Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Working overnights (Read 147 times)

More turtle than hare...

Does anyone else have a mixed-up work/life schedule? I have two part-time jobs that I love, but juggling them is a bit of a nightmare. One of my jobs is a casual position with lots of overnight/late night shifts, the other is mainly during the daytime. I'm lucky that I can sleep pretty well whenever I get the chance, but when do I run? Anyone else have this lifestyle? I love running in the mornings, but is it a good idea to run in the morning after having worked all night? Or, should I adjust my thinking and choose my "morning" to be the time before I head into work (ie. 9pm). What works for you?

running buddies

I also work two part-time jobs (don't necessarily love them, but they fit into my home life). One is late evenings, so I get much less sleep on those nights. Since I usually only take one (rarely two) late shift a week, I try to avoid running the next morning and use it as a rest day. I am trying to keep this running thing a positive experience and I know how crabby and tired I feel after too little sleep. Some people run after they get home from work, so if you've been up all night and still feel awake, maybe that's not a bad time to run. Or, if you sleep when you get home, get up from sleeping and go run. I suspect you will need to try out different options and see what feels good to you. Just keep running!
      "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
      Wingz

Professional Noob

I don't have your overnight problem, but when my schedule's been really hectic and confusing it has helped me to plan my running times a week in advance. Every Sunday I would sit down and say, "Okay, now when can I fit in my runs this week? ..." I've heard a number of people say they "can't" run in the mornings after working all night, but I don't understand how that's any different than running in the evenings after working all day. Yes, you're tired, but if that's when you have to run, then that's when you run! Whenever you work out, if you make running a priority then you'll make time for it. Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Whenever you work out, if you make running a priority then you'll make time for it. Big grin
          I agree. I'm fortunate in that I work part time from home and have a very flexible schedule. I can plan my runs around the weather. Smile

More turtle than hare...

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Wingz, planning for the week is admirable - and it makes sense. We plan commitments to other people, why not ourselves, too? You're right though, it all comes down to priorities in the end. Things that are worthwhile aren't always easy, right? Smile