Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

How to dress not too warm... (Read 171 times)

For some of you folks, this may sound like a luxury problem (having read the temperatures CanadianMeg has to endure)... These days, it is rather cold here to Belgian standards. I do not remember two consecutive nights of less than -13° C (below 8.6°F) like last night and tonight, and when I went out for my run it was -5°C (23°F). (It has been cold - freezing by night and around freezing by day since dec 26th, which is rather long here...) Yesterday it snowed almost 10cm (4''), and it won't melt before Saturday. The scenery is really beautiful now, and it reminds me of my childhood (it seems that we had a few days of snow every year then), so I really enjoyed my run. But... until know, every time I run when the weather is cold, it turns out I dressed to warm. How do you decide what to wear when it is colder?

Running in Belgium
    Ann

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

You should be a little cold when you start out, so when your body starts warming up you don't get overheated. This morning it was 26 F here. I wore a pair of yoga pants over my tights, a long-sleeved tech t-shirt and a long-sleeved (lightweight) fleece top, and ear warmers. I was toasty warm after the first few minutes.
        I'm having a problem figuring out what to wear too. The temperatures here are just like CanadianMeg has. We consider it normal when the temperature never gets above 0 F. And I hate cold! And I really hate the wind and the windchill. And maybe I'm just being a wimp, but I was worried I'd get frostbite on my face. I've been using the treadmill since it got this cold out because my cold weather running wasn't working out. I dressed in layers, felt like I was wrapped in a straight jacket by the time I got out the door, and then was hit with a cold wind as soon as I made it around the first corner. Personally I would rather be warm to start and then take a layer off as I get heated up, but that's just me.
        Wingz

Professional Noob

You might want to stop by your local running store and ask the staff there what they'd recommend. Sorry I don't have much more to add - it's gotten down to 29 once here this winter... and boy that was a cold night! I love North Carolina... Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Here's what I do. I consider how I would dress if it were 10*C warmer and dress for that. I used this guideline all year, including when I was running in the heat! At 0*C (freezing point), I was dressing for 10*C. It means I'm usually a bit cold until I get going. I've also starting noting in my training log what I wore for runs at certain temps and noted the run conditions so I can refer back later. Feel free to snoop through my log; I don't list clothing in all posts but I do in a few in the last six weeks (and there aren't a ton of entries in the last 6). Today I got to run (yay!) in -20*C with a 9kph NW wind. I wore a ballcall, long sleeved tech shirt, tshirt, fleece over top, fleece pants with unlined windpants over wool socks and mittens. It was pretty comfortable. I've had some runs when I wasn't dressed quite right, but I'm learning. My fleece jacket is a full zip; I've had some runs when I have unzipped partway and rezipped at different times. Some of my good lessons... * the shirt closest to your skin should be a wicking shirt even if your layers on top aren't; it's a good idea to tuck in that base layer if it's not tight to keep any wind out if your outer layers aren't tight at the bottom * an outer layer that zips is good because you can adjust if you get too warm * you want to be a bit cool to start the run because your muscles will heat you up when you get moving

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

I pretty much run in underarmor coldgear once it goes to 30 F or colder. I wear just my tights and a coldgear shirt (made to keep you warm in the cold). Then a headband to cover my ears and gloves for my hands but they always come off after a mile or two when I warm up. If it's really windy I'll throw on a fleece or heavy t-shirt and yoga pants or something similar to break the wind on my legs. Thats about it anything else and I get too hot.
              -Jen
              2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
                I've also starting noting in my training log what I wore for runs at certain temps and noted the run conditions so I can refer back later.
                I was thinking to do that too...
                Today I got to run (yay!) in -20*C with a 9kph NW wind. I wore a ballcall, long sleeved tech shirt, tshirt, fleece over top, fleece pants with unlined windpants over wool socks and mittens.
                Yes, and that explains why I felt too hot above my hips: at -5°C and no wind I was wearing a short sleeved tech shirt, a long sleeved tech shirt, and a fleece. My legs were OK, just slightly insulated tights, and cotton socks. I have to learn to wear a lighter top...
                an outer layer that zips is good because you can adjust if you get too warm
                Another excellent tip!
                I pretty much run in underarmor coldgear once it goes to 30 F or colder. I wear just my tights and a coldgear shirt (made to keep you warm in the cold). Then a headband to cover my ears and gloves for my hands but they always come off after a mile or two when I warm up. If it's really windy I'll throw on a fleece or heavy t-shirt and yoga pants or something similar to break the wind on my legs. Thats about it anything else and I get too hot.
                That's probably what I need to do, too.. I recognize the comming of of the gloves and the headband after a few miles Smile Thank you for your comments, all of you! And the weather forcasts are quite 'good', the frost will go on at least till after the weekend (with lots of sun!), so I can try it out on my next runs...

Running in Belgium
                Ann