Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread July 21 - 27 (Read 540 times)

W2D1 Done yesterday. My 10 year old sister came with us. She didn't like it very much. My mom was so tired and it was really hard for her. It's frustrating Tongue. I ran faster than her today because my sister was there so I wouldn't be leaving her behind alone. Of course I did week one twice so... ahhhhh! p.s. I don't know how you guys get up so early. Maybe it's because I'm a teenager but I can't get before 11. I sually get up 12-1 pm. Sleepy Of course some of you guys have to work and I'm on summer vacation.
    Goals: Run.
    theyapper

On the road again...

p.s. I don't know how you guys get up so early. Maybe it's because I'm a teenager but I can't get before 11.
      I've always been a pretty early riser, but when we had children, that sealed it. Big grin Good job on the run with your sister. My sons are 10 years old and they did a couple of the early C25K runs with me, too.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

W2D1 of C25K accomplished.
        p.s. I don't know how you guys get up so early. Maybe it's because I'm a teenager but I can't get before 11. I sually get up 12-1 pm. Sleepy Of course some of you guys have to work and I'm on summer vacation.
        I have a 14 year old daughter and while she can and does get up at 6:00 several days a week (volleyball and strength training), she would also prefer to sleep in until noon. I suspect that the cave-teenagers did too. Smile
          p.s. I don't know how you guys get up so early. Maybe it's because I'm a teenager but I can't get before 11. I sually get up 12-1 pm. Sleepy Of course some of you guys have to work and I'm on summer vacation.
          Ah, I remember those days (for me it wasn't til I hit college, in HS my parents made me get my arse out of bed in the morning). I can still remember my dad calling me at noon or 1 and waking me up and being just baffled that I could possibly be sleeping that late. Course, I was also staying up really late and now I struggle to stay up until 11 Smile
          2009 Goals:
          PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
          Run a 10K
          Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
          Complete my first Sprint Tri
          MoonStar

What is YogaToes? OHR w2d1 done. Tried to think about not picking my big toe up today - I found that I really am doing this. Darn. I'ld rather have defective shoes. Seems to be maybe I need to lift my knee higher when I am running and flex more at the ankle? Very hard to change the way I run. I'm trying to decide whether or not I need to change it or not. Maybe this was contributing to the shin splints I was having trouble with a few months ago. Oliviars22 - what time are you going to sleep? Bet that has something to do with it too. I usually try to go down between 10:30 and 11 and wake up on my own between 6:30 and 7. It also takes awhile to adjust to any new sleep pattern. Alarms help until you figure out what time you need to go to bed to wake up on your own at a certain time.
            jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

yapper - great job on your run. I didn't realize you were so far along in OHR. omccabe - welcome! You'll be amazed at how ready you are for 20 minutes. ernsberger - welcome! You are ahead of me - I didn't start running until I was 50! runswithdogs - you are doing great! If you've already done 41 minutes - it's only 4 more minutes. You should be fine! goddess - great job getting out there in the heat/humidity. oliviars - I think it's great that you are doing this with your mom. I'm jealous of your ability to sleep until 11. I did that when I was your age. This morning I woke up without an alarm at 4:45 a.m. Ugh! So, next week is our big bike trip, so I'm in the final week of training. We did a ride on Sunday with a group - the 64 mile route was actually a bit over 66. Yesterday I did an easy 12, and I was up early this morning, so I took a tough spinning class. The rest of this week I will just do some easier rides. I hope to get back to some running when the trip is over. Right now, I don't have the energy to bike and run!
                Yesterday's run was W8D1 of Cto5k. The end is in sight!! I tried to pre-measure my run via the trail mapping, but for this week's distance, there isn't a good landmark to mark the turn-around point. I think I may have run a bit farther just to be sure that I covered the distance. For those of you just starting out - you're all doing so well! From where I am, I am so appreciative of this program and the way it works! It's hard to believe that I started this at the end of May - and now, less than two months later, I'm running almost three miles, three times a week. And it's all come together so naturally. I'm really starting to see myself as a runner again. A real runner! It's a great feeling. Looking forward to seeing the rest of this weeks reports!
                ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
                  Thanks for all of your encouraging words of wisdom! I am currently going to a gym/weight center for my weight loss. I have had a bad last 2 weeks. I haven't been journaling what I eat and I don't feel in control of my eating. That said, when I went to get weighed in this morning, I lost 2 pounds since last Tuesday and had lost 4 pounds the previous week. I've lost 25 of the 60 I need to lose, so, I guess I'm doing something right. I just need to be journaling and feel control Roll eyes It's amazing what running does for your body Surprised Tonight is W7D1. When I ran W6D3, I ran outside on lots of hills. Tonight I'm either going to run outside on flat land or run on the treadmill at the gym. Nice thing about outside, my 16 year old daughter runs with me, which is nice for talking and.... misery loves company Big grin So, I hope you all have a great Tuesday and great runs!
                  Goals: Finish C25K Run 5K and not die (8/16/08) Run 5K in less than 30 minutes Run 10K Weigh 150 lbs.
                    Today's forecast is for 100 actual temp (not w/ heat index), and it was already in the upper 80's when I dropped off the little one at day camp this morning...so a nice little run on the treadmill for me today. I've signed up for a beginning women's running program that the local running club offers. It starts later this week, and should be able to dovetail the last weeks of c25k with the workouts for the program (I hope). ernsberger, you just said something that made a light bulb go on for me... When I read that you had lost 25 of your 60 pounds to lose, I thought "good for her! She is almost 1/2 way there!" And then realized that I am about 1/4 of the way to my goal. Something about looking at the big picture (1/2 or 1/4 way) is more encouraging at this point than 1 or 2 lbs. I feel as though I've accomplished more. So, thanks and congratulations!
                      polepole, keep up the good work. Losing weight has always been an ongoing problem for me. The running definitely takes care of the inches. Yes, looking at the big picture helps me too, however, sometimes I have to go back to the small increments. Thinking about losing 35 pounds sounds depressing. Thinking about already losing 25 sounds wonderful Wink I had the most exciting thing happen last week. I like to shop at Christopher & Banks. Except I used to have to shop across the mall at CJ Banks for the plus sizes. Well, last week, for the first time, I shopped ONLY at Christopher & Banks! I was so excited. Little things like that keep me going! Weight loss is definitely a journey, and not a sprint, but it does feel good when you think the finish line is somewhere in sight Cool Summer time helps with weight loss because you can cookout and because of all the wonderful fresh fruit! So....run the course....and keep your eye on the prize!
                      Goals: Finish C25K Run 5K and not die (8/16/08) Run 5K in less than 30 minutes Run 10K Weigh 150 lbs.

Tortoise

OUCH! W4D3 is done. I headed out the door a little late tonight, got through my five minute warm up walk, and then started running. I felt really good. I did the first three minute run, walked for a minute and a half, started the five minute run, got about 30-40 seconds into it... and stuck my foot into an uncovered drainhole and went down like a bag of hammers on the pavement, right in front of all the people outside the pub and God and everyone. I kept going. I only stopped long enough to pick myself up and assure the people who'd come to help me that I was alive and OK, and I added an extra 15 seconds on at the end, and I think I've gone a little faster from trying to ignore the pain coming from the scrapes. It's only now that I'm home that I've had a chance to inspect the damage. I've scraped all the skin off the outer side of my right little finger, there's a small raw patch on my right shoulder (which was covered!) and my knee (which was also covered!) is bloody. I really, really need a shower, but I know it's going to sting like a sonofabitch when I get under the water. So, yeah. It hurts. But I'm really kind of proud of myself for getting back on my feet and HTFU and finishing.
                        "It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit."

theyapper

On the road again...

sefkhet - what some call a scrape, we call proof that nothing can stop a runner! Good job on finishing the run and hope you heal quickly.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

What is YogaToes?
                            Yogatoes or Healthytoes are foot exerciser thingies. I use them in the tub after a run and swear by them. My achilles tendon is ten times better and my toes don't squish together like they used to. Bad toes run in my family so I'm kinda neurotic about taking care of my feet. A lot of the dancers at my daughters ballet studio use them too.
                            You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here

Tortoise

what some call a scrape, we call proof that nothing can stop a runner!
                              The only thing that for one heart-stopping second I thought was going to stop me was that I was turning a corner and so the angle I fell at, I actually thought I'd broken my glasses.
                              "It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit."

I kept going.
                                Big grin Real runners have stories like this to tell! Of falling down and getting right back up. Those scratches and bumps are little badges that represent your hard work and commitment to your new sport! Cool! Cool
                                ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer