Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread: Nov 9 - 15 (Read 243 times)

I took last week off because my knee was starting to hurt again. I don't think my body can handle even that little amount of time off because I planned on running 3 miles today and only made it a little over 1 mile. Today was also my first run in the cold weather at 23 degrees, and I'm not used to that. Here in North Dakota it will get a lot colder, 20 below or more, so today shouldn't be considered that bad. I had several layers on and was still cold in the beginning, but I also felt very confined and constricted because of all these layers, which I don't like. I'm going to have to figure something out. I really don't want to use a treadmill this winter if I can help it.
    johnnfrankfort

week 5 coming up tomorrow for me
      goals: complete c25k 2 miles in 15 min
      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Taking time off is not a bad idea if your knee is bothering you. Did you RICE (rest, ice, compress, elevate)? I do for a couple of days if my knee gets swollen after a run. It's only happened a couple of times. I don't compress (wrap in a tensor), but the rest helps. I can relate to the weather. I'm in Saskatchewan just north of the Montana-ND border. I ran with windchill about the same today. I wore a long sleeved tech shirt, knit gloves, a tshirt over my long sleeve, unlined windpants over shorts, a ballcap and my favourite Smartwool socks. It was comfortable once I got moving but it was a bit cool when I left the house. I'm still figuring out how to dress. My sister is an experienced runner (Ironman actually) and she advised me to start with windpants loose enough to put something under and running tights. I haven't got the running tights but I will; I was looking at UnderArmour Frosty tights, but they didn't have my size in. I like the knit gloves although I know they won't be enough in another month or so. We can compare notes definitely as it gets colder. I'm going to be running outside all winter (and I fully expect about 10 days in January when it's just dangerously cold to bother running outside.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

I ran Saturday for the first time in almost 2 weeks due to a horrilbe cold. My legs still ache!
          -Jen
          2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
          CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Jenn, I hope you feel recovered soon. Take it easy on your next run and maybe spend a bit longer than usual afterwards on stretching and walking to cool down. I'm really hoping I don't get a cold this winter. Anyone else running? Seems to have really slowed down. Anyone working through the nine weeks of C25K right now? What week are you on?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

rdmsgirl

Marie

Yes, I'm working on W4, and it's hard!!!
                I ran last night in the cold again. It wasn't as bad this time though. Partly because it wasn't as cold and also because I dressed differently. I dressed warmer but with more pieces I could take off as I got warmed up. Now if I could just figure out how to get my nose to stop running!
                  Anyone else running? Seems to have really slowed down. Anyone working through the nine weeks of C25K right now? What week are you on?
                  Yep, just starting on week 7 tomorrow. I'm working through the program as rehabilitation for a brutal and persistent case of medial shinsplints, and so far so good... virtually pain free. I've kind of taken the shotgun approach to the problem, with custom orthotics, icing, stretching, dorsiflexor strengthening exercises, and a slow build-up, so it's kind of hard to know which factor or combination of factors is helping. But as long as it is actually helping, I'm okay with the mystery!

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

johnnfrankfort

i am finishing wk 5 on friday. this is a pretty good program. i think though i need to add another day.. maybe a longer slow run? after this i plan on trying to tackle the ohr. i do have my eye on a 5k on thanksgiving.
                    goals: complete c25k 2 miles in 15 min
                      Jehu-I'm with you on the working thru shin splint thing. After completing C25K-barely-in August, I had to take off two months as I tried to get relief from the intense shin splint pains I was experiencing--I was really afraid it would develop into a stress fracture if I kept it up. I saw a PT, got some custom orthotics, and now I'm finally easing back into running by re-starting C25K at Week 4. Glad to hear all the work you're putting in is paying off, and I'm happy to say that so far I haven't had any shin pain either.
                      2009 Goals:
                      PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                      Run a 10K
                      Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                      Complete my first Sprint Tri
                        Hey all! I'm still around! I am in Week 6 of One Hour Running. However, just an FYI, the link on our Group Home Page for One Hour Running is no longer valid...in fact, it takes you to the Cool Running general webpage - and I can not locate the program anywhere on that site any more. I have a hard copy of it, but as far as I can tell, it can't be found online at all anymore. I've been doing a 50/50 split of treadmill and running outside. I prefer the longer runs too which is great! Probably because it takes me about 10 minutes to really get in the groove of things! I am still running at a slow pace, in fact, I am trying not to pay too much attention to that while I work towards more base building. I also still work much harder while running outside, no matter how much I try to slow down, my heart rate drifts higher outside than on the treadmill. I have set my treadmill on an incline but that doesn't seem to do much. It sure is quiet around here! Must be that time of year - training season is 'over'? Cheers!
                        Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com
                          I don't know where the OHR program has gone (I'm using a different program), but you can still find a copy in this group's faq.

