Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

embarrassing newbie question (Read 247 times)

running buddies

I'm sure I'm displaying both my age and my out-of-touch-ness, but.. what does HTFU mean? I can guess at the FU part. Wish I could post this anonymously.
    "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)

50 halfs by age 50

Harden The F*$! Up

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

running buddies

thanks - I'm glad I have the newbie group to ask. I got the gist, just needed the specifics.
        "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
        CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Yep, it's basically about sticking it out through a hard run and not wimping out because it is raining (without lightning) or it's otherwise not optimal. Tongue

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

50 halfs by age 50

So what does HTFU mean to everyone? For me it's mental. I can gut through most physical discomfort, but there are LOTS of runs where I lose the mental battle. Some days, my brain just isn't in it. Since I've been on this board, I try to remember to HTFU when I hit those days. How 'bout you?

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

For me, HTFU is all about the mental game. Sometimes that overlaps with the physical - i.e. Is this pain real?, but more often it's the mental challenge of wiping away all of the potential excuses. In a way, it's my primary goal - to not let my old mental game pull me back towards laziness. The running is secondary!!
              ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer

The young Mama Bear!

I've actually never heard of HTFU, but I think that's that's an AMAZING motto! I've found that running for me isn't really about my body...it's about getting into the right mindset. If I think I can jog for 5 minutes, I can. It's all about breaking through mental barriers and knowing that pain is only temporary. Sleepy
                Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                  Like some others have said, I think the HTFU aspect of regular running is one of the best aspects of it for me. I constantly talk to people at work that know I run and I often encounter people that feel the need to explain why they don't. I listen politely knowing that unless I made it a priority I wouldn't have the time to run either (and I don't even run very much in the grand scheme of things). It feels good to know that you are building the ability to get a thing done no matter rain or hail or sleet or busy and shit hitting the fan or what ever! I'm watching my hubby trying to get into running now and noticing that he is still skipping lots of runs for poor planning and the need of a little HTFU in that area. It will come, I'm sure.
                  The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
                  • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
                  • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
                  • Complete a 10K fun run
                  zzz

i think i want to get a t-shirt/singlet that has that printed on it. Smile maybe we could design and sell them to the members on this site.
                      I would like to have it on a running rain jacket for winter *snickers*
                      You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here

The young Mama Bear!

Guys! There's one of those jelly bracelets where you can get HTFU on it. http://www.hardenthefup.com/?gclid=CJH_rsu2ppQCFQhzHgodlnLNuA I'm gonna buy one. I think I need it there, taunting me. Tongue
                        Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                        Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                          For some reason that link wouldn't work. If it doesn't for anyone, try this one: Wristband
                          ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer