Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread July 28 - Aug 2 (Read 494 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

I just spent some time on the General Running forum (things have been slow here at work), and it was scarey. I'm glad to be back with happier, friendlier posts (I'm going to assume the people over there are nice enough, just the posts got tense). Tongue Congrats, Yapper! I'm going to have to go run on a track or a marked path sometime soon and see what kind of pace I'm doing on my long runs. I have one tomorrow, but will probably just stick to the trails for that.
    Heh. Runners are people. My experience is that individually almost everybody is nice, but the more people you put together in a group the less friendly things get. That's my experience. And why I like small groups. Wink You CAN get some useful information from the larger groups, though. And there are a number of experienced and helpful people out there that never stick their heads into smaller groups like this. So it's a mixed bag. From what I've seen, though, in spite of the culture change RA went through this past year, things are still more civil than on many running message boards. It's because nice people make an effort to keep things that way. Nice people like you, runs-with-scissors!

Roads were made for journeys...

Wingz

Professional Noob

Not at all. Take the charts! Smile
      OK. Goddess, I'm assuming from here on out you've got the charts until you let someone know you're not able to keep them up. Let me know if you need any technical help! Thanks for taking this over!

The young Mama Bear!

OK. Goddess, I'm assuming from here on out you've got the charts until you let someone know you're not able to keep them up. Let me know if you need any technical help! Thanks for taking this over!
        Yep. Smile School might slow me down a little come September, but I'll try to be as diligent as possible. As a reminder, I can't bump you up a block until you've completed a week. I know, I'd love to have an extra block myself (Big grin), but it'll come. I'll also add new runners, but if I never see you again I will have to take you off. Please don't make me do that...keep updating us! I woke up late so I can't jog, and I'm pretty bummed. It looks like it wants to storm, though, so I guess it was a no-go to begin with. Grr. As for the main forums, most of the people seem nice but you can tell there is an established group there. Not to say they aren't nice (because most of them are), but that's what tends to happen with forums. Don't worry about it...you've still got here. Wink
        Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
        Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
          W7D1 done! Great run - waaay better than the W6D3 25 minuter Smile The charts are looking awesome! Shocked
          theyapper

On the road again...

Well, I finished this week up with my sons running their last run of C25K week one. They told me jokes te whole way an did great. FWIW, this was my first 20+ mile week. Woo hoo!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

running buddies

I just got back from OHR W8D3 - 49 minutes! Big grin It's funny how some runs are great (like today), even when they are long or rainy or buggy, and some are just awful, even with enough sleep and rest days and starting out with a positive attitude. I think for me, humidity plays a huge role - it's marvelous out there this morning. Cool On the previous topics of breathing, and on bugs: I breathe through my mouth when I run. I learned today that bugs taste quite bitter when you inhale them and they get caught too far down your throat to spit them out. Dead
              "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
                Yep. Smile As a reminder, I can't bump you up a block until you've completed a week. I know, I'd love to have an extra block myself (Big grin), but it'll come. . Wink
                Goddess - Just to clarify, we are still posting what week we are ON, right? So, if I'm doing my Week 8 Day 2 run today, my block would still be at Week 8 because I am on week 8???? This seems to be how others are interpreting it, also, and how I have been doing it since week one! Confused

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

The young Mama Bear!

Goddess - Just to clarify, we are still posting what week we are ON, right? So, if I'm doing my Week 8 Day 2 run today, my block would still be at Week 8 because I am on week 8???? This seems to be how others are interpreting it, also, and how I have been doing it since week one! Confused
                  There seems to be quite a bit of confusion here! The instructions in the GoogleDoc (you may check for yourself if you wish) says to bump up the runner a block if the runner has completed a week...so I'm being obedient and following as such. I know where you're coming from - I thought it was that way too...but I'm just putting it out there that the blocks stand for weeks completed, not the week you're on. Sorry folks! W8D1 wasn't a ball of fun, but I HTFU and got through it. I feel like these long runs are so mental, and they never feel quite right, but I always get through it. Hopefully some of these other runs will feel better eventually. Smile
                  Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                  Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.

running buddies

W8D1 wasn't a ball of fun, but I HTFU and got through it. I feel like these long runs are so mental, and they never feel quite right, but I always get through it. Hopefully some of these other runs will feel better eventually. Smile
                    Goddess, do you realize just how far you've come?! It's been really fun to watch your progress through this. I hope you're proud of yourself - I'm proud of you! Yes (Thanks for catching me up on the chart so quickly! )
                    "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
                      There seems to be quite a bit of confusion here! The instructions in the GoogleDoc (you may check for yourself if you wish) says to bump up the runner a block if the runner has completed a week...so I'm being obedient and following as such. I know where you're coming from - I thought it was that way too...but I'm just putting it out there that the blocks stand for weeks completed, not the week you're on. Sorry folks!
                      I am on Week 8, so I guess you'll have to move my bar back to Week 7. I think everyone else in the "What Week are You On" sticky is still reporting what week they are on, so maybe you'll have to move everyone back? If you are going to bump people ahead to the week they just finished instead of what week they are on, maybe the sticky needs to be changed to reflect that because I don't think many of us actually look at the Google Doc site...we get our info from the sticky and the weekly threads. Congrats on your Week 8 Day 1 run!

MoonStar

Don't think it really matters which way the chart is done as long as it is consistent. I think as soon as we get used to the way you're doing it, Goddess, instead of the way Wingz was doing it nobody will care. It's just a surprise to have the bar stay at the same spot for 2 weeks when mentally you are feeling you are moving on to the next week. Did a 10 mile bike ride this am with my dad. The "Morning Glory" is a fundraiser for Sierra Club. It literally starts at 5:30 am but it's really pretty to see the city lights after you turn around and are coming back into town. Then took a nap for 3 hours and got up and did W2D3 of OHR - probably finished it to show my husband that I was going to finish it instead of stopping after 5 minutes which was his prediction. Legs are tired, but feel like I could have gone further - so HAH! Big grin

The young Mama Bear!

Goddess, do you realize just how far you've come?! It's been really fun to watch your progress through this. I hope you're proud of yourself - I'm proud of you! Yes (Thanks for catching me up on the chart so quickly! )
                          Thanks runswithscissors! Tongue I'm so hard on myself that sometimes I lose sight of the bigger picture...thanks for knocking some sense into me! I'm proud of every runner in here, as well. Cool You happened to update at just the right time. Wink Cristina and MoonStar, I know I know...if you guys want to keep it as 'week ON, not week completed', I can do that. I just need a consensus here... It doesn't bother me either way - I'm just a bit OCD when it comes to charts and such, so as long as I'm on the same page with everyone, it's all good. Big grin A big fat CONGRATS to all runners who finished their respective jogs today...I'll shake the dust off my pom poms and give everyone a big cheer!
                          Wingz

Professional Noob

I HAD been doing the graph to say whatever week someone was on... but like MoonStar said, it doesn't really matter as long as it's consistant. How I WAS doing it is just that... how I was doing it. You're in charge of the charts now, goddess - pick a way that makes sense to you and everyone'll adapt just fine. Smile

It doesn't bother me either way - I'm just a bit OCD when it comes to charts and such, so as long as I'm on the same page with everyone, it's all good. Big grin!
                              Goddess, you're in charge of the charts and they look so pretty Wink, so as long as the plan is consistent and understood by everyone, that will be great! Smile MoonStar pretty much summed up my feelings, too.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Can I just say two days off before my third run of the week sucks! I ran Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday this week and today's run felt like a push. I'm really looking forward to Tuesday's run now.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.