Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Question about OHR (Read 278 times)

As I am approaching the end of C25K (I'm starting W8 tomorrow)... how many of you continued on to OHR after graduating from C25K? I guess I have just thought to myself.... "Get through C25K and run a 5K".... I haven't thought beyond that. Is OHR just the "next step"?
    Goals: Finish C25K Run 5K and not die (8/16/08) Run 5K in less than 30 minutes Run 10K Weigh 150 lbs.
      I was considering the OHR program, but after I switched over to running distance for my last three weeks of Cto5k, my time out on my runs has increased considerably. I did a three mile trail run yesterday(which felt great), but was almost 50 minutes long. Heh. I'm almost a OHR already! Somewhere around these boards, I found this link: Run Injury Free - Intermediate And it looks like it's going to work for me. I'm going to probably tweak it a bit because I'm considering doing this with a Low Heart Rate approach to the plan as a whole. However, we are all at different places at the end of Week Nine. I had done some running earlier in the spring and I think that helped me a bit as I progressed through Cto5k. I'm running a 5k in September, but my primary goal is to build a solid base for next year. And to not get injured.
      ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I finished C25K around the end of the first week of July. I haven't started OHR yet, but have been considering it. Since the end of C25K, I've been doing runs of various length time wise -- 28 minutes, 34 minutes, 30 minutes, 32 minutes.... 38 minutes was my most recent one. My length of run distance wise is improving as is my pace. I'm running a 5K next weekend and another one at the end of September. My DH will finish playing ball this week which will make it a bit easier for me run-wise; we have two kids (16 months and 4 years) so there's a bit more planning when I can go. (Today, he'll get home at 5, I'll go running for 30 minutes, we'll eat and be out the door at six for his ball game.) I'm thinking I might start a structured training plan after my 5K August 9. Next spring I'd like to try a 10K, but I'm not sure how training over the winter will go because I'm in a place that hit -40* in the winter and I like to run outdoors.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

meewolfie: thanks for wealth of info! I looked at the website for the intermediate runner. Loads of info Big grin Meg: That is kinda what I thought I would do. Just increase a couple of minutes here and there until I get comfortable running. I do alot of running on the treadmill, so that will not be a problem during the winter. I'm on a weight loss plan so I don't want to lessen anything I do once I graduate!!! Running definitely burns the inches away Smile Thanks for the words of advice!
          Goals: Finish C25K Run 5K and not die (8/16/08) Run 5K in less than 30 minutes Run 10K Weigh 150 lbs.
          theyapper

On the road again...

I think that meewolfie made a great point about the distance vs. time. OHR is all about the time. I went right into it after completing C25K and I've been very pleased. I thought that I would be bored at first because the first 3 weeks are simply 3 days of 30 minute runs and I was ready to run longer. But I found those weeks to almost be like recovery weeks for me and in the end it really helped me build more of a base. I also felt that I needed some structure. I wasn't sure that I was ready to "wing" the times and distances. I'm still not sure, but at least now I feel like I know what I'm doing a bit more. Either way you go, the imp thing is to go! BTW: that program meewolfie linked to looks good. I think I'll use it to prepare my training after the OHR. If I do, I'll share it with everyone here.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

running buddies

I started the C25K in April, with the goal of getting up to running one hour at a time. I was pleasantly surprised to find the OHR plan on the C25K group page, since I wasn't sure how I was going to do it. I don't have tons of flexibility in my life for exercising, and I wanted to be able to get in a good work-out on my own terms, which is why I thought I'd see if I could work up to one hour at a time. This website has been immensely helpful in keeping me going, especially because I'm sure I would have tried to go faster and would have hated it as I've done every other time I've tried to become a runner. Instead, I'm just focusing on time, ignoring distance and pace. I hope I can eventually, slowly, get to the point that I'm running one hour at a time at least 3 times a week, with maybe a shorter run or two thrown in there on busier days. I don't really see myself working up to a marathon in the near future - I just don't have chunks of time bigger than an hour at a time right now in my life. I did a sprint triathlon last summer, and it was just way too hard to get all those activities in, especially since the running was horrible (too fast). If I can get the running to be easier, then I think I may try to add in the swimming and biking long enough to do the same sprint next summer. I hope by running consistently, slowly, my pace will eventually improve. But I'm happy with how it's going so far. Yesterday, I actually thought "oh good, I get to run tomorrow". That is the FIRST TIME EVER that I have had that thought. It's a major breakthrough for me. Smile
              "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
              CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Yesterday, I actually thought "oh good, I get to run tomorrow". That is the FIRST TIME EVER that I have had that thought. It's a major breakthrough for me. Smile
                If you hadn't been thinking of yourself as a runner, you should be now. This is the good stuff! Cool

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

erendis

it's good to plan ahead for "What comes after"- that was definitely the mistake i made last time i got into running. i finished the 4 week plan (it was that self magazine one month thing) and then petered out. this time i've already signed up for my first 5k at the end of september so i can't just slack once the 9th week is done. that intermediate plan looks cool- i was also thinking of doing the podrunner intervals "gateway to 8k" and then "freeway to 10k"http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html since i've really enjoyed the interval training and using podcasts to keep track of time rather than being glued to my watch.
                  I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso