Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread July 21 - 27 (Read 540 times)

The young Mama Bear!

I'm so jealous of you guys already in OHR. I'm flip-flopping on the subject of moving onto OHR once I graduate. So, W7D1 is done, and I honestly don't know how I'm going to finish this week. It's not self-doubt, it's just my lungs and stomach holding me back. My mind is totally into it, my feet want this badly. I had to slow down to a 14 minute mile pace, and that just disappoints me since I was on a 12.5-13.5 minute mile pace previously. Sometimes my feet just slowed down to a snail's pace...and I'm not kidding. I could have walked faster. Sometimes I didn't think I was moving at all, and sometimes I thought I had stopped! I know that everyone has bad runs, but this one wasn't all bad. At the end, "Just Like You Imagined" by Nine Inch Nails came on, and that's just what I needed. I was surprised that I had a sprint left in me after 24 minutes of jogging, but my stride lengthened considerably and I jogged like that on and off for about 2 minutes (I had to get home, you know.) That was the only good thing about today - I found out that I had just enough energy to make up for my slow pace at the end. My pace ended up being similar to my last 25 minute jog pace, which I guess is okay. What I have been trying to say is that these last few weeks forbode of me getting my tush kicked quite a few times. How did you guys do it?
    Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
    Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
      So, W7D1 is done, and I honestly don't know how I'm going to finish this week. ... What I have been trying to say is that these last few weeks forbode of me getting my tush kicked quite a few times. How did you guys do it?
      First, congratulations on completing W7D1! You have made a great start on a running life and it's important to look back from time to time and recognize how far you've already come. How are you going to finish this week (and every one after that)? Simple, slow down. C25K is designed to help you establish the running habit safely. You either try to accomplish it based on time or distance, not both (though doubtless there are some individuals who are/were capable of it). If you are attempting to accomplish it based on time, then it does not matter how far you go. If you are attempting to accomplish it based on distance, then it does not matter how long it takes you to reach that distance. You see, no matter what you are doing in C25K the appropriate approach is to slow down. If you are feeling fatigued 1/2 way or 3/4 of the way through you are probably running too fast. Everyone here wants to continue to read your posts about and see you progressing in your running life. Please slow down and continue to be a runner. I have run 16 minute miles. There is no shame in that. Every week I get better and run a bit farther and eventually I might run 10 minute miles, then who knows? But I'll only to the 10 minute miles if I can properly prepare my body to do so and it starts with the 16 minute miles. Oh well. That's my 2 cents. Happy running and best of luck. Smile
      zzz

OK W4D3 complete.... and it was 97 degrees outside with 70% humidity... it was butt awful.... on to next week.... i am exhausted and heading to bed... yay... ChupChup based on what you are saying is that we shouldn't be whipped 1/2 or 3/4 way through... I have felt whipped often this week and can't imagine going any slower.... like goddess was saying I could walk faster. so i don't get why my butt is getting kicked every time this week.... i am really frustrated.
          Yesterday's run was W8D3 of Cto5k. I mismeasured and ended up doing three miles instead of 2.75. Guess that means that I'm ready for next week's runs. Next week I'm going to be out of town for my "graduation" run. I'm going to a seminar that is pretty tightly scheduled and staying at a place that I'm totally unfamiliar with. I've sort of pledged to myself that I'm going to get this run in since it's these types of schedule interruptions that have thrown me off track before. My other strategy for staying on track is to have a schedule in place for the following week. I think I'm going to do a modified version of the OHR. My personal sense is that I need to do a variety of different length runs during the week. For example, 30 min, 20 min and 40 min. So, I get the mental relief of knowing that my next run is going to be "easy" and then on my easy run, I'll know that I'm recovering so that I'm ready for my longer run that is next on the calendar. That's my tentative approach, now I just have to put some numbers down on paper to see how it will work. I have a 5k race scheduled for Sept.7 and I'd like to be up to about 4 miles for my long runs so that the race is shorter than my longest distance. Moonstar - your jumping jack's injury made me smile. I'm always doing silly things to my ankles. I can twist my ankles while walking in sneakers. Thus, I avoid high heels as much as possible!!
          ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
          theyapper

On the road again...

