Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Week of 6.7.09-6.13.09 (Read 458 times)

You Are Beautiful.

Life is going great here! That's all I have to say at this time! I am loving the weather, loving my new (4 mile-ish) route. . .life is good.

Hope everyone is having a great week Smile

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
    Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

My Little Pony hair.

It's been beautiful in my area lately, and I'm hoping it keeps it up. On the treadmill I'm on w6d2 (which I actually find more difficult that w5d3), and outside I'm still plugging along on week3 workouts.

I've reached the point where I'm torn between running outside, where it's more interesting and smells so nice in the woods around the bike path and I feel like I've actually done some work, and running inside where I generally don't feel like my legs are going to fall off, sit beside the path, and say "Oh no, Crystal, you go on ahead, we'll catch up," but can run for a decent amount of time before I get winded.

So I think that this week I might try alternating days on the treadmill with days outside and see how that goes.  Last week I did 3 days in a row outside (2 cut short and one full run) and wasn't feeling too bad, and since usually my outside runs leave me sore more than the inside ones, I'll try a few days of in and out runs to see how I feel.  Plus, later this month (after we pay my mother our rent and pay for my truck) I'm getting new tires for my bike and buying Eddie the bike that I promised him for his birthday, so I can add that to our weekend routine.

2011 Goals:

• lose more weight
      • run 1000k
      • be more confident in my running abilities

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop. | my running blog | upcoming races

Ran W9D1 of C25K on the trail with Copper this morning morning.  I held my pace in check but still felt winded after the run.  Sad  On the bright side, today I logged my 50th mile since starting C25K a couple of months ago!  Smile

onomatopoeia - Why the big difference in treadmill vs outdoor running?  I'm guessing it's the hills.  If so, maybe you can bike or drive to a starting location where the trails are flatter?

I hope everyone has great runs this week!  Smile

My Little Pony hair.

onomatopoeia - Why the big difference in treadmill vs outdoor running?  I'm guessing it's the hills.  If so, maybe you can bike or drive to a starting location where the trails are flatter?

Oh, it's a really flat bike path, nicely paved and only a few years old, part of an old railroad track system and the only hill around is the 15ft worth of space between the parking lot and the path itself.  I think the biggest problems I have are running too fast when I'm outside, and I don't think I exert myself as much on the treadmill because I'm not actually propelling myself forward - the belt moves my legs back and all I need to do is bring them forward and not fall off.

2011 Goals:

• lose more weight
          • run 1000k
          • be more confident in my running abilities

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop. | my running blog | upcoming races

I think the biggest problems I have are running too fast when I'm outside....

Based on your RA log and your blog (loved the graphics) I'd say you're right about running too fast.   Hold a conversation or sing or hum to yourself.  These techniques are easy to do and will automatically queue you to slow down.  It's okay to go slow!  The whole idea is that to go faster go farther; to go farther go slower.  Once you bring your speed down you will find that you can go 2 miles or farther.  Smile  You can do this!

Don't forget that there's also a huge difference in the impact.  Running on pavement is TOUGH on your body, especially compared to a nice cushioned treadmill.

And I agree, your speeds outside are considerably faster than when you're on the treadmill. 

You Are Beautiful.

I was amazed at how fast I was running outside compared to how I felt I was running. It FELT like I was running like a 3.5mph pace outside. But it really was like a 5.5. Agreed with everyone else, slow up, take your time. It's hard, especially when you feel like people outside are watching you but it's gonna come. You'll get faster. Keep the conversation pace, even if it means singing to yourself!

My Storygraph

Baby bean!

Got tired of waiting for my DH, who WILL run again but needs more down time.  So I did W7D2 today and while I was slow, I went!!!  I'm so thrilled.  I kept telling myself how good I was doing, how this hill will firm my butt, how this block will make my green bikini look great, etc.  That really helped me.  Yay!

Goals:
                  Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

You Are Beautiful.

make my green bikini look great, etc
                    you're wearing a two piece? LUCKY!

i look at them all the time at target, macys, etc. i'm not brave enough yet. i have a simple one piece black speedo. it's basically for a grandma. maybe in another month or two.

My Storygraph

Baby bean!

Actually, I think string bikinis are more flattering!  And I can't find a one piece that I like that ISN'T $100!

Goals:
                      Finish C25K

RookieRider

Ah bikiini's. I remember when this body could wear them.

Finished w8d1 yesterday. Felt great. I still don't have a good idea of how far I'm running. I recalibrated the Nano/Nike+. According to it I ran 1.60 on Saturday. This doesn't include my walking time/distance. This week one day I'm going to take my bike to the trail and ride the trail to see how far I'm going. Maybe today if it isn't raining later.

2009 goals Complete C25K Run my first 5k Run another 5k Cycle a half century Cycle EVERY week

You Are Beautiful.

Skipped my solo AM run in favor of a warmer, partner run this afternoon. He better not flake on me! I have a wedding to go this weekend. I hope it doesn't interfere too much with my schedule. I got some miles to log! I might start Higdon week 1 this week.

My Storygraph

Ran W9D2 of C25K with Copper this sunny morning.  I tried to hold my pace in check and low and behold I was able to hit my target pace without ever looking at my watch.  I think I'm finally getting to the point where I can read my body somewhat better.  Smile

I hope everyone has awesome runs this week!

My wife recently completed a 10 week boot camp like program at Farrell's and she shared her before and after pictures with me.  Wow, what a difference her hard work made!  We both have a ways to go weight loss wise, but she has made tremendous progress and should be very proud of herself.  Now if I could only get her interested in running.  Smile

Baby bean!

Chup Chup...you are almost there!!!  I love that you are doing it with your dog.

I just finished week 7.  I have a SLOW pace, but I'm not stopping and that is a HUGE hurdle that I have gotten past.  This weekend, moving on to week 8. 

Goals:
                              Finish C25K

sushigirl - A tired dog is a good dog.  Smile  You wrote that your pace is slow ... well that might be but I compared our logs it's clear I'm going slower.  :P  Good luck with W8!