Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

C25K - time or distance? (Read 334 times)

quagga

Did you use time or distance for your training intervals and how did you decide? For me, it's been exclusively time-based because it seemed easier on me, but I wonder if I would have different results if I used distance instead. Would it have made a mental difference or a physical difference? Right now I am in Week 8 and am fixated on the watch (or beep) as I near the end of the run. Thoughts, anyone?
    obiebyke

I use time because I'm using the Wollrey podcasts, and that's how they're set up. I figure that'll take me close enough to the 3.1 that I can do that last little bit of training on my own.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

My running partner!

I also use time - it's just easier. I do not do the 3 miles in 30 minutes, but I am starting the 8k training next week and I think I will just push myslef to do the three miles even if I have to slow down. That's what I am hoping anyway.
        Kat
        quagga

So I'm with the majority! I used Robert Ullrey's podcasts as well -- I probably could not have gotten started on C25K without them.
          obiebyke

Right. Ullrey. Robert Ullrey is NOT the same person as Chuck Woolery, Ray... Wink That's totally where my mind was.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

keepgoing

I just finished the couch25k program this morning and I knew from the beginning that I was not going to be able to run for time. I am so slow! So I went for distance. I started with 2 miles and slowly increased it. I didn't feel so much pressure this way and as long as I was completing the distance I could care less how fast I was doing it. I read that eventually speed would come so I didn't stress about it. Good luck! Claire
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Jeannie, I have been running for almost 2 years and until I got my Garmin back in Nov. I had mostly been running for time. Now I kind of do both. Running for time is a really easy way to keep from overdoing the mileage increases, especially without a Garmin to show exactly how far you're going on a particular run. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

quagga

Thanks Zoom-Zoom. I can see that I'm going to enjoy my Garmin once I actually develop a taste for running outside.