Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Two questions... (Read 237 times)

50 halfs by age 50

Hi everyone! I'm a potential new C25K candidate! 1. Which week to start with? I'm not really a new runner (this is my 4th year), but I'm trying to build a better base for long-term. I'd like to try C25K, then progress to OHR. I've always done a run/walk and am currently up to R5/W2 min. Can I just jump right into week 4 or so? 2. How do you keep track of what you're supposed to do during a given run? I'm not sure I can remember to jog 3 min, walk 90 sec, jog 5 min, walk 2.5, etc. Do you just print it out and take it with you? TIA, mel

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Chimera - you are more than welcome to join us. You can start at W4 if you want - just don't start too far into the program, because you need to get used to doing the longer runs. I used the podcasts by Robert Ullrey when I did the program and he tells you when to run and walk. That way you don't need to keep looking at your watch. Good luck!
        How do you keep track of what you're supposed to do during a given run?
        I have done the majority of my runs on a treadmill, and jot down the notes on a post it and stick it on the screen with the times that I'm supposed to do something different. For example: 5R 15w 18R 28W ...meaning that at 5:00, start running, at 15:00, change to a walk, at 18:00 run again, etc. I'm math challenged anyway, and this helps me do C25K for Dummies Smile
          I think it would be ok to start on week 4 and if it seems too much just go back a week or so. I also highly recommend the podcasts by Robert Ullrey!! I'd never remember what I was doing otherwise Wink
          Yelie

50 halfs by age 50

Thanks for the help! I started today with W4D1. I've cut waaaay back on pace since I'm on the TM, but added some mileage to make sure I got in 3 miles tonight.I just kept the plan I printed out on the TM so I could refer to it for the different intervals. Seemed to go pretty well...just very slow Smile

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

2. How do you keep track of what you're supposed to do during a given run? I'm not sure I can remember to jog 3 min, walk 90 sec, jog 5 min, walk 2.5, etc. Do you just print it out and take it with you?
              I just typed this and then it got lost, so here's my re-explained ideas: 1. I tried the podcasts and didn't like them because I wasn't a huge fan of the music. I like to hear the sounds on the rec trail, my friends saying hi as I run past their houses, or people/cars coming up behind me. 2. Idea #1 was to write the sequence on the back of my hand with an ink pen. I used my good ol' Timex watch with a lap timer to keep track of each portion. It's so easy to use (no programming, etc). Plus, I think it's cool since I've had it since 7th grade! This worked perfect for me, but I thought it was a little goofy to write on my hand. 3. Idea #2 was to write the sequence on a small piece of fabric and safety pin it to my watch, sleeve, or bottom of my shirt. This one is working really well! Plus, instead of spending the time to write it on my hand before my run, I just grab the fabric piece with the sequence/week/day I want to use.

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen