Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Week of 3/22 (Read 284 times)

Baby bean!

Just finished Week 2. We went out yesterday but I wanted the finish the week at the END of an actual week. Hope to do W 3 on Tuesday, Thursday and either Sat or Sun.

Goals:
    Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Finished week 5 day 3 yesterday. 20 minute run. Believe me folks, its all mental. I broke it down to 5 minute segments and cruised through it.
      2009 Goals finish C25K - April 2009 first 5K: Miles for Smiles 5K May 2, 2009 compete in at least 4 5K's for the year.

Baby bean!

Out of curiosity, what do you mean you broke it down into 5 minute segments? Did you set your watch for 5 minutes and just repeated it 4 times? This run was such a stresser for me last year and I know it is mental, but I'd love some strategies for breaking through it.

Goals:
        Finish C25K

RookieRider

I did pretty good last week. I surprised myself. Trying to talk myself into heading outside now to do W3D1. Someone give me a push, will ha?
          2009 goals Complete C25K Run my first 5k Run another 5k Cycle a half century Cycle EVERY week

My Little Pony hair.

I was cool with week2, but week3 is kicking my ass so far Dead I've tried to complete w3d1 twice now, and I make it through the first 3 minute run and then I get a leg cramp in my calf that pretty much renders me unable to run for the rest of the time (although today I did manage to last 5 minutes longer than the previous attempt). I'm thinking that I need to revert back to my previous system of doing the runs at a fast walk/slow run pace for a week and then try to actually speed things up a little.

2011 Goals:

• lose more weight
            • run 1000k
            • be more confident in my running abilities

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop. | my running blog | upcoming races

Wingz

Professional Noob

I was cool with week2, but week3 is kicking my ass so far Dead I've tried to complete w3d1 twice now, and I make it through the first 3 minute run and then I get a leg cramp in my calf that pretty much renders me unable to run for the rest of the time (although today I did manage to last 5 minutes longer than the previous attempt). I'm thinking that I need to revert back to my previous system of doing the runs at a fast walk/slow run pace for a week and then try to actually speed things up a little.
              Crystal, I'm reading this post to say that you decided to speed up your running and you're now finding this to be too much. General consensus on the running boards is that one should either increase volume or intensity but not both. People who do both at the same time have a tendency to get injured. As you work through the c25k program, you're increasing volume. As a new runner, it is indeed volume that you should be concentrating on. Let the speed happen naturally - don't try to run faster just yet. Give it a year and then start thinking about speed. Smile Also, if you're getting leg cramps you may want to check that you're staying hydrated and have been keeping your electrolytes balanced. (If you've been throwing up lately, for example, they'll get all out of whack...) That said, don't stress having to do a workout more than once. That just means you're normal. Wink

Roads were made for journeys...

Baby bean!

Just came back from W3D1. Wasn't bad, but harder than I remember. The DH was trying to push me to go faster but I kept my pace. Wink

Goals:
                Finish C25K

My Little Pony hair.

Crystal, I'm reading this post to say that you decided to speed up your running and you're now finding this to be too much. General consensus on the running boards is that one should either increase volume or intensity but not both. People who do both at the same time have a tendency to get injured. As you work through the c25k program, you're increasing volume. As a new runner, it is indeed volume that you should be concentrating on. Let the speed happen naturally - don't try to run faster just yet. Give it a year and then start thinking about speed.
                  When I say I'm doing a fast walk/slow run, I mean I'm going from my "brisk walk" pace of 2.5mph on the treadmill, to either 3 or 4mph - really barely any change, and barely considered running Sleepy Between weeks one and two, my "runs" would be at most 1.25 miles in 30 minutes. I'm not trying to break any land speed records here, I'm just looking to do more than sluggishly walk on the treadmill. I did week 2 at 4mph without a problem with cramping, and I drink easily about 3 liters of h2o a day, so I don't think hydration is an issue for me.
                  That said, don't stress having to do a workout more than once. That just means you're normal. Wink
                  Week 1 took me 3 weeks, and week 2 was another 2. I'm not stressed, just annoyed that my body's being dumb about running more than 3 minutes at a time.

