Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

C25K -- W1D1 (Read 330 times)

psycrunner

I went out yesterday morning for a planned 5 mile run, you know, running more than walking, but during the first mile I felt awful and had to stop before I even got to a mile, so I thought ...."blah...I'll try the C25K". I had downloaded the podcasts onto my Ipod, so I just dialed it up and headed off. It was, surprisingly, fun! During the running segments I shot for a 10-minute or so mile, which is about 2 minutes/mile faster than I've ever tried running, and I DID IT! For all 6 (I think) running segments! I felt like a little sprinter out there (I'm sure it looked different to observers, but I felt like a speed demon!) I was definitely breathing hard and tired at the end, so I walked some trails for about 1.5 miles, then slowly jogged the last mile back to the start. At least I felt better at the end than I did at the beginning! I guess I'll stick with this program until foot surgery and see what happens!
    Carol
    Wingz

Professional Noob

"It was, surprisingly, fun!" "At least I felt better at the end than I did at the beginning!" Sounds like you're on the right track! See? Never take advice you get for free on the internet. Tongue Have fun with it!

Roads were made for journeys...

I went out yesterday morning for a planned 5 mile run, you know, running more than walking, but during the first mile I felt awful and had to stop before I even got to a mile, so I thought ...."blah...I'll try the C25K". I had downloaded the podcasts onto my Ipod, so I just dialed it up and headed off. It was, surprisingly, fun! During the running segments I shot for a 10-minute or so mile, which is about 2 minutes/mile faster than I've ever tried running, and I DID IT! For all 6 (I think) running segments! I felt like a little sprinter out there (I'm sure it looked different to observers, but I felt like a speed demon!) I was definitely breathing hard and tired at the end, so I walked some trails for about 1.5 miles, then slowly jogged the last mile back to the start. At least I felt better at the end than I did at the beginning! I guess I'll stick with this program until foot surgery and see what happens!
        Podcasts? Am I missing something here?
        "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves: “Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous?” Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world." ~ Marianne Williamson
          I haven't tried them, but I saved a link for these.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

psycrunner

Yeah...the link Mike posted is the podcasts I downloaded. I used them several times prior to foot surgery and they were okay. Robert's music choices aren't identical to mine (actually I usually run while listening to audible books), but I liked not having to check my garmin all the time to know when to change from running to walking. Unfortunately, having had foot surgery on 6/1, I am still "on the bench". The surgeon says he MAY release me on 8-13, at which time my plan is to start the C25K over again. We'll see how it goes. If the foot still hurts like it does today after the second round of PT yesterday, I won't look forward to runningSad Hope you enjoy the podcasts!
            Carol
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I wish I would have had an iPod when I started...though I don't know that the Podcasts existed over a year ago. I have heard nothing but good things about them, though. Glad you guys have that resource--great motivator! Before you know it you'll be running long races! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay