Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

It's so quiet in here! (Read 196 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

So we'll see what happens when I flip on the lights and see who's home ... are you all going to jump out and yell "Surprise"?

Anyway, I'm a RWOL refugee, you may have seen a lot of us stampeding around.  I'm not exactly a new runner, I've been running for I don't know, six years now?  Seven?  A while, anyway.  But I got hit with a fierce case of runner's knee leading up to Peachtree Road Race this past July, and the race itself was mind-boggling painful.  And yes, I was stupid enough to finish it anyway, because I wanted the t-shirt.  So then I quit running for a while and just sort of hoped the rest would fix things.  It didn't, and I finally sucked it up and went to a doctor near the end of October, which is where I got my official diagnosis, a bottle of prescription-strength anti-inflammatories, a directive to ice daily, and advice to swim now and come back slowly when I was ready to come back.

I swallowed my last pill this morning (though I can get a refill if needed), and I'm about ready to re-start.  I figure I will come back with C25k, since I haven't run more than about 0.75 miles since early July, I'm probably nearly at square 1.  My date to re-start is Monday Dec 3rd, along with DH (who kindly quit running when I did  Roll eyes  ) and our dog, Dusty.  I'm a little nervous, because my knee is still twingy, and I'm going to be really annoyed if I'm in pain ... so I guess we'll see!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

I feel like shouting, just so I can hear the echo.

WEEK ONE, DAY ONE, COMING ON MONDAY!!  MONDAY Monday monday ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Bouncy Butt

Runner's legs I have not

Hi, HopesMom!

I am totally new to running as of this week and I've posted on two other groups, but was poking around and saw this one, which kinda made me go "D'oh!" since the C25k is what I started doing as of this past Monday. I haven't ran since school and am really, really REALLY outta shape, but I have always loved the sport. Tomorrow will be my third and final run of the week --- almost silly to call it a "run" since I'm probably trotting along slower than most people walk, and only for two minutes at a time, but hey! I get bonus points for still being alive, right? 

I'm curious what exactly "runner's knee" is... just a severe strain? Pulled tendon? When you went to the doc, did you get it x-rayed? MRI'd? 

Like the echo, btw... I know what ya mean :-\

Singer who runs a smidge

Bouncy, I LOVE your forum name!  Don't worry about being slow, absolutely the important thing right now is just getting out there and putting one foot in front of the other.

As for runner's knee, basically it arises from an imbalance between your hamstring strength and your quad strength.  If your quad muscles aren't strong enough, then it's easy for your patella to get pulled slightly off track, and that sets up inflammation.  Runner's knee is sort of a diagnosis of omission -- there are tests your doc can do to see if it's something like an MCL or ACL issue.  They put your leg in certain positions and push or pull on it and see if you scream.  I had no pain at all with those.  I did have x-rays done, and my doc said there were "arthritic changes" along my kneecap, but as I'm 40 he wasn't surprised, and he didn't think they were the cause of my problem.  So the plan was to take some time off, do things to calm down the inflammation, do things to strengthen the quads, and then restart running slowly.  I've been diligent on taking my meds and icing my knee, and I've been swimming in the meantime, but I've been a bit of a slacker on the exercises -- I need to get back on that horse as I also get back with running. 

So you'll be a week ahead of me, at least for now -- I'll probably repeat a week around Christmas, since the holidays and traveling will mess with my schedule.

Woo-hoo!!

Bouncy Butt

Runner's legs I have not

It was either Bouncy Butt or Captain Obvious... I'm still torn about my choice. =)

Good info on the knee - no doubt I will have my share of owies and running-induced conditions. For me it really is a double-edged sword scenario: I am unemployed - so no insurance - so I'd better stay/get healthy - so I don't need to go to doctor for things I can prevent.......BUT (and this is a big but!!!) taking up any activity brings the risk of injury - which may or may not require a doctor's care - which may or may not ----- well, you get the idea. My common sense tells me it's better to take the risk and be a moving target rather than be a sitting duck for disease.

Today will be my third and final run of the week and as I type this, I can hear it's raining pretty good out there. It makes me think of investing in a neoprene hoodie like my buddy in Alaska has; he works construction and loves his. He layers to adjust for outside temps and says it keeps him super dry. I certainly can't use "it's raining" as an excuse to not run. I live in Western Washington, for cryin out loud!

Remember to do your exercises today! I'm looking forward to hearing how your first run goes!