2011 Goals:

• lose more weight
                  • run 1000k

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop. | my running blog | upcoming races

Wingz

Professional Noob

When I say I'm doing a fast walk/slow run, I mean I'm going from my "brisk walk" pace of 2.5mph on the treadmill, to either 3 or 4mph - really barely any change, and barely considered running Sleepy Between weeks one and two, my "runs" would be at most 1.25 miles in 30 minutes. I'm not trying to break any land speed records here, I'm just looking to do more than sluggishly walk on the treadmill. I did week 2 at 4mph without a problem with cramping, and I drink easily about 3 liters of h2o a day, so I don't think hydration is an issue for me. Week 1 took me 3 weeks, and week 2 was another 2. I'm not stressed, just annoyed that my body's being dumb about running more than 3 minutes at a time.
                    Heh. My run last night was 1.3 miles on the TM at 3.8. I find that's a nice, comfortable EASY pace for me that I slide into when I'm not trying especially hard to go fast. I've been running for about 3 years now. I'm more than a bit on the slow side for someone with that length of experience. Everyone's different. There are a lot of hares out there. But there are also a lot of tortoises. We just tend to keep our mouths closed about our speed because we usually feel self-conscious. Most people start out faster than I am now. Keep on being patient with yourself. You're worth the effort, and the fact that you're working on w3d1 now when it took you 3 tries to get through week 1 means 1) that you're persistent and 2) that you're making progress. Cool Keep up the good work!

Roads were made for journeys...

RookieRider

I guess I'm mixed up on what day I'm on.Roll eyes I found a program for the ipodTouch and today I completed W3D3. I can't believe I made it this far with no hip pain, no shin splints, nothing. I am so excited.
                      2009 goals Complete C25K Run my first 5k Run another 5k Cycle a half century Cycle EVERY week

The Running Mom

I finished week five on Sunday. I wih I could say I smoked it but I was much more concerned about actually finishing than my form. Have days one and two done of week six. I'm way more intimindated by the 25-minute run than the 20-minute run, although I'm not sure why. I sined up for a 4-miler on April 18, and my 2st 5k on April 25.
                        Monica My Blog
                          Out of curiosity, what do you mean you broke it down into 5 minute segments? Did you set your watch for 5 minutes and just repeated it 4 times? This run was such a stresser for me last year and I know it is mental, but I'd love some strategies for breaking through it.
                          Sorry for the dealy, I just convince myself to get to the 5 minute mark. I get to that and convince myself I feel fine and there are no problems. I do the next 5 (10:00) and do the same. I do this 4 times, just telling myself to get to the smaller mark. By the time I got to 20 I really fely I could go longer. I got the 25 this week so I'll just stick with this, as it seemed to work for me.
                          2009 Goals finish C25K - April 2009 first 5K: Miles for Smiles 5K May 2, 2009 compete in at least 4 5K's for the year.

Baby bean!

Sorry for the dealy, I just convince myself to get to the 5 minute mark. I get to that and convince myself I feel fine and there are no problems. I do the next 5 (10:00) and do the same. I do this 4 times, just telling myself to get to the smaller mark. By the time I got to 20 I really fely I could go longer. I got the 25 this week so I'll just stick with this, as it seemed to work for me.
                            Thanks Murph. I will have to try this method when the time comes!

Goals:
                            Finish C25K

My Little Pony hair.

I guess I'm mixed up on what day I'm on.Roll eyes I found a program for the ipodTouch and today I completed W3D3. I can't believe I made it this far with no hip pain, no shin splints, nothing. I am so excited.
                              I think I've got the same Ipod app. It's pretty good, although I tend to run at least the first day of a new week with Suz's podcasts simply for the perkiness of her encouragements before and after the runs. I'm still working on my ultimate running playlist though Smile

2011 Goals:

• lose more weight
                              • run 1000k