ChupChup based on what you are saying is that we shouldn't be whipped 1/2 or 3/4 way through... I have felt whipped often this week and can't imagine going any slower.... like goddess was saying I could walk faster. so i don't get why my butt is getting kicked every time this week.... i am really frustrated.
            Take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, but try this if you haven't already: take shorter, faster strides. There was a point in the OHR that I tried that and it really clicked for me. It's crazy that your time can actually improve and you can feel less tired by taking shorter steps quicker. At first I was trying to really lengthen my stride and the impact on my body really wore me out. But shortening the length and increasing the number of steps I take really helped me. I'm faster, and that's good, but I feel stronger during the run and that's much more important.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

The young Mama Bear!

ChupChup, you have just allowed me a revelation! I was always going for time but I undermined my runs by taking in distance as well. I'm going to the park on Tuesday and just enjoying myself. I guess speed will come later...when I graduate, I'll do some speedwork. And it'll take off that awful ankle pain I get when I do a turn on my regular route.
              ChupChup based on what you are saying is that we shouldn't be whipped 1/2 or 3/4 way through... I have felt whipped often this week and can't imagine going any slower.... like goddess was saying I could walk faster. so i don't get why my butt is getting kicked every time this week.... i am really frustrated.
              I just checked my own logs, and I wrote about W4 being really hard. W4 and on were really hard, but it gets better because you get to prove yourself with those long runs. The intervals should be hard but just hard enough. Like you COULD do more, but you wouldn't really want to do more. Keep your head in it, the best is right up ahead! Smile
              Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
              Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                OK W4D3 complete.... and it was 97 degrees outside with 70% humidity... it was butt awful.... on to next week.... i am exhausted and heading to bed... yay... ChupChup based on what you are saying is that we shouldn't be whipped 1/2 or 3/4 way through... I have felt whipped often this week and can't imagine going any slower.... like goddess was saying I could walk faster. so i don't get why my butt is getting kicked every time this week.... i am really frustrated.
                I suspect your problem is that you don't have a very good imagination. Smile Just kidding. There are several factors that can contribute to exhaustion, but pace is the factor over which you have the most control during a workout. Experience will eventually teach you how the right pace feels. For C25K the right pace for most people should allow them to carry on a conversation with someone without feeling out of breath. I am really struggling with pace myself. I remember what my body used to feel like during workouts when I was an avid runner and even though I know it is wrong I believe that I am not really working out and maximizing my results unless I feel that way now. The problem is that my body is not prepared for that kind of effort and were I to foolishly attempt it my wages would be frustration and injury. What I am trying to say is that I suspect your memories of a fitter past are interfering with your present day perceptions. Of course this is pure conjecture on my part as I have only the vaguest idea who you are and what you are doing. Smile One technique which has worked for me is to run as though I have no idea when the end of the running interval will be and if I start to feel like I couldn't run this way for say several minutes longer I take it back half a notch until I feel comfortable again. You should also rule out or mitigate other factors. Are you well rested? If not, what can you change about your routine to get the rest you need? Is the weather miserable? Perhaps you should run early in the morning or late at night to beat the sun and humidity (but still be safe). Are you famished or did you eat recently? Your body needs food and trying to starve it and still workout is a recipe for disaster. Are you hydrated before the run? I drink lots of water during the day and still drink a glass of water before heading out to run. Are you sick or injured? Are you on medication with side effects? Are you worried about a recent event in your personal or business life? Some of these things are one time random events and you just have to put up with a lousy workout. Others can be remedied in part or whole. Sorry to have rambled on. Best of luck with your running. Smile