Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

wiifit anybody? (Read 301 times)

My wife just picked up wiifit last night and she seems excited about the program. She'll probably start using it tomorrow. Anybody else use(d) it and care to share your experiences? Smile I know at least one person (welcome to the group Michelle!) has.

The young Mama Bear!

WiiFit is wonderful, and it's truly adorable. It's not a legit workout, but it gets you in the mindset to be healthy and aware of your body/posture. And the scale is pree-ty accurate. Even on carpet! Cool
      Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
      Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
      MichelleD

Some of the portions are more 'legit' than others. Some of the aerobic activities really get my heart going...especially when I do them 30-45 minutes at a time. I really like the yoga sections and 'strength' training portions. Obviously, there are better workouts out there, but I am certainly motivated by the interactive portion and the way it tracks. But...that's just me.
        Wingz

Professional Noob

I've not seen one yet, but I'd have to say that anything that gets the blood pumping for a decent amount of time and uses large muscle groups in a rhythmic fashion is by definition an aerobic workout. I'm guessing you mean it's not a "legit" workout because you think it's too easy? I'd also guess that for some people that would be true, and for others it'd be just the opposite. I'm in the "anything that gets you to move is good" camp. Tongue Who knows... there may even be a few people who, after using wiifit for a while, decide that they actually like the way exercise makes them feel... and that it's not so scary... and they might go on to do other forms as well... maybe even running! Big grin Who knows? Wink

Roads were made for journeys...

The young Mama Bear!

I didn't mean "not legit" as in "this workout sucks". I wouldn't necessarily substitute it for running, or rowing, or cycling...but in a pinch it'll do. It's really fun and I've def. worked up a sweat before, but nothing beats getting outside (or inside, if you're a gym rat) and whatnot. I'm a big fan of the WiiFit, and it's great fun. I have fallen to the floor laughing at my family playing it...especially my stepdad trying to hulahoop! Tongue
            Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
            Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
            erendis

Who knows... there may even be a few people who, after using wiifit for a while, decide that they actually like the way exercise makes them feel... and that it's not so scary... and they might go on to do other forms as well... maybe even running! Big grin Who knows? Wink
              I smell a new ad campaign: "WiiFit- the gateway drug to C25K"
              I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
                Hmmm. Not looking good. The box is still unopened. Maybe I should leave a trail of, well, tail mix to lead an unsuspecting and unwary wife to the game. Or I may have to set up it tonight and challenge the kids or something. At least it was cheap, right? Dang. Sad

The young Mama Bear!

Hmmm. Not looking good. The box is still unopened. Maybe I should leave a trail of, well, tail mix to lead an unsuspecting and unwary wife to the game. Or I may have to set up it tonight and challenge the kids or something. At least it was cheap, right? Dang. Sad
                  Believe me, if you gather up your family and set it up you will all have a blast. I promise!
                    Well, everybody in the family got a Mii set up. The kids laughed out loud after the game calculated my BMI and made my Mii fatter. Shocked Hula hoop was a blast. I think I should get some kind of award for most hoops bounced off my head. Smile Can't wait to explore it a bit more. My wife didn't seem quite so thrilled. Well see.
                    theyapper

On the road again...

The kids laughed out loud after the game calculated my BMI and made my Mii fatter. Shocked
                      Worth every penny, right? Big grin

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

The young Mama Bear!

Well, everybody in the family got a Mii set up. The kids laughed out loud after the game calculated my BMI and made my Mii fatter. Shocked Hula hoop was a blast. I think I should get some kind of award for most hoops bounced off my head. Smile Can't wait to explore it a bit more. My wife didn't seem quite so thrilled. Well see.
                        You know what? It was worth it already, even if your wife didn't seem to enjoy it. You got your kids together and seemed to have lots of fun! I don't know about your wife, but I know I enjoyed the yoga portions of WiiFit. Once you unlock more of the poses, I think she'll like it. The "Dancer" pose is not only hilarious but good for you! She might be all up in a bunch because women generally don't like talking about their weight in a frank manner like that. And there's a few more mini-games I think she'll like once you unlock them. Just ask her if she wants to play later on...I bet she'll grow to like it. Smile
                          Worth every penny, right? Big grin
                          I usually don't have too much trouble finding humor in the dorky things I do and apparently neither does anyone else at my house. On the plus side I'm finding this yoga thing has caught my attention. I am ChupChup the warrior! I might have to get some costumes.

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

I want a WiiFit. I tried it out in the store during a demo for women but we haven't gotten one ourselves. Can't afford it right now, but as soon as we can it's on our list of things we want!
                            -Jen
                            2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
                              Here's a bit of a review. I've probably played it for about 1.5 hours total over several days. First the cons. From a game perspective it's missing a player vs player mode so that you can keep the action going. You could work around this by creating a group Mii and just take turns using it, but why should we have to? Navigation is fairly slow too. It lacks a set of pre defined (or even random) circuits or routines that can be selected to work a specific muscule groups (like core, upper-body, or lower-body) for a user selected duration. It would have even been nice if it allowed me to record my own routine, but that's missing too. Wii Fit also has several pros. All the charm of the Wii Sport is here and it's fun to play. I love meeting random Mii characters we have created along the way. You can experiment in relative privacy and lots of encouragement and praise is given along the way. I found the unlocking feature addicting. The weight scale is accurate or at least reasonably so. All in all it's a great way to raise your fitness consiousness but it won't replace a trainer (if you want that kind of tailoring) and could be quickly outgrown. I wonder if I'll like it as much after say 50 hours of play. That said, it probably could be a great gateway to other fitness programs. From a family perspective it was worth the money, but if it were just myself I might have wanted to spend it on my next pair of shoes. Your mileage may vary.