Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Week of 6/19-6/25 (Read 368 times)

W5D1 complete.  The humidity got to me on my last 5 minute run and my pace slowed down.  It looked like it was going to storm any minute.

Started c25k on 5/30/11

Loves the outdoors

Congratulations ChupChup! It's a great achievement to finish C25K. What are your plans going forward for your running?

DigitalFirefly - Well done for making it to week 5. I found this week the hardest of them all, but once you've done it nothing can stop you. This was my breakthrough "I'm a runner" week. Good running.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

DigitalFirefly - Nice start to your W5.  You are half way to done for C25K!  I'll bet you find the program keeps getting easier from this point.

Thanks to everyone for your unflagging encouragement throughout C25K.  I think it took me 11 or 12 weeks to get through it, but it was totally worth it!  My next goal is to run a 10K road race in October hopefully under 65 minutes.  Right now I'm running 4 miles three days a week in about 50 minutes.  I think the goal is achievable in that time frame, but it will require bumping up to four workouts a week at some point in late August or early September.  I'm using a plan generated by Runners World's SmartCoach.  What I liked about this plan is that it was distance based (with a target pace) instead of time based.  This aligns nicely with my distance based approach to most of the C25K workouts.  Anyone else graduate to a distance based program?  What were your experiences?

W5D2.

Normally I run at night when I get home from work.  Today I decided to run first thing in the morning.  I started my warmup walk and my watch beeped to indicate it's time to run.  I wasn't feeling it at all.  I forced my legs to move faster and I was on my way.  I decided to not look at the watch at all for pace or time left.  I just wanted to focus on making it up the hill in front of my without getting tired.  

After a bit I decided to look at my watch and see that I had only been running for 3 or 4 minutes and I had been going for 7 minutes.  I had felt fine, not fatigued at all.  I had a sudden burst of energy and didn't want to slow down for the walking section.  Rather than risk an injury I decided to do the walk and save my 20 minute run for Monday.  By the time I was all done I felt great and I think I could have gone faster through the whole run.

Next up, the 20 minute run on Monday!

Started c25k on 5/30/11