

10k, 27/05/2012 1:08:57

11.34 k, 22/10/2011 1:16:52

Started C25K 5 February 2009; SportCheck Mother's Day 5k- 37:13

RookieRider

Wow, did I disappoint myself today. I'm on W5D2 and I couldn't complete the 5 minute run. I did so well on my last run that I expected this to be a breeze. Was it the rain? The stitch in my side? The fact that I didn't give my body enough time to recover from the last run? The fact that I'm NOT 20 years old any more? My shins are kinda sore. I came home and soaked in epsom salts. What a sissy. I can see I may need to repeat each of the weeks until I'm done. But if that's what it takes, I'm going to do it. I WILL run a 5k. Smile
                      Well...my mom's knee injury has continued to keep her sidelined. I took some time off, trying to wait for her, and finally just started heading out on my own. When she's ready, I'll be happy to "start over" and regroup with her. But in the mean time, I wanted to get out and DO SOMETHING! Finished week two today, and I've been very happy with how it's gone. I slowed myself down a bit in preparation for the longer 90 seconds, and in doing so I think really helped myself. Okay, the first day kicked my butt Wink But since then I've been good, and I actually feel ready to tackle 3 minutes on my next run Big grin Oh, and here's to good weather this weekend...this morning was 35 degrees and pouring rain...NOT nice!

Baby bean!

Wow, did I disappoint myself today. I'm on W5D2 and I couldn't complete the 5 minute run. I did so well on my last run that I expected this to be a breeze. Was it the rain? The stitch in my side? The fact that I didn't give my body enough time to recover from the last run? The fact that I'm NOT 20 years old any more? My shins are kinda sore. I came home and soaked in epsom salts. What a sissy. I can see I may need to repeat each of the weeks until I'm done. But if that's what it takes, I'm going to do it. I WILL run a 5k. Smile
                        That may be JUST what you have to do and THAT'S okay! Personally, I have tweaked weeks 5 and 6 to repeat certain days, too. You do what you have to do and in the end, it will make you stronger! Big grin

Goals:
                        Finish C25K

Wow, did I disappoint myself today. I'm on W5D2 and I couldn't complete the 5 minute run.
                          I snuck a peek at your log and I saw that it was your longest run to date as well as your fastest. My guess is that the reason you had trouble with the 5 minute run is that you may need to slow down. To run faster, run farther. To run farther, run slower. That advice is plastered all over this place. Smile Congrats on the PRs by the way.

You Are Beautiful.

I've been on week 9 for what seems like forever and now I'm just trying to decide when I'm done. Is it when I can run 30 min straight- which I can do. Or when I can run a 5k in 30 min- which I don't think I'll be able to do for a while yet? Any thoughts?
                            For me, I'm gonna keep at it til I can do the 5k in 30ish minutes. That's my personal goal. Then, I'll move on to One Hour Runner program. I think, if I could do it in 30-32 minutes, I'd feel good. I am still working on week 6. I attempted w6d2 yesterday...ummm...it went ok. I ran outside again, with trepidation. I didn't make the goals but I still had a good run. Ran 10 min (.9 mi), walked three minutes (exceedingly slow, .1 mi?), ran 6 min (.5 mi), died promptly. Dead I was so wiped. It was hot out (78+?), I had new shorts on, blah blah blah, excuses. I'll try again today on the TM at the gym. Or tomorrow. I am really excited about this community. I love that I can commiserate/share my joy. Smile

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
                            Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

Baby bean!

I DID IT!!!! Big grinI did the 20 minute run today! Shocked This run messed with me last summer and I got through it. I was s.l.o.w. But I kept going. I did get a small stitch at about the 18 minute part but I did some heavy exhaling. I also have to say that the DJ Steveboy podcasts have really helped me zone out. So now onto week 6. I will be doing day 1 for 3 times, then day 2 twice and then day 3. So basically I will be on week 6 for two weeks.

Goals:
                              Finish C25K

nauseousadrnalin- thanks for your input. Sushigirl -WTG on the 20 min run! It's amazing what our bodies can do with proper training. I stalled out in weeks 5-7, that's when I needed to repeat a lot and I also started listening to my own music and using the stopwatch on my iPod as I found Ullrey's podcasts too frustrating when he'd combine all the runs on one podcast. I've only recently started running for distance versus time. Some days I just run for a set amount of time & see how far I've gone. I am trying to improve my 5k time best is ~36min right now, which isn't great- but if I tried to run a 5k in Feb when I started this adventure- I wouldn't be able to finish! so I'm going in the right direction. I'm glad I got my run in this morning as it's currently snowing and doesn't look like it's going to stop anytime soon.

21.1k, 20/07/2013, MEC Race Series Calgary #4/5 2:24:29

15k, 4/05/2013, MEC Race Series Calgary #3 1:40:43

10k, 13/04/2013, MEC Race Series Calgary #2 1:08:44

10k, 23/09/2012, Rock the House 1:04:27(gun), 1:03:48(chip)

10k, 27/05/2012 1:08:57

11.34 k, 22/10/2011 1:16:52

Started C25K 5 February 2009; SportCheck Mother's Day 5k- 37:13