Running in Belgium
                          Ann

Tortoise

Hi, there! Last time I was on the forum, I was going into W7 of C25K, and then I kind of disappeared. So, in mid-August, I developed shin splints in one foot and tried to run through the pain and... um, that didn't work so well. Ow. This led to me taking some time off. Because, like I said. Ow. At the end of September, it was just starting to feel like I would be able to run on it again, and then my roof collapsed. This is not good. I don't recommend it. The disappearance from the forum honestly had less to do with the not running and more to do with the no internet. Last night, I went running for the first time in eleven or twelve weeks. I didn't want to go all the way back to the beginning of the program, so I decided to just run and see what happened. I completed the W6D2 workout comfortably (the last two minutes of running were a push and my muscles are aching like hell this morning, but it is muscle soreness and not pain, and I guess that's to be expected after such a long time off) and I'm planning to feel my way back until I'm back following the program. If anyone's done this and has any tips for not killing myself, I'd really appreciate them. You know what the best part was? Even in those last two minutes, all I could think was, "I've missed this SO MUCH."
                            "It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit."

iang999

Hi, there! Last time I was on the forum, I was going into W7 of C25K, and then I kind of disappeared. ....... If anyone's done this and has any tips for not killing myself, I'd really appreciate them. You know what the best part was? Even in those last two minutes, all I could think was, "I've missed this SO MUCH."
                              Wow, a bit of bad luck there for sure! But you're so right about missing the feeling of running. I am so grateful for whoever thought up this program and of course the support of all the folks in this group. I was a runner from over 20 years ago but somehow let things lapse with work problems etc. Now I am just about to graduate from the C25K with my last run tomorrow. I could never have got this far without some plan and rigour - just leaping out the door and running as far as possible doesn't work! As for tips, well I took this up at W3 thinking it would be a doodle - my mistake as I had to repeat that week (once) and the subsequent weeks were not easy but doable. Maybe this is stating the obvious but run on soft surfaces, have good shoes, stretch well before and after, warm up and so on. I too have had mild cases of shin splints but it seemed a combination of factors fxed that problem. I have found that once you get past the 28 min barrier things become manageable and on my last session I got into a groove and you just sort of float along. So now I am really looking forward to the last day (W9D3 .. Smile), and have actually planned out some routes in some interesting countryside. Good luck to all.
                              Complete C25K Done on 11/16/08!
                              Keep running regularly 3 times a week
                              Weight loss
                              Plan a 5k race Do a 10k
                              Get weekly mileage up to 20

The young Mama Bear!

Hi, there! Last time I was on the forum, I was going into W7 of C25K, and then I kind of disappeared. Last night, I went running for the first time in eleven or twelve weeks. I didn't want to go all the way back to the beginning of the program, so I decided to just run and see what happened. I completed the W6D2 workout comfortably (the last two minutes of running were a push and my muscles are aching like hell this morning, but it is muscle soreness and not pain, and I guess that's to be expected after such a long time off) and I'm planning to feel my way back until I'm back following the program. If anyone's done this and has any tips for not killing myself, I'd really appreciate them. You know what the best part was? Even in those last two minutes, all I could think was, "I've missed this SO MUCH."
                                Right? I ran for the first time in almost a month, and it felt great. Everything was tight, but it felt right. I'm glad you're back in action! All I can say is to work your way back up. I keep hearing that you lose 10% of your fitness after 7 days of no exercise. You can get it back, though! Just don't kill yourself - maybe go back a week or so if you're not feeling W6. If you are, just go slower. I didn't die, promise, ya'll! I've been colleged-out, and been running all around. So sorry!
                                Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                                Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.