Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

C25K and first race (Read 362 times)

tlkiser

Hi - I'm new to this forum and new to running! I just stared the C25K program - today was W1D2 for me. I've noticed that many of you have said that the program took longer than 9 weeks for you. So, here's my question.....a friend of mine (an avid runner who just finished a mini marathon) is encouraging me to register for a local 5K on June 27. That's only 8 weeks from now....so if I didn't repeat any weeks I'd be 1 week from completing it on race day. Is it a good idea to target a race so soon? After only 2 days of running I really don't have any idea where the tough spots in the program will be for me. Or, is it ok to enter the race with a "just go do it and have fun attitude" realizing that I may have to combine walking and running and will likely finish somewhere near the very back of the pack. Thoughts??

Baby bean!

First off, congrats on starting!!! Yay! I certainly can't say considering I don't know your fitness level or health or anything, but provided you can walk 30 minutes, I don't see why not. Lots of people enter a race before the end of C25K and some run it all, others combine running and walking.

Goals:
      Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Running with a friend and/or having a goal race with a friend is a super motivator and it sounds like you want to do it. So yes, go sign up for the race. Know you might be walking some of it, and know that if you don't you might be very sore after it, but do it anyway and have fun! By the way, what's wrong with finishing near the very back? I do that on a regular basis! Tongue

Roads were made for journeys...

tlkiser

Nothing wrong with finishing at the back...jI'll probably always finish at the back. Just wanted to be sure everybody knew I wasn't trying to set any records. Smile

You Are Beautiful.

Doing the race might be a good way to gauge how the program is working for you. You might find out you should add some running on hills to your practice (found that out the hard way! Smile ) Just because you enter a race doesn't mean you have to go out with a do-or-die attitude. I'm doing my first 5k at the end of the month and I'm only starting week 7 this week. So it's gonna be close for me too. I'll be interested to see how I feel, how much I can run of it. I figured with all the adrenaline, I might be able to run faster or longer than I do in practice and finish if I'm close to being done with c25k. Like, if I get to running 27 minutes (2.7 mi), I might be able to run the last 1/2 mile on adrenaline. You know? It'll be interesting to see what happens.

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
            Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go.