Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Week of 6.7.09-6.13.09 (Read 458 times)

After running, actually running and walking, a 10 K on the 6th, I had not done much at all this week, but today surprised myself, and went to the woods trails.  I just felt good, and wanted to run!

I did my cut down version of Week 5.  I am sneaking up on the 2nd day by doing two days of 6 minute runs, which I have now done, and next time will try to do 7 minute runs.  Eventually I will get to that magic number 8 minutes,  and officially start "Day 2" of "Week 5".  I'm pretty happy that this is working.  I know that a month ago I would have had great difficulty in running even 5 minutes. 

So my progress is verrrrrrrrry slow, but I hang in there, and am making progress. 

Happy Runs, evereyone.   Woods Lady

After running, actually running and walking, a 10 K on the 6th....

Hold on a second there sporty!  You cannot come in here and say something like that without providing some details.  Where is the race report?  Smile

You Are Beautiful.

Hold on a second there sporty!  You cannot come in here and say something like that without providing some details.  Where is the race report?  Smile

+1!

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
        Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

I ran W9D3 on the trail with Copper this morning which makes us officially graduates of the C25K program!  Smile  Copper seems nonplussed but I suppose I would too if someone ran next to me carrying a bag of my poop.

I hope everyone has a beautiful weekend. 

You Are Beautiful.

I ran W9D3 on the trail with Copper this morning which makes us officially graduates of the C25K program!  Smile  Copper seems nonplussed but I suppose I would too if someone ran next to me carrying a bag of my poop.

I hope everyone has a beautiful weekend. 

YAY! Congrats! That is pretty formidable! Badass!

My Storygraph

Hey, Chup Chup.   Bravo!   Enjoy your victory.   Woods Lady

After I wrote this, I went to the woods road to do C25K, week 5, day1 - my second version with 7 minute intervals - and got along fine.  I will repeat this one time, though, and then go on to day 2.  Then, afterwards, up in the woods walking/running, a black bear was in my path!      Usually my dog scares away other animals, but he wasn't with me today.  I put up my arms, made myself big, and barked  big and low!   Ursus Americanus went the other way, and I mad record time down the path to home.  Next time, I will make sure my dog Robby is with me. 

Baby bean!

Yay Chup Chup!!!  Congratulations to you and Copper!

Goals:
                Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

OK, Ok, race report.   It was a 10K in Gold Hill, Oregon.  DD1 was doing the 5K, and DD3, the real runner in the family ,was doing the Half Marathon.  There were two others there from RA who I know.  the guy, Johnny, has an injury, and ran with me.  Very nice of him. 

I had a new Years resolution to do a 10K by years end, and have been doing 5K's.   I have done one 8k, and that was not really easy, but I am a better runner now, and thought, what the heck.  I planned to do the C25K routine for the first part of the race, and then just run what I could , and  walk when I needed to.  That has been my system all along, and I have been able to run a little more all the time,and walk less.  And my time has improved.  So almost on a whim, I decided on the 10K on the night before the race.  I was in my best shape, and felt strong and good.  But when I signed up at the desk, I was only able to whisper "10K".   However, first thing in the morning, I had written on my hand what I thought I could do for each mile.  Or what I wanted to do. 

I have yet to figure out my warm up system.  There is a fine line there as to what is needed, and what will just wear me out before I start.  When the race started, I had planned on 6 min. intervals, but was tired right away, and felt "stuck" in this longer race, but after mile 1, I got in the groove, and felt good about being there.  By mile 2, I thought, hey, I'm a third way through, and I can do this!  

Here is my low tech secret!   I eat gum drops for energy at miles 2, 3, 5, and two at the end of the race.     Also, I had the offered water at mile 3.  halfway through, and feeling Ok - well, not wiped out yet.  Mile 4 happened there somewhere.  Somewherre along the way I checked my hand, and realized I was perfect on my time.By mile 5, I was getting pretty tired, and ta woman who I had passed cut a corner (probably a mistake), and was now ahead of me again!     I made a plan, and verrrrry gradually, and by small running intervals came up behind her, and passed her not too far from the end. 

A car got in front of me just before the finish, and the officials came running out hollering while I jumped to the curb, and passed the stupid car.   I was 1/1 in my age group!     It pays to be older!   I was tired, but not completely wiped out, and didn't feel faint at the end, which I have had some trouble with in some other races.   The trick seems to be to eat the gum drops, keep moving after the finish line, and head right away for the water, juice, fruit, etc.  Blood sugar, electrolites, hydration, etc. 

I'm glad I did it.   I won't say it was easy, but it was possible.  next I may do an 8K with DD1 on June 21st, but still need to rest up some, and work on the C25K for more endurance.   Woods Lady

Hey, any and all of you people can get out there and just DO a 5K.   If you have to walk 95%, that is Ok - the race officials are use to that.  "Fun Runs" are perfect for that.  Practice your C25K intervals,and then do what you can when you can.   W L

WoodsLady - Awesome race report and congrats on your 10K PR!  Your pace was even better than your 8K PR!  Loved the bear story too (glad you're okay). Smile 

You Are Beautiful.

Good race report! And any excuse to eat gumdrops will entice me Smile

My Storygraph

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Woodslady!

Congratulations on finishing your first 10K, and congrats on your age group win!  Big grin

Don't stress too much over the warm-up thing right now.  Generally speaking, the longer the race the less of a warm-up people do.  You want to warm up if you are going to be running hard or want your maximum speed.  But if you've not run the distance of a race before, it's perfectly fine to make the first mile or so of a race be your warm-up instead.  Next year at this time, if you continue to improve the way you have, a 10K will not seem as daunting and you might have extra energy/miles available for a proper warm-up.  But for now don't worry about it if you do another one anytime soon.

I love gumdrops!  I just have a habit of putting too much stuff like that in my mouth all at once and then finding it hard to breathe...   I guess it pays to not be greedy!

Roads were made for journeys...