Pretty sad that I'm the only one that didn't go skittering when you flicked the lights on... I guess they're hiding under the couch, eh?Wink

Singer who runs a smidge

Oy, I lived for six years in Athens, GA, and the mental image that came with "skittering" was just awful!!  I am terrified of anything with more than 4 legs.

Yeah, I think if you live in Western WA, you will have to learn to run in the rain.  I've run in drizzle, not bad with a baseball cap and a jacket.  I'm too big a wuss to run in a downpour, though.

And on the small world front, I also lived for 2 years in Eastern WA, in the Tri-cities.  I married myself a Prosser boy, and his brother, sister-in-law, and nephew live in Auburn.  We've spent many happy vacations around Seattle.

As for injury, exercise in general tends to have a pretty high injury rate, but at least running is way cheaper than a gym membership or something like that.  And exercise does so many good things for your health, it's definitely better than sitting on the couch!  This is only the second time I've had to see a doc for a running injury in my six years, though, so mostly if you just listen to your body, you'll be ok.  My first injury was a stress fracture in my foot brought on by suddenly tripling my mileage.  Not smart.  Then this knee issue probably would've been a non-issue if I'd taken time off when it started bothering me, but I pressed through it and then tried to run a race on it.  So not being an idiot will certainly help keep you uninjured!

Bouncy Butt

Runner's legs I have not

Holy Schnikees! We were practically neighbors (well, your peeps, anyways)! Auburn is about 20 minutes from where I own a house. 

You have a great point about running being free (less the cost of shoes and other miscellany) vs. a gym membership. I hate the gym. Never been comfy in that environment. The last one I went to had the cardio machines upstairs -- to get there, you had to walk through/past all of the bodybuilders. It was horrid. More than one snide remark was uttered as I walked by. I daydreamed about knocking teeth down throats. 

Two injuries in six years? That's pretty dang good! I hope I am successful at listening and hearing what my body is griping about and be able to discern what is a normal discomfort and what is an injury in the works. I have severe chronic pain I've lived with for so dang long it's hard to tell anymore - I put it all on ignore.

Today felt great during and after my "run"; I invited a friend over and she went with me and the time just flew by. We got totally soaked but neither of us minded. I am super proud that I didn't give up at all and actually enjoyed the three days of training. When I told my kid (she's 25) earlier this week what I was doing, I could've knocked her over with a feather. She was extremely surprised (and that takes some doing) and her initial remark was "well, you want to be able to chase the grandkid, right?" (she's expecting, due in March, first kid) 

Tomorrow will be my only day of no walking or running at all, then Sunday I'll plan on walking farther than I had been all week, maybe another 1/2 mile, then Monday will be Week 2! 

I snooped around for local races I could run in the spring and haven't settled on one yet, but I think I will register and commit to one. 

Singer who runs a smidge

Congrats on your incoming grandkid!!  DH and I don't have kids and don't plan to, but I know my folks thoroughly enjoy my sisters two boys.  And woo-hoo for you getting your run on!!  DH and I did our W1D1 yesterday, and it was fairly successful.  My knee twinged at me just a little in the last couple of run segments, but since I knew it wasn't a major problem, I ignored it.  I did ice right after my run, which I think helped, so that's all good.  W1D2 happens tonight, and then we're off until Friday.  I have choir practice tomorrow night and then chorus rehearsal on Thursday -- I sing with my church, and I'm also a Sweet Adeline.

I forgot that running in December means looking at Christmas lights -- bonus!!

Singer who runs a smidge

W1D2 is done!  I had to pull out the headlamp and reflective vests last night, as we didn't get out until 7, which is fairly normal for running after work.  Now I'm off running until Friday, as I have choir practice tonight and chorus rehearsal tomorrow.   It's been really nice having warm weather and Christmas lights to run with, though I know I can't expect either of those trends to continue indefinitely.

Bouncy Butt

Runner's legs I have not

Whoooot! Way to go! How are you feeling now that you have D2 under your belt on successive days? You're lucky to have lights to look at on your runs - "bonus" is a good word! Since I'm a morning runner (still chuckling at that term), my bonus is spotting deer. Last Friday, three beautiful does went scampering across the road and into someone's yard. The shot I got was obscured by bushes and trees; next time I'll be quicker on the camera. 

