Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

New Year check in (Read 316 times)

obiebyke

Hi all, I just joined the group. I have been running for a few months but have hit a bit of a wall in how to increase time and distance, so I'm going to see how this C25K thing goes for me. I noticed that there isn't much going on on the board, so thought I'd get 2008 started with a check in. Depending on response, I'd be down to start a thread for everyone regularly. Me: I got stalled doing 3 minute run/1 minute brisk walk for 20 minutes, then a longer weekend run of 1 mile without stopping. I think a lot of the problem was lack of consistency, and I like the regimented schedule the C25K program offers. And it fits right in with my January goal of running 3x/wk. So I've decided to start with Week 3, Workout 1. I'll check in later today when I've completed it. My race goal: a March 23rd 5K. Very doable, I think/hope.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, obiebyke! Sounds like you've come to the right place then! Glad to have ya and looking forward to hearing from you! Perhaps we can stir things up a bit in this group... Evil grin

Roads were made for journeys...

obiebyke

Hey, Wingz. Even though you seem swell, hopefully it won't always be just the two of us, eh? Tongue Just got back from my Week 3, Workout 1. I'm not used to doing a warmup and cooldown, and it was a lot more recovery and a lot less running than I've been used to, but I think it's a promising start. Maybe I was doing it all wrong before! I just have to give myself a break and not worry about the pace difference, since now I'm counting more walking in my pacing calcs. Anyone else? Bueller?

Wingz

Professional Noob

Definitely, give yourself a break while you're getting your running-self back together. Pace isn't really that important on the C25K program, anyway. It goes by time, remember? Tongue Taking a warm-up and cool-down's a good habit to get in to. As the program progresses, though, you'll find that the amount of "running" vs the designated w/u and c/d time increases... and you may eventually want to add in your own walking warm-up and cool-down. Something good I'm hearing you say is that you're able to do what's being asked for on the program. It should NOT feel very difficult at this stage. Challenging from time to time, but if you are feeling like it's difficult or something you're not ready for, there's nothing wrong with repeating the week. It took me about 20 weeks to get up to running for 30 minutes...

Roads were made for journeys...

tech geek

I was stuck at the 3 minute mark for a long time. I have not ran for a while finals/holidays etc.. I am starting back on the c25k today. good luck to you.
            obiebyke

Just did W3W2, this one on the treadmill i/o dirt track. Felt harder, maybe because my pace sped up quite a bit , even though I was using my standard treadmill settings. I'm still a bit bummed about losing my pace, but psyched that the miles are adding up more quickly. When the miles are done so slowly, I feel a little like I'm cheating by logging them, but I know better. I know every mile counts and that, no matter what my pace, I'm probably more in shape than Ive ever been in my life! Yes The summary: 1.98 miles in 26 minutes even. Smile

My running partner!

I'm on week 9 of c2k. It took 4 tries, but I finally was able to run 30 minutes without stopping. I run slow- a 12:45 mile, but that's a big improvement from 10 weeks ago. My goal right now is to run the 8k shamrock shuffle in Chicago in march.
                Kat
                obiebyke

That's awesome, justdidit. Nice work. So you're going to keep building endurance for the 8k, huh? I'd be curious to know how you do that. I've been wondering how one continues on from 5k training to bigger and better distances. I'm sure there're threads about it, but I'm not going to look for them until I'm done with my 5k training. Today I did W3W3. I usually run after work, but this time ran pretty much first thing. It sucked! I think it might've been because I'm less hydrated first thing in the day or something. My legs clutched up right away. I could NOT get my calves and shins to relax, so it hurt, but I pushed through. 1.97 miles in 26 minutes. Next week, week 4, is going to be a challenge, for sure.

My running partner!

way to keep going. I know how tough the shin pain can be. I'm going to follow hal higdon's training.
                    Kat
                      I don't know exactly when I started over with the C25K, but I did it because I stalled with another program at the 2 mile run. I just couldn't run farther no matter what pace I tried... Anyway, I repeat any workout that I can't finish or that is very difficult until it is just a bit of a push. I'm now in week 7, doing 25 minute runs. My pace is turtle slow, but I try not to dwell on that. I've been a bit inconsistent lately, too, simply because my life is nuts. I home school my kids, lead a Girl Scout troop, and run my kiddies to lots of things like Boy Scouts, Youth Group, and classes/groups through our home school support group and still have to be a wife, maid, cook and blah blah blah! Trying to make me, my diet and my running a priority is a constant battle. As long as I don't quit entirely, I try not to give up mentally Big grin So what if take 20 weeks to finish a 9 week program? I'm doing it, and that's more than I could've said a few years ago! I've lost about 35 pounds in the last year and a half, so I'm getting there Smile Gonna run today or, or, or loose my mind!
                      Life is Good :D http://ttjk.wordpress.com Couch to 5K support group // Back of The Packers group