Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Week 01/29-02/05 (Read 219 times)

Well, let me join this group once more ;-), just like about a year ago.

No, not out of a New Year's resolution... (In fact, I was ready to restart by the end of December, but waited a little bit longer so that it wouldn't look like a New Year's Resolution....)

I'm not exactly doing C25K, but a variation of Start2Run that I already described in this thread.

I'm now in week 2 of the six week variant, since I still had some form and muscles left ;-).

But I run very slow now.  Really, really slow... I guess I won't overtake a snail...

I (re)started running last year and secretly dreamed of being able to run a half to celebrate my 50th birthday (in September of this year), but it was about May when someone talked me into attempting the half marathon in Eindhoven in October (of last year).  And that definitely was too soon, and by doing to much too soon, I lost the opportunity to really do what I dreamed of...

I'm still not sure if I will ever make racing plans again... I like running, also without the challenge of a race... But secretly I keep dreaming...  but not for 2012...

http://www.traildeshautesfagnes.be/

Running in Belgium
    Ann

Train, and increment slowly, don't get injured or lose your motivation, and a ½ marathon completion isn't unreasonable by September this year. If you were running more than 10K last summer, you will get back to that point much easier the second time. Don't make not getting their a failure either, but don't rule it out completely. Just train to get better, and see where you are in the summer.

My coach is in his late 60s and is planning on running a marathon this year for the first time in years, he's a freakishly good runner, but his training is still having a huge conditioning effect.

Good luck!

Ann-V, I'm a very slow runner too.  I think some of that is the weight I've gained over the last 3 years (medication related, mostly).  I finished up week 2 of c25k today, starting the month of February off right.  Felt better on this 3rd run of the week than I did on the first run of the week, so I guess the plan is working out.

Michele in NC

Good to see I'm not the only one around here...

I get the impression that through the years, less beginners are hanging around on this forums....  (I came here first in 2006, and at that time this group was rather buzzy...)

Yesterday I did the second training of my second week.

I was wearing a HRM, and have tried to keep my pulse as close to 126 (Maffetones 180-formula) as possible.  I felt even more like a slug as during previous runs, so I was glad I was running in the dark ;-)

I saw that during my walking intervals my pulse dropped almost immediately, and I didn't feel tired at all afterwards.

Running in Belgium
          Ann

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Hey if ya'll wanna talk slow running I probably have yer all beat... well not really! But I am sure slow! Took 3:12 for Sunday's half and that was basically a downhill run that most PB on!

Don't sweat ya pace, remember its still faster than couch potatoes!

bob e v
            2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Thanks Bob ev...

In fact, I don't mind my (lack of) pace... and after all, it's stimulating to run very slow in the first weeks of coming back in training, and than seeing that after a couple of weeks/months, those pace-indicating numbers are gradually changing in something better looking ;-)

Running in Belgium
              Ann

Keep on running!  I'm slow too but that hardly matters.  To run faster, run longer.  To run longer, run slower.  You just need to keep wearing out the bottoms of your shoes..

bobev - congrats on the half marathon!  You've come a long ways.

Did Week2, run 3 yesterday evening, trying again to keep my HR as close to 126 (Maffetone's 180-formula).

But although I ran terribly slow, and I didn't feel like I was doing any effort (I guess I could have been giving a complete lecture while running), it seemed impossible to keep my HR low (it seemed to be above 140 each time the audio-feedback gave me info, even while walking.  Normally my HR drops .)  So this wasn't motivating at all...

But after having looked at my graph, I got the impression that my HRM hadn't been recording consistently.  Several streches of the line showed a complete horizontal line, without the slightest variation.  I think I didn't wet the electrodes enough...  At least I know that I shouldn't be too focused on my HRM alone, I can listen to my body too.

Oh yes, after a very mild December and January, temperatures suddenly have dropped here, and it was very cold yesterday, but it was a beautiful clear sky with a bright moon... That's part of the reason I like running...

Running in Belgium
                  Ann

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Ann - be sure the strap is tight. I find mine keeps slipping and could be cause of dropouts. There can also be static electricity from tech shirts in cold, dry weather. Might want to track what shirt your wearing when irratic data is generated.

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

W3D1 for me.  That last 3' run was uphill and was difficult to get through!  Completed the workout, though tough, and on to the next challenge.

Michele in NC

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Michele - do you have level ground you can run on? Might help. Don't be afraid to slow to a crawl if you get out of the conversational pace zone. Stay conversational, two sentences w/o gasping so you know your aerobic and not into anaerobic state.

got a 90 min total time on feet MAF test this morning, almost 6 mi. Fun conditions, for me anyway, 43F, gusts to 30, overcast, sporadic drizzle at the start, light rain the last 2 mi.

bob e v

W3D2 for me today to close out the week.  I wish I has some flat ground, bobev, but that's hard to come by around my house unless I run at the elementary school track, and I just don't have that in me!

That last 3' run interval was tough, once again, but I didn't notice that I was breathing particularly hard, so that tells me it's a mental challenge more than a physical one.  I'm just gutting out the run intervals, but it should pay off in the end.

Finish up week 3 on Tuesday!

Michele in NC

My run yesterday was cold, cold, cold...

After an extremely mild December and January, we are suddenly thrown in the middle of an unusual cold winter... It's freezing day and night since over a week, with temperatures at night of  -15°C (5° F).  It snowed on Friday, so it's really beautiful around here now...

I was wearing gloves, but after about a mile my fingers were hurting terribly, and it took a while before they were warm.

But despite the cold, I was enjoying it...

My HRM gave me erratic readings again, most in the second half of the run. 

@bobev: I guess you were right to point to my shirt (combined with the cold) as a possible reason...  I'm going to wear something else tomorrow...

(View from our garden gate...)

Running in Belgium
                            Ann