Monday was my W2D1, and no walk yesterday but I did order some Hoka One One's from Zappos and kicked about in them yesterday, and since I've had so many problems with my feet I tend to remain skeptical.  Today was my W2D2. I am still on the fence about the new shoes, but they are pretty bitchin in the looks department. Plus they're squishy - something that tends to go over well with me.  I am hoping they'll treat me better than the Asics I've been wearing. One weird little quirk is that somehow I get small bits of gravel in my shoes and it's a little more than annoying. Totally reminds me of the scene in Ever After when she asks her stepmother "Was there ever a time when you loved me?" and the stepmother replies "How can one love a pebble in one's shoe?" Since I tend to lace my shoes up fairly snugly, I can't imagine how it's getting in, but even after I get the rocks out of my shoes I still can't get Drew Barrymore and Angelica Houston out of my head... 

So I survived today! I had a few more aches and pains (not sure if it's the shoes or just general protesting by a very out of shape body) but the weather was stupendously fantastic and I am happy to have been out in it. Whether I'm waddling or trotting, it matters not. At least I'm able to continue my training. Honestly, I've gotten farther than I ever thought I would -- hell, I've just completed my 5th attempt at running! 

I was recently talking with someone that mentioned joining the Sweet Adelines; how long have you been one? Now that you have two runs in, back to back, how's your knee holding up?

theyapper

On the road again...

Thought I'd poke in here and say hey!

Good job, HopesMom, on knocking out the first couple of runs.

Bouncy - have we got you added to the graphs?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Singer who runs a smidge

Bouncy, I have no idea how the rocks are getting in your shoes!  I run in VFF's, so while I sometimes get rocks stuck between my toes, they don't get in my shoes.  I've done a couple of runs in huaraches, though, and I do get rocks in those on occasion.  Let me know how you end up liking the Hokas, they're pretty much the antithesis of any shoe I'd wear!  I've heard from some folks who like them, but I've also heard from some folks who had problems with them --achilles aches and so on.  Your aches may be more due to just being new at this.

My knee has been a little achy, but no sharp pains or major tightness like there was before, so I'm counting it all good.  Woo-hoo!

As for Sweet Adelines, it will have been 9 years come New Year's.  Wow, I can't believe it's been that long!  I love singing with them, it's such a blast when it's right!  I actually had the chance once to rehearse with Pacific Sound, out your way.  At the time they were directed by Carole Kirkpatrick and they were often winners of their region and represented well at International.  It was my first time singing with a really large, really good chorus, and it was AWESOME!!

yapper, howdy!!  Do you know if anyone else is still actively doing c25k, or is it just me and bouncy?

Bouncy Butt

Runner's legs I have not

Thought I'd poke in here and say hey!

Good job, HopesMom, on knocking out the first couple of runs.

Bouncy - have we got you added to the graphs?

Hey, Yapper - 

I think I added myself earlier today and it said it might not show up for 5 or 10 minutes, so I went on my merry way and now tonight I'm poking around in the forum topics and I can't seem to find where the silly graphs actually reside.... 0.o

If you could just point and whistle, that'd be great! Smile Thanks!

Bouncy Butt

Runner's legs I have not

Ok, I actually own two pairs of VFF - one pair of which fit better than the other. One pair cinches behind the heel with a drawstring and the other has a strap across the top like a Mary Jane. I love them both, but at the weight I am right now, I am not sure my feet would survive. I think I will try them out again in a few weeks. You're right - the squishy soles do tend to go against everything Vibram is preaching about the barefoot running philosophy and I hope to be able to have success with them when I've dropped some weight (they're fairly tight and one pair tends to hurt my little toe). 

I grew up running around barefoot all over the place and rarely had shoes on in the summer and I remember loving it. The only thing I didn't like was stepping on a slug. Ew.

Great news on the knee holding up! Mine don't like me much today but I'm pretty sure it's just regular adjustments to the new routine. I am liking the energy boost I'm getting - something I've not experienced much in the past. My claim to fame has been yawning while doing aerobic exercises and then taking a three-hour nap afterwards. Not happening this time around and not sure why, but I'll take it!

I know there's some lurkers out there, so please intro yourselves and join in! 

theyapper

On the road again...

Hey, Yapper - 

I think I added myself earlier today and it said it might not show up for 5 or 10 minutes, so I went on my merry way and now tonight I'm poking around in the forum topics and I can't seem to find where the silly graphs actually reside.... 0.o

If you could just point and whistle, that'd be great! Smile Thanks!

I added you to the graphs.  The place to update your progress each week is here:

https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?authkey=CJDvl8cD&authkey=CJDvl8cD&hl=en&hl=en&formkey=dDNjSjZ0cTNXVWFQeDFTTmRzeWNxcmc6MA#gid=5

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul