Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Here comes another week, and I'm ditching the scale! (Read 133 times)

Bouncy Butt

Runner's legs I have not

Hey, all you lurkers, and HopesMom! Big grin So, I survived two whole weeks of running and walking on my days off. This last Thursday night I could not get warm all evening and felt extremely achey, so I figured the flu bug had bitten me. I took some preventative measures and Friday felt better but every muscle hurt in the weirdest way. And get this: while washing my face, my eyebrows hurt!!! So freakin strange... I made the decision to forego my daily training session and play it safe.

So, that was my excuse to NOT run on Friday, as planned. BUT I did make plans to go run on Saturday with my almost-sister, Tina, and I did go, so I felt much much better for doing so. 

I struggled with some disappointment prior to my final run of the week because I didn't want to lose the momentum that I had going, even if it was only two weeks in. I felt like every other time I had quit an exercising endeavor/lifestyle change -- this was the beginning of that. After Saturday's run, things looked and felt differently, and in a good way. 

I've also come to the conclusion that I will not weigh myself for a month. It's maddening to get on the scale every morning and see it either (a) not budge, or (b) go up, or (c) go up some more! Focusing more on the mental imagery of where I want to be rather than where I currently am is an approach I am embracing from now on, and I have started training my brain to envision myself crossing finish lines in a body that is more than capable of running long distances. 

Ka-POW!

Singer who runs a smidge

Woo-hoo, Bouncy!  Awesome for listening to what your body is telling you, and major awesomeness for ditching the scale!!!  Too many people believe that thin = healthy, even though the science says there are unhealthy thin people and healthy fat people.  Health has absolutely nothing to do with weight, and that's what SCIENCE says.  Not society, not the diet industry, trained people doing research.  I haven't stepped on a scale in about a year.  When I go to the doctor, I either get on the scale backwards or with my eyes shut.  I tell the nurse "I don't need to know what the number is, so don't tell me".  Be aware that you also have every right to skip the scale at the doctor's office, if you choose.

But for me, I used to weigh myself every morning.  I'd get up out of bed, feeling strong, happy, well-rested, looking forward to the day ahead.  Then I'd go in the bathroom, step on the scale, and the world would come crashing down.  30 seconds later I'm standing naked in front of the mirror saying "You are disgusting.  You are ugly.  You are loathesome."  Finally I realized that the only thing that changed in that minute and a half was a number, and I quit cold turkey.  Now I look at myself and say "You breathe.  You sing.  You run.  You are beautiful.  You are amazing."

We do such a huge disservice to ourselves when we buy into the belief that only thin is good, only thin is healthy.  It's like those Special K commercials:  "What will you gain when you lose?"  Not a damn thing, because I refuse to wait to live my life until my hips are acceptable to the world at large.

Woo-hoo!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

I bailed on W2D1 last night because I came home with quite the headache.  I think I have a muscle spasming in my neck, which is leaking tension up to my head.  So I will swim today, spend a little time in the hot tub, and then run this evening.  Then I'll also run Wednesday and Friday, and swim either Thursday or Friday.  Then there's caroling with the chorus on Saturday, and the choir Christmas musical on Sunday ... whew!!  Wink

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Bouncy Butt

Runner's legs I have not

I'm glad to hear it's a headache and not your knee that made you bail on your run; it sounds like you're doing what you can to alleviate the cause... except you have a crazy schedule with your singing! 'Tis the season, eh?

My r. knee was giving me fits after W3D1 yesterday. I have no history of knee problems, but feel I've dodged the bullet for a long time carrying way too much extra weight. I am hoping it doesn't continue hurting. Ice and rest after my run and today it feels better even after a busy evening loading and unloading cabinet doors I'm getting ready to paint.

I anticipate a walk later today whether the weather cooperates or not! Because I am living out of a suitcase, staying with my brother at the moment, I don't have a plethora of clothes stockpiled to chose from. The gear I have is not for winter running/walking. But I will make do Smile

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, I was off work yesterday due to a noon singing gig -- we sang for a Military Officers' luncheon.  We sang about a half-hour's worth of Christmas songs, and then we finished off with the Armed Forces medley.  We asked members of the various branches of service to stand when their song was sung, and it was a truly wonderful thing!  They loved it, and we loved singing it for them, and it completely brought down the house.  Woo-hoo!!

And I polished off W2D1 on Tuesday  night and W2D2 Wednesday morning, so I'm plowing through Week 2!  Although my knee is complaining a bit about running, running, performing, and then standing through choir practice last night.  Of course I have chorus rehearsal tonight, so it probably won't like that either.  Then I will probably swim tomorrow, then there's running and Christmas caroling on Saturday, then we're doing the cantata at two services on Sunday ...

Yep, 'tis the season!!  Big grin

Singer who runs a smidge

I completely bailed on chorus rehearsal last night in favor of a bubble bath and a REALLY early bedtime.  One thing I know about this time of year is that it can get very busy, and that busyness can overwhelm me if I'm not careful, and I usually end up sick.  Maybe it's because I turned 40 a few months ago, but this year I'm taking downtime whenever I feel like I need it, no matter what my "obligations" are.  And I think I'll enjoy the season more for that.  So, I brought my gear in to swim today, and maybe I will and maybe I won't.  W2D3 happens tomorrow morning!!

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

got slow 90min/5mi run/walk in on Dreadmill... missed goal of 2hrs/8mi - not fully adjusted to the meal replacements of medically managed weight loss program I started Thur...

bob e v
                2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Singer who runs a smidge

Meal replacements and the dreadmill, you truly are a sucker for punishment!!  I had a busy busy weekend, and yesterday evening after a Saturday of running, walking, and singing and then a Sunday of standing and singing, my knees were both fussing at me.  I'm doing a bit better today after a night's rest, and Week 2 is done!!  It's supposed to rain today, so I brought my gear in to swim, and then DH and I (and Dusty the Dog) will start W3D1 tomorrow.  Which will give me time to put the workout into my Garmin tonight, because I don't think I can remember something that complicated!  Wink

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Meal replacements and the dreadmill, you truly are a sucker for punishment!!  I had a busy busy weekend, and yesterday evening after a Saturday of running, walking, and singing and then a Sunday of standing and singing, my knees were both fussing at me.  I'm doing a bit better today after a night's rest, and Week 2 is done!!  It's supposed to rain today, so I brought my gear in to swim, and then DH and I (and Dusty the Dog) will start W3D1 tomorrow.  Which will give me time to put the workout into my Garmin tonight, because I don't think I can remember something that complicated!  Wink

I guess I am a sucker for punishment, especially after an ugly Decker Challenge half!

I used C25K podcasts when I did the program. Worked good because I didn't have a Garmin at that point. Was using watch, mapping route on RA to get distance, and wore a Polar HRM (had promised Cardiologist I would monitor my HR) They are probably still out there and are worth considering. Although Garmin's Interval options can work well too - I use it for Gallowalking runs.

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Singer who runs a smidge

I'm not thrilled with the idea of podcasts, as I'm running at night on roads without sidewalks.  They're familiar, in my neighborhood, and people know that we run, but I still don't want things in my ears in the dark with cars.  The Garmin workout thingy will be fine, although I sweat so much that I can't hear the beeps on my Garmin anyway.  It's all good, I've learned to look down occasionally, and I wear a headlamp so I can see!

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

When I am not on sidewalk I generally put bud in one ear and keep the volume as low as possible. I also use two flashers and have an LL Bean LED light cap my DIL bought me when I retired. I'm mostly a pre-dawn runner because of Austin evening temps are to warm for me most of the year. Higher temps really clobber me, I think because of some of my medications. I also have a1in diam $1 LED flashlight that I bought (actually bought 10 to leave around the house and in cars) that I use to better light road/trail/sidewalk. Its funny, after I retired, I fell and broke my left hand my first non-race run in daylight. To much morning traffic to stay in the road and tripped over uneven sidewalk! Fortunately it was hairline and inside the hand so no splint or anything. 2 1/2 years of running and that was my first fall! LOL I briefly considered going back to work.... NOT!  LOL

bob e v

Singer who runs a smidge

I think my first fall was due to uneven sidewalks too!  I used to run where I work, and most of the sidewalks are brick that have been pushed up by tree roots.  It's treacherous.  Then I got tired of being accosted by men on every. single. run., and now I run where I live, with DH and our 100lb dog Dusty.