Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly thread: December 15th-21st (Read 223 times)

The young Mama Bear!

Looks like while I was gone, the group died a little bit. It's understandable - winter is hard to run through! Let me hear your triumphs, tribulations, etc.! Have a good week, everyone. Big grin
    Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
    Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
    rdmsgirl

Marie

I've been lazy, and stuck on week 8. I haven't run since last Friday Sad
        Hello everyone! It's been a while since I've vistied, I've been crazy busy. I agree with goddess! It's super hard to run through winter. I have been forced to run on the dreadmill for the past few months. My husband has been running through the cold as much as he can ( he refuses to run on the treadmill) but we had a blizzard and yesterday it was -20 with -45 degree windchills and it hasn't gotten much better so he has been passing on the running. So him not running has made it harder for me to run. I graduate C25K at the end of October and I didn't start the OHR but I've been working my way up with milage. The past two weeks my long days are 5 miles! I can't believe I did it and it felt pretty good. When I started C25K I wasn't sure I would be able to finish it let alone ever get to a point where I could run 5 miles! This is what keeps me motivated to run through the winter. Everytime I start thinking about skipping running on the dreadmill I think about how hard I worked to get to where I am. I don't want to start over I just have to remind myself and then it's easy to get up and run.

Tortoise

W9D2. I haven't run outside in weeks, but today, I didn't have time to go to the gym, so it was outside or nothing. And, since I haven't run since last Friday, I didn't want it to be nothing, so I dressed in many, many layers, pulled my shoes on, and got my butt out of the door. It felt great. You forget just how soulless the treadmill is until you're not running on it anymore. I ran further than I have, ever. Today was the first time I hit 4km, and I felt like I could have kept going.
          "It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit."

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

Well I haven't been running much lately between work, school and keeping up with the house I haven't had much time. I went out for a slow 3.5 mile run on Sunday and it took just over 40 mins which isn't bad. My last final is tonight and I am hoping to kick up my running (slowly of course) so I'm running 4-5 days a week and hoping by march to be running 10K/60 mins (normally I'm a 10mm runner).
            -Jen
            2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
              It seems to be a little bit difficult to run last weeks... As I told before, two weeks ago I suddenly developed a sharp pain in my right feet (which I was sure was not running related). I could run, and running felt far better than walking around in my office (and going up and down stairs, which was worst). Only last friday I suddenly discovered my foot felt much better when I walked barefoot, and after having put on no shoes at all (except for those few hours I was not at home) during the weekend, the pain was completely, completely gone.... OK, tuesday I went to the office, and in the late afternoon we got a holiday-reception, and I have been standing upright for two hours. It felt terrible... I could hardly walk, and when I arrived home I have walked barefoot (it was freezing) from my car to the front door, because I couldn't stand my shoes. Luckily, I didn't have many appointments yesterday and today, merely meetings with direct collegues. So for the biggest part of the day, I have been wearing very comfortable flat slippers, and only put on my not-so-high heels went I had a patient coming (I nearly always wear a dress or a skirt, so I really can't wear my flat walking-type shoes with them). Only one day of work, and from saturday on, 2 (two!!!) weeks of vacation. The first day I will do on saturday is going to a shoe store and buy some elegant, allthough really flat shoes...

Running in Belgium
              Ann

iang999

I'm really frustrated and annoyed with myself at the moment. Been laid low with a bug (yet again! Dead ) for the past week and don't think that even tomorrow (Sunday) I will be well enough to venture out again which is a shame as the weather has turned nice and mild. However, I do have time off over the XMAS and new year break so I have that flexibility over the period. Hope everyone else is making progress and getting out there and enjoying the run.
                Complete C25K Done on 11/16/08!
                Keep running regularly 3 times a week
                Weight loss
                Plan a 5k race Do a 10k
                Get weekly mileage up to 20

The young Mama Bear!

It's okay, guys...winter is a mother. It's going to be a crazy one, if these last few months have been any indication. Haven't been running due to weather and my hatred of treadmills. It's way to dangerous to brave it outside...lots of ice. It's depressing but we'll all get through it!
                  Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                  Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                    It's way to dangerous to brave it outside...lots of ice.
                    Have you tried looking into Yak Trax?

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

The young Mama Bear!

Have you tried looking into Yak Trax?
                      *too dangerous. My my. It's only icy temporarily, so I'm not going to shell out more money on ice gear. Thanks, though!