Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Week 3 Has Begun! (Read 280 times)

Got a good run in this morning.  Figured it would be tough to bump to 3 min runs from 90" runs, but it wasn't hard at all.  Had a tougher 2nd 3 minute run, though, as it was up a pretty steep, short hill, as luck would have it.  Made it without walking though.  Oddly enough, no distance increase again this week, took about 20 min to reach 1.2 mi with the run/walk program.

Still have a lingering cough, but it looks like the worst of my cold is over. 

Looking forward to Thanksgiving...my daughter will be coming home from college, and my son plans to attend dinner as well.  My parents are coming from Virginia for the day, so I'll have a full house.  Already got the grocery shopping and house cleaning done, so just waiting for the big day to arrive!

Michele in NC

Another good run in today.  Feeling a little tightness in my right ITB (I've injured it before) so I need to start stretching and rolling, ugh.  Just don't want it to flare up and cost me the progress I've made already.  I don't know why it's so sensitive..

Michele in NC

obiebyke

Yay!

Yeah, baby that ITB. And enjoy week 3. I'm headed into even colder weather today--Minnesota--so the rest of week 9 is going to be cooooold! Shocked

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Michelle - I got ITB issues when I first stated running - but after finishing c25k.  Maybe I ran c25k slow enough to avoid anything. There are some ITB stretches that help (one where one foot behind the other then bend forward is one I like and still do occasionally), but the one thing that really helped me overcome the ITB issue was slowing down. At the time by doing more walking, currently by using low heart rate training which slows one down a notch at first. It's allowed me to get to 35 mi/week w/o re-injury now that I've retired and have the time to run as long as I wanted to.

bob e v
          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Obie, Minnesota, are you NUTS????  Safe travels...you'll have to double layer, ha ha!  It's supposed to turn chilly here in NC by Friday.  Ran in shorts the last few mornings, I'll have to wear a hat and gloves come Friday.

Thanks for the help, bob.  It's nice to know that you can overcome that nasty ITBS.  It's funny that my first 4-5 years of running I had no injuries, then suddenly my ITB flared up.  Never got over it, I'm afraid.

I have some stretches, and, now that my ITB is tight, I'll have the motivation to do them!  One of my problems is that I'm goal oriented, and I push too hard.  I'm running on concrete right now too, so I know that's not helping.

Michele in NC

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

The beauty of Low Heat Rate training is it forces one to be patient... very calming! RA has an excellent LHR forum that even Dr. Phil Maffetone references.

bob e v
              2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Happy Turkey Day everyone.  Safe travels, and enjoy your time with family and friends.

Slept in this morning!  Didn't dare hang out in bed longer, as I need to get the turkey in the oven.  Continued Week 3 today, ready for a rest day tomorrow.  Had to wear long sleeves, pants, and  hat this morning, very different than earlier in the week.

Michele in NC

Continued week 3 today after a rest day.  Was 36F, brrrr!  Did fine.  I'm thankful the stressful part of the holiday is over, now I can just enjoy my weekend!  I'm feeling a bit apprehensive about next week's 5 min run...that's going to be a major hurdle.

Michele in NC

obiebyke

36! Very tough, very tough. I haven't run in the past couple of days. Oops. I'm using the cold as an excuse.

Don't worry about the 5 minute run. You'll be able to do it. And if not, try it again the next time. Who's going to know, except us? Wink

Obie, you still in Minnesota?  Don't blame you for wanting to cozy up inside...I don't think I'd be a runner if I had to tough it out up there.  I guess there's always the treadmill, yucky.

Finished week 3 on today's run...did well, looking forward to the additional challenge of week 4 after a rest day.  My right ITB is still a little tight after sitting around for awhile after a run.  I've been lazy about stretching and rolling it, need to get myself into the groove of doing that again.   So far it's not bothering me when I'm running, though, so that's good.

My daughter, husband, and I are getting ready to head out to see the new Harry Potter...I've been looking forward to it for awhile.  It's her last day in town with us before she heads back to college, and I probably won't see her again until Christmas. Angry

Michele in NC

obiebyke

Just got back to WI from MN. It's warmer here, so hopefully a run tomorrow.

Nice job finishing out week 3!

I'm in grad school. I'm sure my mom feels like you do. Smile

I'm in grad school. I'm sure my mom feels like you do. Smile

You betcha, I'll bet she does!  Happy running in the freezing weather! Evil

Michele in NC